Citrixing from a Mac to a PC - Zoom tips

Hi all,

If you have a PC at work, but personally use a Mac, or are considering using some form or remote PC for office, etc. I have two notes I’ve recently learned about Zoom:

There is a specific “VDI” plugin that lets the virtual machine offload most of the zoom video work to your Mac locally, rather than routing the traffic through the PC. It’s a lot better performance.

That VDI plug-in doesn’t support virtual cameras, i.e. using el gatos software to make your phone a webcam. I got it to work for zooms I join from my Mac, but not from the virtual machine. I’ve also seen gallery view freeze sometimes, but that may be a configuration issue - although I don’t see it if I connect to the virtual machine from an iPad.

Regardless, I wanted to share my experience as it looks like many of us will be working remotely through the new year.

2 Likes

Thanks for your tips. Are you talking about running the zoom application on the remote PC or locally on your Mac?

On the remote PC. The helper app / plug in puts part of it on your Mac. I don’t know that I’d do it outside a corporate or similar environment, but its neat if you have a more locked down work environment.

The newest version of Camo supports the virtual machine, and every other app I’ve thrown at it.