Cloud Provider Recommendations and Workflow

I had major issues on first sync where it took ages to setup and get everything sorted, but after that, I’ve had no issues.

1 Like

I haven’t ran into a situation that’s concerned me. It may happen when I’m syncing a photo shoot or editing 500 mb tiff files. In those situations, it still works. From my experiences, I can’t say the same for GSuite.

Thanks for the feedback. However every time I hear something positive about Microsoft that makes me want to give them another chance, I quickly end up frustrated and wasting a lot time.

EXAMPLE TODAY: I opened an Excel file on my iMac, went into the library to continue to work on it on my MBA M1. Tells me the file is locked and I need to save a copy. Why is this still happening in 2020?? I’ve now spent 30 minutes trying to find the solution, no luck so far.

If it was still open on the iMac and not saved in Onedrive, this is expected behaviour to prevent two people working on the same file. If in Onedrive, multiple people can access and update the same file.

I’ve happily worked on an Excel file on my M1 Mac, whilst a colleague has been updating the same file on his MS Surface, with the file saved in a Teams (Sharepoint) folder.

1 Like

That is the problem. It was saved in OneDrive. To make sure, I saved and closed both instances and then re-opened both again. Same issue.

Indeed, multiple people working on the same file! Indeed, it is 2020!

I needed a service that would work on my personal M1 (which I use for a lot of work tasks now) as well as on my work-issued laptop (windows 10). I would just use iCloud but my problem is that Apple does not provide an install file directly outside of the Windows 10 App Store, and my employer doesn’t allow any apps to be installed from the Windows 10 App Store : (

Aside from that, getting a cloud file service to work has been a pain for me with my M1 Air. Apple has tightened down the kernel extensions and many of these services relied on that it seems. OneDrive was really flaky and kept forcing me to login to it constantly. I was successfully using pCloud for years with no issues, and it mounts as a network drive by default which is ideal for me. But their app doesn’t work with M1 at all, and they really disappointed me with their support over this - I opened a support ticket telling them it doesn’t work with M1. They then replied with steps to uninstall and reinstall with this new build (which turned out to be the same as the one on their website…). After telling them that doesn’t work either, they then replied days later with a “try this M1 build” which didn’t work.

I gave up and canceled my subscription. Then, a week or so later, I got an email from their Support asking me to try this new M1 beta build. I didn’t bother at first but then, about a week later, tried it and it didn’t work - same deal - kernel extension issues. It appears to install but then can’t ever mount the drive. I emailed them back and then a few days later they finally responded with, (paraphrasing) “It worked for Big Sur 11.0 but you updated to 11.1. We can’t support 11.1 as it is so new and Apple changed things again.” Gee, thanks for having me be your testing service! At least they now clearly state M1 11.0 on their download page, but you know everyone’s just going to try it on 11.1. Anyone with an M1 is going to upgrade I’m sure.

Trying Dropbox (no subscription/free account) and am just going to use it for transferring files to/from my work laptop as needed.