"Compute" as a noun?

In mainframe we don’t use “compute” as a noun. We use “computation”. But then we’re proper computing. :slight_smile:

I am trying to picture an area manager asking for “more compute!!!”. :smiley:

1 Like

English is basically a germanic/roman creole that developed after the Norman Conquest.
Thats why its grammar is so weird and inconsistent as is its pronunciation and spelling.

Calling English a creole is of course debatable, haha. English gave up V2 word order, wich all the germanic languages have, though. That is why I call it a creole:)

1 Like

Ha. I think of data as like fish, same whether plural or singular. I’ll never use the singular “datum”.

The debate has caused “considerable controversy” apparently!

1 Like

Could it be short for Computronium ie matter that can compute/does compute?

2 Likes

Could always be really bad German. :wink:

http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/b/blinkenlights.html

3 Likes

@Benjamin_D well given that my great(x3) grandfather migrated from Mosbach Germany to the US, hence my last name Mosbacker, I should learn German! I was in Mosbach a few years ago. Once I shared my last name and heritage, I was offered a lot of free beer! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One of the free imperial cities of the holy roman empire.

@Lars Huh, well I’ve been telling my wife for years that I was “royalty” now I have proof!! :slight_smile:

You can also tell her you are probably the descendant of a Gallic Roman warrior, recruited in the Pyenees, since in the 2nd century the “Cohors tertia aquitanorum equitata civium romanorum” (3rd mounted cohort of Roman citizens from Aquitania) was stationed around Mosbach to guard the Neckar-Odenwald-Limes (defensive line).

1 Like

@Lars She’ll still make me take out the garbage! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At least you tried… :smiley:

And to avoid being blamed of hijacking the thread: “to compute” comes from latin “computare”. So we could ask out Legionnaire ancestors. :smiley:

1 Like

I’d never encountered this use of “compute” before. Now I’m guessing I will sometime soon…

Better to get introduced to it here. Normally I have to hear people say it in meetings a few times before I’m certain I wasn’t imagining it. Recent examples of that include “learnings” and “performant.”

2 Likes

Loving south-western Germany, I’m from further north (Hesse) and now live even further north (in Norway actually, haha).
Great that you could get some freebies:)

2 Likes

I have never encountered this before. Now I’m in the know (another great noun;). Thank you!

1 Like

Heroes take out the garbage without being told, you know :slight_smile:

Now that made me laugh!! So I guess that makes me a heel! :slight_smile: Actually, I do have Siri reminding me, but not my wife. Siri is nicer when she remind me. LoL!

1 Like

This reminds me of when I started hearing “social” as a noun.

2 Likes