Confession: Omnifocus Usage

I need to confess….my Omnifocus usage has decreased. I didn’t go to another app.

In the past, I used it regularly. Filled it with projects, tasks, tags, to my heart’s content.

But now….I use it mainly for just 2 projects only and it consists more of trackers. I use IFTTT to pull things into Omnifocus which help me in posting content to other places, in addition to some bill tracking which is easier when it’s in Omnifocus.

What happened you ask?

1. My day is mainly homeschooling my children - I have a set routine with my kids that I’ve memorized. Once that’s over, the remainder of my day is a set of appointments that are in my calendar.
  • caveat - sometimes in my appointments, I will add tasks if necessary, but it’s rare.
  1. I have rediscovered the feeling of a Pilot G-2 07 Black and Red pens along with several notebooks. The feeling of the ink as it slowly spills out on to the paper surface knowing that there is no undo button. Almost magical.

So…my confession, my day doesn’t necessarily begin with Omnifocus, sometimes it’s a scribble in my notebook while balancing my kids as my coffee drips a stain into my notebook reminding me of the organized chaos.

What’s your tech confession?

6 Likes

Hey, that sounds like successful OF usage to me. I like how it resizes easily.

My confession is that I haven’t touched my Nintendo Switch in weeks. I feel bad because it was a hand-me-down gift from a friend and we were excited to play together. Thinking of paying it forward.

Don’t grow old, friends!

3 Likes

I’m fond of Uniball Micro .5mm and a steno pad myself, just like I prefer pencil on paper over my drawing tablet. :slight_smile:

And speaking for myself and task apps, it seems easy to get caught up fussing about with how to organize and enter tasks to the detriment of actually getting things done. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Since this is turning into a pen thread, I have to give props to the Studio Neat Mark One. I got one from the original Kickstarter and liked it enough that I’ve bought several more.

Still using a digital task manager though (Things).

2 Likes

While I love the Mark One, I love a nice fountain pen even more. I fell into the FP rabbit hole a few years ago and now I thrill each time I pick one up - they range from 1930’s British via modern high-quality Japanese, German and British to cheap but lovely Chinese.

And I still use OF, but paper notebooks are my thinking tool

3 Likes

Same. I’ve recently abandoned a lot of digital tools and picked up a Midori Traveler’s Notebook and some fountain pens. It’s been great to go back to pen and paper. It’s slowed everything down and helped me focus.

4 Likes

This is a perfect quote.
With digital systems and the ease of creating tasks, it often seems the only task really accomplished is creating a large pile of tasks.
When you have to let the brain-hand interface engage in an analog manner, you are more aware of what you’re noting, which (I believe) leads to better retention.
I can quickly capture a pile of stuff but if I write about individual items, my mind tucks that away in a very different way.

5 Likes

About 3 months ago, I took everything out of Things and OmniFocus.

I have two cork boards in my office next to two white boards (each is 36 X 24)

This was the day of installation:

I bought a stack of generic index cards from Amazon. I keep them on my desk. When I think of something that I need/want to do, I write them on a card. One task per card (unless that tasks has an obvious followup task, in which case I’ll write that on it too.

At the end of the day, I look through my index cards. If I’ve done the task, I tear the card in half and recycle it. If I haven’t, I put it on one of the cork boards.

The white boards are used for things I plan to do today. They should be blank at the end of the day. (*)

The two on the left (one whiteboard, one cork board) are for ‘work’ and the right two are ‘personal’.

I feel more “on top of things” than I have for years. It’s much easier to get an overview of everything I’m working on.

Also, when I start to run out of space on the cork boards, it tells me that I need to either decide to do things or that I’m not going to do them.

Generally speaking, things on the left side of the cork board are more important. Middle is ‘upcoming’. Right side is “important but not urgent.”

(*) the white boards should be empty of today’s tasks, but if I am on-the-ball, I should have tomorrow’s important tasks written on there so when I get up in the morning, I don’t have to figure out what is important to do that day.

10 Likes

Oooh Pen Thread (forgive me Father)… :nerd_face:

My daily carry is Moleskine hardback notebook, quiver pen holder, Pilot Vanishing Point FP, Lamy Multicolo(u)r ballpen

Re Omnifocus I drastically reduced the number of individual projects some time ago, replacing most with ‘Home flow’ and ‘Work flow’ a la Kourosh Dini. That helped a lot

1 Like

At my last corporate gig, we sticky-noted whiteboards a lot.

When I run projects, I use corkboards and index cards a lot. Simple, clear and visible to the whole team.

I have transitioned from OF to a bullet journal like system in an Hobonichi cousin avec (after using an hybrid system for some years).

But I’ve always had much more paper and pens than the average person, so… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Can you describe your IFTT → OF use cases? Sounds interesting

Couldn’t edit the original for some reason, I used to use IFTT, but have moved to Zapier to bring things into Omnifocus. Example, each week I review an audio file that is on SoundCloud for a specific project by a friend. Instead of asking him for an update or any of that, I have Zapier linked to his SoundCloud RSS. I enter the info and then it pops up into my Omnifocus when he uploads a new file. I am sure there are easier ways, but this works for me and gives me flexibility to mess around with other stuff in Zapier.

1 Like