I thought I would share what has become a frequently used search method on my iPad. This mimics some basic Alfred-like Mac capability using Siri type to talk.
Steps for use:
- Activate Siri with the Globe-S shortcut on magic keyboard
- Type “Search” (you can shorten the Shortcuts name ( eg, “s” ) to make it easier to launch. I left it as Search for this example to be unambiguous)
- Press tab
- Type search term
- Press enter
- Choose search destination
My iPad Siri settings (Settings > Accessibility > Siri):
- Type to Siri - ON
- Voice Feedback - Only with Hey Siri
There are 2 dependencies for setup:
Add the shortcut that Siri will use when you type “Search”
Setup the configurable single step Drafts action with the sites to search. You will likely want to edit the Drafts action to include the search locations of interest to you.
I hope this is useful for somebody else. Glad to answer questions — jay
Here’s my current list of sites or apps that are included in my search. You can edit this list and create your own within the Drafts action.
- 1Password - local 1Password vault
- Beer Advocate
- Google Maps
- Rotten Tomatoes
- Terminology - local Terminology app search
- Urban Dictionary
- WolframAlpha - local Wolfram Alpha app search