Configuring Time Machine

Sorry, I obviously wasn’t clear - I followed guides to get MinIO installed on the Synology so Arq could back up to it rather than via SFTP.

I’ve no interest in getting Time Machine working with the Synology, as I’ve run in to far to many issues with it in the past to make it worthwhile. It’s always failed at the crucial time - restore. So Time Machine is either local drive only, or not at all.

3 Likes

Apparently some things have changed with MinIO since these guides were written. I had also issues getting it to work the first time, following these guides.

A thing that was different from the guides was that I had to use the environment variables MINIO_ROOT_USER and MINIO_ROOT_PASSWORD.

What’s the error you get? Is there anything in the (Docker) log?

1 Like

MinIO appeared to have booted and started up without issues - I just couldn’t connect to it locally and it was giving me an IP address that wasn’t mine (or the NAS’s). It also wouldn’t grab port 9000, even though I can’t see anything else using that. I couldn’t connect via the web interface or Arq.

I didn’t devote much time to troubleshooting as Arq is working, and as the saying goes, if it works, don’t fix it!

1 Like

That’s a pity. Just for others to consider, I test my restore from TimeMachine about once a quarter (from all backup devices USB and Synology NAS). Just works. Don’t know how to debug. Just to point out to others that it is indeed possible

1 Like