Conflicted! Data storage - Individual files or proprietary database format?

I should go back to fix that, but I think I won’t. Eagle Filet is just too good

2 Likes

I stand corrected, thanks for this; I searched more and you are correct. Much appreciated!

@anon41602260 what’s your feedback on FoxTrot. I have been looking forward to see where it fits. Is it a contender to DEVONthink?

You’re making me hungry.

3 Likes

I use Ulysses too (forgot about that!)

I use it to create church services, each sheet being a separate part of the service. This lets me monitor word counts, take non printed notes and add/drop components. I can then export an individual part for printing e.g. all age talk or the overall order of service, or export the whole thing for my iPad in a format I’ve created for readability on the day (big font, bright colours for bold and emphasis).

I don’t have the need to export long term - the “final product” which I archive in EagleFiler (I’ve not tried EagleFilet yet) is the complete exported Word doc.

I find Markdown fast to use and edit, but I agree the plain text for longevity is overblown. It seems unlikely we wouldn’t have a great batch export functionality for Word documents if something new comes along in my lifetime. As products like Obsidian add advanced functionality (like block referencing) in non standard ways, the files become incompatible with other products anyway - at least as they were intended to be read. Even highlighting doesn’t work across products.

1 Like

FoxTrot is excellent as a search tool – in comparison with HoudahSpot, Find Any File, or EasyFind, I usually get a broader set of results from FoxTrot. I suppose you’re thinking of FoxTrot as a contender for DEVONthink’s “See Also and Classify” search capabilities. “See Also and Classify” is word-based – it searches for instances of the search term string located within a very large concordance that DEVONthink builds of all the “words” in a database. FoxTrot also builds an index (similar to a concordance) of everything located in the indexing scope you define. (I choose to index all email and everything that is in Documents, Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, Desktop and Downloads.) I think the ability to parameterize the search is about the same in both apps. The difference is the scope – my FoxTrot indices are far broader than the scope of my databases in DEVONthink.

So, short story, FoxTrot IMO is the best if you want to search every document on your disk; DEVONthink is best for a narrower scope limited to databases you’ve defined.

2 Likes

@anon41602260 thanks a lot. Appreciate your inputs very much :slight_smile:

Houdah does incredible searches. I never have to use anything else!

2 Likes

Drafts drafts are stored in database that isn’t searchable in finder on macOS. If you Alfred you can search Drafts with the below workflow.

Doctor Drafts

1 Like

Thanks for that, appreciated; ironically I dropped Alfred and put Launchbar back since they fixed it. I couldn’t get used to the workflows at all. I know they are good and I had a couple of ready mades I used a lot!.

The Drafts developer, I am sure, though I might misremember, told me there is a spotlight tick box and I am sure I ticked it! Lots of power users say what you do, but I think they are wrong. Wouldn’t you need it to show in spotlight anyway for the Alfred workflow to work? Unless the two apps have some arrangement?

Thing is too that I find a lot of Ulysses is now muscle memory shortcuts for me and I really am inclined, for just 40$ a year to stick with it? I did like Drafts though I have to say and might try it again alongside. I find with doing that though you get too many places where stuff is and my strategy really was to remove that aspect of my preious work flows. If I can search then that removes the need.
I am also waiting for Godot :grinning: for Brett Terpstra’s app to arrive.

Yes, I am down to that tactic really. It means I don’t have to over fuss as to where things are all the time: it means, as I imply to @Loren below, that all my note apps and files have to be spotlight searchable though or I start missing stuff, that is because HS uses the native index I believe. To date on HS I have never needed anything beyond the basic default template either or had to go to DEVONthink 3 's own amazing internal search. Quite incredible really compared to a couple of years ago.

Mail has to be open too for HS to search that.

1 Like

To date I have never needed anything beyond HS and even then I have only ever used the default search set up. However thanks for the heads up and under the hood stuff about it all and about FoxTrot.

Even trying FoxTrot Pro and liking it so far. It’s wicked fast. So far I have been having it index at 2:00 AM everyday. Still in the free trial. I mostly will subscribe to it. Thanks @anon41602260

1 Like

OK maybe I will give it a trial sometime. My set up now is so good that any changes, even if the substitute is better in many ways is counter productive very often. Even just re learning the interface, set up, shortcuts etc… Really a new set of issues than I ever faced on IT before. I regret moving from EndNote Biblio to Bookends, though Bookends is really as good or better than EndNote: however it involves setting up some styles on your own or looking for them and for me, the time spent wasn’t really worth it. I would recommend though Bookends over EndNote if you were starting from scratch. Kind of tricky now a days. I am in the same place with Ulysses and for sure DEVONthink 3. I find Keyboard Maestro so good that I don’t even look at Shortcuts, which I found puzzling and clumsy when I did try some of them on ios.