Congrats Dr. @JohnATL! šŸ¦¾

Congratulations Dr. J! :brain:

Congratulations :champagne: Dr. @JohnAtl

Congratulations! :champagne::champagne::champagne: Iā€™m sure it was an exercise in perseverance!

Congratulations @JohnAtl !!!

Congratulations! Congratulations a second time because 20 characters!

1 Like

Congratulations man, well done! Me, I donā€™t even fully understand the title. It is aiming to ease peopleā€™s use of their new prosthetic arms, is it?

Congratulations! One of those truly impressive achievements!

Congratulations! Way to go!

Congrats!

Congratulations!! @JohnAtl! Well-deserved

Congratulations @JohnAtl , what a great achievement!

@JohnAtl, please accept my congratulations.

Well done @JohnAtl !

Now, to which particular app do you ascribe your fantastic success?

Only kidding! :joy:

Wow!
Thanks everyone!

Most people who have upper-extremity limb loss donā€™t use prostheses. Those who do only do so 50% of the time they could. Weā€™ve all seen the new high-tech Iron Man arms, etc. but the rejection rates remain high, so engineering isnā€™t solving the problem. My thinking going in was it is the loss of sensory information that has a major effect on prosthesis disuse. Sensory loss as in the inability to feel with a prosthesis, and also sensory loss as in not knowing the motor (muscle) commands that lead to the prosthesisā€™ movements when we are watching someone use a prosthesis.

Hereā€™s the announcement

Thanks @beck for the announcement here, thanks @DrJJWMac for help with LaTeX, and thanks everyone for the kudos :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

It could be up to a year, as it will be embargoed until we publish the rest of the work.

To understand why people hate using them.

One of my participants, a quadruple amputee, drove in without her arm prostheses on.Carried them in in a bag, put them on for my study, then immediately took them off to fill out some paperwork.

2 Likes

Congratulations, Dr @JohnAtl! That is impressive.

1 Like