Contemplating to go all-in on iOS

Not exactly in the spirit of your question.

Slide the Mac in the closet. See how it goes… good, bad, indifferent. Written from the viewpoint my world is not a flaming ruin if my digital devices disappear.

Less fun… and so forth

1 Like

I know you use iA Writer but Ulysses‘ „Publish to…“ feature works surprisingly well for me. I also have a self-hosted Wordpress.org blog and work a lot on my iPad Pro. Not everything is possible with this feature but this is no big deal. I write the article, use the Publish feature and then finetune it in the editor - saves me a lot of time for copy-pasting and arranging in the editor.

Perhaps you wanna give it a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I could tame Mail folders, I would go “all in” without question, but that issue is keeping my MBP with me currently. I moved my folders from “On my Mac” to iCloud and now have 200+ unstackable folders on the iPad Pro. If the Mail folders would stack on the iPad, I would be living in a perfect world.

1 Like

No worries, I like that this topic makes people think & rethink :smiley:

Just as every reply makes me think & rethink if this is the time to do this, or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use IA Writer on the MBA and love it. I haven’t tested it on iOS yet, but are considering to test drive it on my son’s iPad soon, as a pre-test.
Right now I use Pixelmator on the iPhone for light editing for web, and Photoshop on MBA for heavy photo editing. I know that PS is coming for iPad with full blown version, but are looking towards Pixelmator Pro - I’m convinced that will simply run better on iPad.

That’s probably what I’ll go for. I was considering the 10.5" but when going heavy on automation and text writing, blog & site management I think the extra screen estate will come in handy :smiley:

I considered Ulysses for a while, but I’d like to keep my subscriptions to a minimum, having, already, more than 4 subscriptions related to blogging, photo editing, and general office related work/management :thinking:

@dhil49 I use the Spark client which is free, on both iPhone & MacOS - I’d give that a try - it has some amazing sorting options collecting all mails that matter in a Personal “inbox”, notifications in Notifications, and the rest in a sort of general type folder

You might want to take a look at Affinity Photo as well.

2 Likes

I totally understand your point regarding subscriptions. Maybe Setapp could be an option? They include the iOS license for Ulysses.

1 Like

Probably should post a heart/like. But you touched on a Ulysses feature that I appreciate. Certainly does not do all but just setting images in the flow of text is useful. And, as you noted, finalizing in WordPress is no hardship.

2 Likes

I ran through the features, and I might give that a go, as well :slightly_smiling_face:

I actually didn’t know know that - does that go for all their apps, or only Ulysses? :thinking:

Anyway, I’m beginning to see a pattern emerge here, that going all iOS probably wouldn’t be too much of a change, workflow wise.
Now I just need to find out if I’ll be able to have automation running, well, automatically :laughing: concerning the secondary site backup - but if not, I’ll set a Reminder to manually backup all Dropbox site-specific files to iCloud :thinking:

Unfortunately, only for Ulysses. They promised to work on more MacOS + iOS deals but for now this is the only bundle I am aware of. But I could be wrong on this one, not sure. But for Ulysses it definitely works, have it on my Mac at home and my iPad for when I‘m away. :slight_smile:

Well, we’re still in the early days of app subscription - I’m prettty sure we’ll see more subscriptions as more people make the switch from laptops top tablets (Apple as well as non-Apple produced).

But all in all, I’m actually considering getting myself a 64Gb 10.5" iPad Pro, a Bluetooth keyboard, and maybe an Apple Pencil.
It’s more than powerful enough for me to write articles, and do RAW+ editing in Pixelmator (Pro when it is released) - and I’m able to connect an external display, if I need to do some serious image editing.
And it’s portable, of course :smiley:

Just wait a few days/weeks before you finalize that list, since word is that the 10.5 will be replaced by a new 11" model with Face ID. (And inside the code for iOS12 is reference to a new IPAD2018FALL model.)

2 Likes

For editing RAW photos, you might consider if 64GB is enough. These tend to be quite big, and will probably be even bigger for the next camera you get. Not to mention video…

I am now eagerly waiting for the replacement to my trusty 12.9 Pro (original) and will probably go for a 256GB WiFi model. I have been using an external BT keyboard for many years now, as I prefer to keep the overall size of the iPad itself small.

About the Apple Pencil - while I’m not loving the current design, the usage and utility for me is quite fantastic.

2 Likes

OK, I hadn’t heard - but seems like I might hold off for a bit yet :grinning:

Yeah that did cross my mind, but I’m transitioning from part DSLR camera part iPhone to 95% iPhone RAW with the 5% DSLR strictly for the use cases I can’t use the iPhone camera (but the list is getting shorter almost day by day :smiley:) so I figure 64Gb could be enough since all temporary photos as well as the final product images are all stored in specific folders in iCloud, but the space issue is still something I’ve yet to decide, though

Tonny, you know what you want in memory not arguing. I got 256 because 64GB felt too tight. With apps and other junk I filled 50+ GB. No much in the way of music or photos stored on my device. A 100 GB would have satisfied me but it was not an option.

There was also a small distant voice whispering, “adding tablet memory is clunky if not impossible.”

1 Like

I’m in the same situation as you Tonny. I have also have a 13’inch MacBook Air mid-2013 starting to show its fatigue - I will never go for one of the newer MacBooks or MacBook Pros (because of the keyboard), so I’m stuck with this - for which reason I will be all-in on a new MacBook Air with retina screen, man I hope that comes out.

I will never consider going all-in on iOS. I don’t own an iPad and I won’t get one anytime soon. For me the form-factor of a 13-inch laptop is perfect. I’m so much more efficient with all my apps on a laptop. I probably could get to an equal amount of efficiency on an iPad, but it would take me a long time and again, the form-factor of having a laptop on my lap on the couch is perfect.

Of course the laptop is much more expensive. But I usually get a new laptop every 5-6 years. If I went all in on an iOS, I would have to get a new iPad at quicker intervals than 5-6 years and I imagine the cost would nearly be the same

1 Like

I have always found the laptop form factor horrible on my lap. I’d much rather have a tablet. I only use laptops on a table or desk (and even there I find the ergonomics far inferior to a real desktop).

1 Like

I have never come around to the iPad. I find it so slow to touch things when I can just use keyboard shortcuts on a laptop

If I’m not mistaken keyboard shortcuts also work on iPad :thinking:

Can anyone confirm this to be true?

2 Likes

They do with an external keyboard!

1 Like