Convince me to keep my Apple Watch, please!

I’ve had it for a few days now, but I gotta be honest. Apart from the notifications, the remote control capabilities, the pretty screens, and maybe Drafts dictation, I can’t get my head around it being an indispensible piece of hardware. And I’m constantly worried about hitting it against something. Also, I get the same, or better, fitness performamce data from my trusty Fitbit. What am I missing???

Don’t worry about hitting it against something unless you routinely wear it while doing heavy labor or rock climbing. If you’re in a situation where you’d wear another watch, you’ll probably be fine with your Apple Watch.

I’ve had mine for a year or so. I wear it all day, every day. Playing with the dog. Washing dishes. Washing my hands. Occasionally I accidentally whap it against a doorjamb or wall. It’s still working fine.

It’s not lifechanging like a smartphone or internet access was. It’s a nice-to-have, not a gotta-have. Here’s how I use it:

• Notifications. That’s the big one. My phone is on mute at all times.
  • Alarm clock to wake me up.
  • As a watch, of course.
  • Track my workouts. I don’t care about performance and I ignore the famous Rings. But my workout is a brisk walk 3 miles on weekdays, four miles on weekends. The watch tells me when I’ve hit the turnaround pont.
  • Remote control for podcasts on the workouts.

I could probably do more with it. But I’m satisfied with it as is.

That said, it’s not for everyone.

2 Likes

I’ve been on the fence in regards to purchasing an Apple Watch since the day it was released.

I currently have a very nice traditional watch which I wear daily and while I have had a long line of Apple devices right back to the original Apple IIe I’m still not sure if I can justify a use case for buying the watch.

Will be interested in the replies to this post to see if it tips me over the edge into buying one :slight_smile:

I’ve worn it every day for almost 3 years. Ever since then my iPhone has been on mute. I see any notifications that come up. I can decline calls easily if I am in a situation where I can’t pick up my phone (I’m a substitute teacher so in the classroom). I use the timer a lot: watering the yard, cooking, timed tasks for the kids. I track my workouts. Quick glance at the temperature. The Breathe app has helped me slow down my heart and relax a little before job interviews. I’ve also gotten into collecting 3rd party watch bands and it is nice to change things up once in a while.

1 Like

For me, the biggest feature is notifications. I wish I used the fitness tracking features more, but I don’t. (Maybe one day.)

What I really like about the Apple Watch is the way it disconnected me from my phone. When I’m with friends or family my phone stays put away and know that if something important happens, the notification will come through on my watch. At work, I don’t take my phone into meetings because, again, if something important happens I have my watch to notify me.

I would also say don’t fret about breaking it. I’ve worn an Apple Watch every day since it was released and never had a problem. I seem to have a knack for banging it on door frames. I do have one very small scuff on the side, but it’s barely noticeable. My mom did crack her crystal, but she dropped it on a tile floor from shoulder height and it landed square on the face. I try to make sure I’m taking mine on and off (the danger time) in my bedroom which has a carpet floor.

You have 14 days (perhaps more depending on where you bought it) to try it. I’d say give it a little time. If it’s not your thing, you can always return it.

2 Likes

@nlott raises a great point. @arg245 I don’t know what line of work you are in, but in many jobs, using a smartphone is inappropriate. In some retail and other jobs, it’s forbidden to even have it on your person. However, those people leave their phones in their lockers and wear an Apple Watch and therefore they can get notifications while working.

I expect the employers who ban smartphones will eventually ban Apple Watches, but until then, you’re golden.

The Apple Watch has found a surprisingly useful home

To add upon others comments, I prefer using my watch for Pay vs my iPhone. I’m frequently replying to text messages via tapbacks, voice or scribble on the watch. HomeKit control is another area I find myself lifting my wrist to do more often vs picking up my iPhone. Lastly, general Siri queries are about 40% Watch, 40% iPhone/iPad and 20% HomePod in my use case.

The watch isn’t a necessity but, coupled with a data plan especially, it can ‘free’ you from your iPhone and allow you to remain more in the moment without getting sucked down the rabbit hole of checking email, reading news/Discourse, social media, etc. multiple times per day.

With advanced usage stats in iOS 12, it would be interesting to see how someone who didn’t have an Watch used their phone and then added a watch to the mix. The comparisons now are opinions, but would be nice to see results of such a before/after comparison.

2 Likes

Yes to often replying to text messages via tapbacks. No to Apple Pay; I still prefer to do that on my phone.

One other thing I often use the Apple Watch for: Check the current weather, and forecast, using the Carrot complication.

To me, my Apple Watch falls into one of those “not absolutely necessary, but great to have” type of things that you just can’t live without after you use it for a while. You could live without power windows in a car, because it’s not necessary really to drive the car, but you know your day to day driving experience is better for having them for convenience.

My primary use cases are mostly about getting notifications as I tend to leave my iPhone at my desk, and using the timer app, along with some music controls podcasts. Getting AirPods made saving music on my Apple Watch sort of a revelation in that I could just leave my iPhone on the charger at my desk or in my bag and go about my business in the lab and while working out.

1 Like

I hadn’t worn a watch in decades when I bought Apple Watch series 2. I love it. The usual: time keeping, notifications, weather, sunrise/sunset, steps and rings. I like being able to answer the phone Dick Tracy style when the phone is in the other room. Same for quick responses to messages. I use the what’s playing and music controls when I run, easier than hauling out the phone and less embarrassing than talking to Siri. I wish Apple would make the watch work better with HomePod.

1 Like

I have had my Apple watch for 3 years and almost never am without it, despite its clunky look. I also like that it gives me freedom from having my phone around. Love using it for Apple Pay, messaging, even minor email tasks, calendar, health/workouts, timers and checking scores. I find it is becoming more integrated into things I am doing, which will hopefully help me keep the phone down.

1 Like

Thanks to all who’ve responded so far. It looks like you’all convinced me to keep it! But I do have to confess that I did take it off, reset it, and packaged it for return. What upset me the most was the difficulty of actually placing audio onto the watch for listening as I walked. The whole point of my getting this over the Fitbit was being able to leave my phone behind, yet retain the GPS functinality along with the ability to listen to the MacPowerUsers podcast! Just to be able to do that was a feat in itself!

But alas, the convenience of the notifications, great reminders functionality, and the ability to use one of my favorite apps directly on the watch (Voice Record Pro), won me over!

So again, thanks to you all. Your insights were very, very helpful!!

1 Like

I do not think you should look to be convinced and should just try it and see if it works for you. For me, similar to others, I have notifications off or phone on silent, so the watch is great for meetings. I use a podcast app, so I can leave he phone behind and have a listen to the latest MPU episode.

I love the fact with music stored on the watch or through Apple Music subscription, you don’t need a phone in the gym. Connect your headphones and it’s go go go.

Sleep monitoring, turning the house alarm on and off, controlling heating and the wallet on the watch are great for me on the watch. I don’t need my phone or wallet for contactless and having the cellular watch, I can make a call when required too.

I have 7-10 very nice watches (in my opinion)raging from £250-£2500 plus. Since getting the Apple Watch, I don’t feel like I need to buy any more. The simplicity currently works with my life style. It won’t be for everyone, so don’t force it. But just something simple as getting used to being woken up by gentle happtics on your wrist, is great.

With the next software update it is going to become a proper little iPod, with music in the background and other possibilities.

The watch is a companion to your phone and not a standalone device. As such, it’s a little expensive.

I can only echo all of the above in terms of usefulness, but what was really life-changing for me (still working towards having it be the fitness tracking!), were the apps for waking me.

I have large project on-going at the moment, that has required me to wake up during the week 2.5 hours earlier than normal.

I really like my sleep. Really like my sleep, and am not - in general - a morning person.

The apps (I’ve tried a few) I use claim to monitor heart-rate etc., and then wake you in the set-period prior to the hard-stop alarm, when you are purportedly in a lighter sleep.

It is probably all hogwash, alternatively, I’m a sucker and it’s merely the placebo effect - but I don’t care. When I use it, I wake up feeling relatively ok. When I am charging my watch the odd times I didn’t time things, and go to bed without it and so use my phone alarm to wake me up, I feel like I have been hit by a bus upon waking. And it easily takes me an hour before I feel fully awake.

Using the AW, I feel like I can hit the ground running, as soon as the morning coffee is finished. Don’t think I would have managed this without the Watch, so there’s something that really made a difference for me, that no mechanical watch could.

I’ll go the other direction. Use it for a week or two (whatever keeps you in your return window) and if at the end of that you don’t find it useful go get your money back.

No need to be talked into something that takes $350 out of your pocket.

1 Like

Here’s the thing.
No-one needs an apple watch, there just is no necessity.
It is a pure and simple 1st world problem to solve.

Then again,
I cannot imagine my life without one!
My workouts, notifications, workflows…
they all begin and end on my apple watch.

1 Like

I’ve had an Apple Watch since Series 0 then upgraded this year to Series 3. My first one had a few hairline scratches. I’ve banged it up against the wall, pole, fire hydrant and it is still looking good. I even used the Series 0 to swim in the pool and in the beach. In a few weeks, you’d really stop caring about getting it scratched. The first time my Series got a hairline scratched it bothered me but in the next few days didn’t care at all.

For usage, I’ve used it a lot for Siri. Sending messages, dialing, running timers and reminders. I also use it to track my heart-rate since my family has a history of heart problems so I wear it even when I’m asleep. I also love being able to get the notification on it, prevents me from checking my phone even though I don’t even need to check it. I also love tracking my work-out and using the maps with a guided tap is so helpful when you are traveling and you don’t want to constantly look at your phone. I also use Just Record to record my meetings. Being able to get a notification when your gate has change when you’re at the airport on your watch is something I always get delighted at. I don’t even keep my phone at arm’s length anymore at night since the Watch can just wake me up in the morning.

Also not having to bring your phone during a workout is the best. Pair it with an AirPod or any Bluetooth earphone and you are all set.

There are so many things that the Apple Watch has improved in my day-to-day life. How you choose to maximize it’s feature-set is actually up to you.

The apple watch has two main uses, notification and fitness – including heart rate monitoring, and then a bunch of small things it can do for you. For me they are:

•   silent alarm and timers,

•   sleep tracking

•   quick access to my to-do list and calendar,

•   play/stop/volume for podcast/music,

•   Siri for some actions – like add reminders, shopping items and to send messages,

•   weather,

•   shopping list,

•   apple pay,

•   map/directions,

•   relax/Breath app,

•   time in different time zone when travelling internationally,

•   very rarely taking a phone call if phone is not nearby.

I can access most of these with complications and in the siri watch face.
I prefer being able to check or do this type of quick actions without having to search and open the phone.

• See next apointments in my calendar with a glance to my wrist.
  • Add tasks to Things 3 with my voice.
  • See who is calling whithout taking my iPhone out ot my pocket.

I went without wearing a watch for years since I had my iPhone and could quickly look at the time there. I ended up buying an Apple Watch because I wanted the motivation to get myself moving and exercising a bit more. For me, the daily rings do it. The reminder to get up and stand each hour is also helpful.

But since getting the watch, I’ve found it is indeed one of those great-to-have devices. You’ve already identified the notifications and remote control capabilities, so you see how it makes your life a bit easier. For me, I love being able to quickly respond to a text message with a single phrase or emoji. I love being able to leave my phone around the house knowing that I’ll get notified if a call comes in, a message arrives, or one of my alarms/reminders goes off.

Keep your Watch and your Fitbit if you wish, but if I was going to pass one on to someone else, I’d pass on the Fitbit since it lacks the other useful features.