Copied- Experience appreciated pro and con

I’m looking to move to Copied for Mac and iOS but hesitated when I saw the negative reviews. I’d prefer hearing from users here on this app vs. the reviews in the app store- is this app as good as advertised? Are there issues with the recent updates as some reviewers report?

Thank you now for your time responding.

1 Like

I used Copied for quite some time and think it’s a great app with plenty of power user functionality.

Having said that, I switched to Paste (Mac and iOS) a few months ago and have never looked back. Paste isn’t as feature rich as Copied, but I like that it’s simpler and more visual and I rarely used Copied’s more advanced functionality. Also, unliked Copied, Paste is updated regularly.

I’ll continue to keep an eye on Copied and hope it will spring back to life at some point. In the meantime, Paste is fitting the bill very nicely.

3 Likes

I’ve used it for several years, too, with no major problems. I had one sync issue around two years ago maybe, where I lost some old clippings in custom lists but since then I’ve had no issues.

I’ve also been taking advantage of the automation features more recently - which are all in Javascript so easily portable. One example is here: https://talk.automators.fm/t/copied-app-has-interesting-automation-features/1487

2 Likes

Thanks much, very helpful.

1 Like

I’ll echo @timstringer and used Copied for some time and switched to Paste. I like Paste now, plus its available on Setapp. I just had to purchase the iOS version for iPad. Totally worth it! I can’t function without a Pasteboard app and this seems to be the one.

You’re very welcome, @PeterG5326. Good to hear this was helpful!

I used Copied and like it a lot especially the ease of using the built in keyboard in iOS to paste.

Copied Mac - I’m not sure I use it as much. For Mac I prefer Alfred for managing my clipboard snippets.

I don’t have much use for transferring info between Mac and iOS.

So, even though Copied is no longer under active development, does the current version available on the MacOS App store still work well with Mojave? Does it still sync with the iOS version via iCloud? I have the iOS version with the pro features paid for and like it’s features a lot and was wondering if the MacOS version at least still worked under Mojave even though its hasn’t been upgraded for two years. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Working fine for me on two Mojave machines.

Where do you see that announcement? There haven’t been updates for quite a while – but it’s not as if the app needed updates. It works fine on macOS 10.14.x and iOS 12.

I stand corrected … since there haven’t been updates for around 2 years, I assumed the Mac app was no longer actively being developed. Also, in a couple of the negative reviews in the MacOS App Store, they mentioned that the developer hadn’t responded to any of their emails asking for help or asking questions.

But, you answered my question if it’s working well under Mojave. So, thanks!

3 Likes

I love Paste as well but what’s been bugging me is that on iphone and ipad it doesn’t seem to add copied items to the clipboard (and clipboard history) unless you open the app at some point? This is a nuisance when I want to access stuff I’ve copied using the macos app (that works great most of the time!)

1 Like

I love Paste as well but what’s been bugging me is that on iphone and ipad it doesn’t seem to add copied items to the clipboard (and clipboard history) unless you open the app at some point? This is a nuisance when I want to access stuff I’ve copied using the macos app (that works great most of the time!)

I don’t think iOS/iPadOS allows apps to access the clipboard while they’re running in the background, which is why it’s necessary to bring Paste to the foreground in order to add to and access its clipboard buffer.

On a side note, I find it’s most convenient to run Paste in Slide Over on an iPad.

2 Likes

That is correct, as far as I know. You can also use the share extension.

I am finding that Paste does not paste shared URLs, which is a dealbreaker for me. I emailed the developers. Their website promises a reply within a week.

I do like Paste on the Mac.

3 Likes

That’s a nice tip I’ll try it out.

I believe the issue with iOS is that apps can run for a brief time in the background so if you copy something after having recently opened Paste then it gets added. What you say is that they can’t access the clipboard at all. Either way its a limitation that I hope gets fixed.

That said, on iPadOS it does seem to copy in the background since I hear my Mac’s audible confirmation when I’m using them nearby.

I love it on Mac too. In fact, one of the cool things is the sound confirmation that it makes when copying that would have have been great to have on iOS and super useful. When I don’t hear it I know I’ve probably not launched the app, etc.

1 Like

Interesting that Paste for iPad is adding copied items to the Clipboard History in the background if it was recently activated. If you want to make sure that something is added, it’s a good idea to activate Paste after copying. Using Paste in Slide Over makes this more convenient (albeit not ideal).

I suspect that this isn’t technically broken. The developer may be doing everything that’s possible within the constraints of iOS/iPadOS.

2 Likes

I’ve been using a beta of Copied on the Mac - version 4.01. It runs very well.

And now I see it’s been updated in the App Store. Time for me to go get it.

2 Likes

Thanks. What I meant was I hope iOS somehow comes up with a solution for developers to integrate this functionality but I am not holding my breath! Sad that it makes such a brilliant application so less useful and spotty.

Re. the slide over I did not think of that. Will check it out on ipad.

1 Like

Is Copied any different than Paste?

Different user interface. I haven’t used Paste much, or recently, so I can’t say.