Core values in action

That sounds great! That sounds like the kind of thing I would do if I didn’t have a mortgage or college age kids. Good luck!

1 Like

I was able to find a gig as a guide on the Rogue River for the rest of the summer (despite starting my job search in June, rather than back around January when most guide positions get filled). Today was my first day, I rode along on the day trip section that this company does a couple of times to start getting to know the river.

13 Likes

Congratulations on your journey. I admire your courage and willingness to “jump”. I don’t know much, but I do know that life is about growth, and one way to grow is by experiencing new adventures. I’ll certainly be following along. Congratulations again!

1 Like

I’m so glad it’s working out for your Chris :grinning:

1 Like

Really pleased for you, I admire what you did

1 Like

Thanks @Nick @95omega and @geoffaire.

I’ve been guiding on the Rogue River, but a couple of weeks ago the owner and some of the guides took the day of and did a fun trip down the Upper Klamath River. One of the guides put together some GoPro video:

I’m the front left paddler in the orange PFD.

9 Likes

That looks incredible.

What happens in the winter? Do you just continue in a wet suit or does everything shut down?

Nick

1 Like

Over the summer I’ve been guiding day trips, but recently I got a chance to row on a multi-day trip down the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue River.

https://www.grandadventure.blog/rafting-the-lower-rogue-river-september-10-14-2022

Generally, everything shuts down. Most rafting guides have some sort of off-season job. The stereotypical one is working ski patrol during the winter, but I’ve met guides doing everything from bookkeeping to homebuilding. Some guides go work in the southern hemisphere, running rivers someplace like New Zealand or Chile.

4 Likes