Could we see Mail+ and more?

Would you pay Apple for Mail+ or whatever it’ll be called? Custom domains seem appealing…

If Mail+ is email with custom domains… take my money, Apple!

1 Like

No.

This is another rehashing of a MacRumors thread isn’t it?

5 Likes

No. I pay them for the hardware and expect the basic software to be free.

No, I pay Fastmail and I’m a happy customer.

Excellent product/service!

7 Likes

Too little, too late. I moved to Fastmail last summer.

No, I heard the news elsewhere. Not sure what your problem is.

Apple provides a very basic email service now and, AFAIK, still uses a totally different system for their corporate mail. Half the email users of the world have selected Gmail, and you can get G Suite or MS365 starting at what? $6/month. I don’t see any market for Mail+

I think it is much more likely that Apple may add a few features from time to time like better server side rules.

Usually Apple tries to find an innovation angle when they try to enter a market, and I’m wondering what that could reasonably be for Mail. Do you think there’d be some way they could use ML for anti-spam functionality or something along those lines?

Is Apple developing server side ML? It wouldn’t make sense to do it on device.

They could buy or copy sanebox.

In looking at potential catalysts, I can see Hey.com validating the market for premium personal email that protects privacy and attention. Apple could offer a similar service within Mail.app, a trusted popular client, and make some promises about data privacy that users unfamiliar with Basecamp would trust more. Pricing could be challenging as the storage would presumably be provided through iCloud storage plans, and almost all premium email (including Google’s) uses storage in excess of Gmail’s free 15GB to make their offers more compelling.

Indeed.

To me it seems that hey.com’s brilliant, yet simple, breakthrough is that email defaults to NOT going into the inbox.

For years, I set up filter in Gmail to filter newsletter and such out of the inbox and it’s been the proverbial whack-a-mole. Whitelisting instead of blacklisting seems to be the answer.

3 Likes

I’ve done the same. I don’t recall ever having spam in my Inbox thanks to Gmail, and the four filters I set up takes care of everything else.

What are your four filters, if you don’t mind my asking? I’m trying to take another run at keeping my Gmail inbox clean.

Correction, looks like I’m down to three.

1. If (matches) Delete it
  2. If (matches) Skip Inbox, Apply label “Review”
  3. If (matches) Star it

All matches are either individual accounts or entire domains:

When I need to add to a rule I insert the address, followed by a comma, after the ({
Some rules contain dozens of addresses.

I occasionally remove the Review label for those messages I keep. I have no need for further processing because I rely only on search.

1 Like

Custom domains are appealing and I’ve had at least one for about 20 years now. I wouldn’t want one that was tied to any single vendor.

1 Like

Very simple. I had found that those rules containing long strings of addresses became unwieldy to manage, but if it works for you, great!

I’m fooling around with Priority Inbox. At first it wasn’t working for me – too cluttered! – but today I noticed that if you archive the messages they no longer show up on the home page. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before but I’m glad to have it now.

1 Like

I’m retired now. When I was working as a network admin one of my duties was managing email.

If you were high enough in the organization I’d deliver your mail to specific folders :wink:

3 Likes

Great idea! ————————

1 Like