Creating a Better Home WiFi Network

My Motorola MB8600 was $150 last year. That’s an 11 month payback. Approved by most cable companies. I had to get a new one when I moved to get the Cox Gigablast service.

So I finally figured out how to set the Cloudflare DNS on my new Netgear Nighthawk. However, I want to confirm it’s using the Cloudflare DNS.

For example, on my iPhone, I am logged into my wifi network. I clicked on the info button next to that network. If I scroll down to Configure DNS, it says it’s Automatic. When I click Automatic, it shows me the attached screen and gives me the DNS Server of 192.168.1.1. Shouldn’t that say 1.1.1.1. since I changed it? Or it is some default server it shows regardless whether it’s using 1.1.1.1?

My hunch is 198.168.1.1 is your “gateway” to the internet (router) and this is incorrectly configured. Change DNS to your cloudflare address and change the default gateway to this (or whatever it is if not correct).

Your router is acting as a DNS server. It (probably) is serving local IP addresses and possibly caching external addresses it gets from forwarding requests to Cloudflare. At least that’s how my setup works. If you configure DNS on your devices manually to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 then you don’t get local DNS. My system:

And in the router (which is 192.168.1.1):

1 Like

You can set CloudFlare as your DNS on all your devices but you don’t want to. As @tomalmy has pointed out, you want your devices to use your router as their DNS server, and your router uses CloudFlare as its DNS server.

So the LAN part of your DNS configuration looks correct as is, and if, as you say, you “set the Cloudflare DNS on my new Netgear Nighthawk,” you should be good to go.

1 Like

Thanks, so much. I double checked my router settings and it indeed has it confirmed for Cloudflare.