David, Don't Look at This Thread!

Looking back on the year, what was activities or items were an unexpected time suck, and which ones afforded you way more efficiency than you had planned for?

1 Like

Has your stress level increased, decreased or stayed the same since leaving the practice?

1 Like

Do you still have all of those calendars? Or has that decreased?

2 Likes

Couldn’t you have made this change without giving up your law license?

Have you given up any previous necessary tools?

Have you changed your working hours since you aren’t dependent on client’s schedules?

1 Like

Do you miss it?
Did you feel a piece of your identity was removed?
Can we do a Daisy and daughters segment about the differences lol.

5 Likes

Looking forward to this episode. Here’s my question:

MacSparky and MPU have been around for years. What decisions did you make over the long term to help build the engaged audience that helped you transition to your new post-lawyer life? Do you have any advice for people creating content and trying to find their audience?

Any updates on your feelings about the state of Star Wars? Thoughts on Andor? Hopes for the Ahsoka show?

I still dream of David doing a Star Wars podcast <3 Honestly, I would subscribe to Sparky Labs if it came with a weekly Star Wars podcast…

1 Like

What aspects of this new life were expected but didn’t materialize (was the grass greener etc)?
How do you see this new MacSparky developing over time? Are you going to focus on a specific area?

1 Like

You do several podcasts with different folks. Is your prep, and the more general preparation for each episode, the same? Or are there differences based on the podcast and the cohost?

Have you had to retrain yourself in setting your work / life balance? In law, much is driven by the client and the calendar. Now that you are your own client, how do you “shut off the lights and go home”?

Katie

Are you concerned that losing your window on the “real” world and joining the crowded “full-time” Apple podcaster/news commentator/writer could narrow your perspective on the Mac as a work tool?

8 Likes

This is a great question.

How is Katie doing? And do you keep in contact? I hope she’s well.

3 Likes

Is there any automation/setup that you had for the law practice that you “miss” because you really liked/were proud of that automation/setup?

2 Likes

What does success look like for you in 6months or 1 year.

Or what would you tell your younger self that you know now that he should know?

Can you find the same the demanding intellectual rigor of legal analysis in a podcast?

1 Like

What do you think Apple will look like ten years from now?

What do you think MacSparky will look like ten years from now?

What do you think home automation will look like ten years from now?

I’m always interested in people’s predictions for the future!

What will Apple look like in ten years? In 1997 I would have said Apple would not be around in 10 years. But Microsoft bailed them out and Apple changed the world in 2007. I’d like to think they will still be one of the major players.

What do I think MacSparky will look like ten years from now? I think MacSparky will sound much like he did when I first found MacPowerUsers years ago. And how he sounds today :grinning:

What do I think home automation will look like ten years from now? I’m not bullish on home automation right now. Everyone needs to get on the same page.

Have your overall working hours increased or decreased in the last year?
If decreased, yay, what are you doing with the extra time.
If increased, did you expect this? We’re you hoping for this outcome or not?