Day One for Mac

Are any of you using Day One on the Mac? I’d like to hear your thoughts-good or bad.

I tried installing it on Sierra, but 10.13 is the oldest OS supported. I saw no benefit to installing Mojave, so I’ve stayed with Sierra, (no regrets).

If Catalina isn’t buggy ( I’m not holding my breath though), I may upgrade after it’s been out a while and will be able to run Day One later this year. Until then, I’ll just have to use it on my iPad.

I write longform journal entries on Day One on my Mac, mainly for the keyboard and screen space. Works fine. Most of my in-the-minute journaling (food journal, notes) is done on my phone.

It’s text. :man_shrugging: I occasionally but rarely attach a pic to my longform notes but were it not for the social, storage and cross-platform features of the app I could easily be writing in BBEdit or Ulysses, where I could choose any font I’d like. That’s my main bugbear about Day One (and many other apps): the limited font choice.

1 Like

OK, I could Google this question but I’m lazy: What are the social features of Day One?

Two things keep me in Day One: One is that I’ve been using it for years. The other is that a main use for me is as a kind of FourSquare-for-one – I use it to check in to locations. I haven’t found an alternative to Day One for that. Suppose I could use Swarm but why give that information to someone else?

Yes, you are lazy. :smile:

I import all my tweets and Instagram posts, and if I were on Facebook it could suck up my activity there too.

Oh, right. My tweets and Facebook posts are ephemeral - nothing I want to import to Day One. And I don’t do the gram.

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s a lot more than that, actually. So don’t be lazy, especially since you use the app…

2 Likes

Do you literally import your tweets, or paste them into Day One?

Why not use ForSquare for checking in?

1 Like

I’m concerned about privacy.

What’s more risky, using an app, or telling everyone in the world that you’ve just sat down at a restaurant ( and other places you frequent)?

You’re concerned about privacy, but you “check in” and tell everyone in the world where you are, with FourSquare.

@Wolfie is correct. I do not use FourSquare because I am concerned about privacy.

Day One is one of my most used apps. I use it to keep a log of what I am planning to do and what I do do. I am more productive when I am actively managing my time.

I have different “journals” for different things (about five). One is a basic time log. One is more reflective thoughts. One is for planning and goals.

I find it basically works the way I expect.

• I like using Markdown.
  • It is easy to share things to it.
  • Sync works good, and the interface is consistent on the Mac, iPhone, and iPad.
    It is easy to make changes and updates.

I find it easy to attach photos and like the way that I can scan through the entries and see a thumbnail image.

3 Likes

Isn’t the purpose of “checking in” is to tell people that you’re in a certain establishment (restaurant, bar, store, etc)?

Maybe he just wants a record for himself :man_shrugging: :smiley: