Decision Made. I Gotta “Un-Apple” As Much As I Can ☹️

It’s only a (big) problem for those who are hanging on to 32bit software.
Problem is the greed many software developers have with charging a lot for upgrades or forcing the users to lease their software.

1 Like

I have been blown away how fast it runs. Its feels like the old days with Apple vs Windows. Often I find myself waiting seconds for something to open or a page to load. Despite very capable hardware, network and clean configuration. Where Ubuntu on a very old Mac is very snappy. And is zipping really fast on my iMac despite having only a small amount of the resources assigned in a VM.

1 Like

Good points SpivR! Thanks!!

I had to read this carefully because I initially thought you were getting rid of Apple hardware. I am running into problems with Apple Mail and Apple calendars but do not like any alternative I have found. No issues with Contacts but I also do not use iCloud at all. I use Dropbox or Google Drive for shared stuff.

I’ve never used Apple Reminders or Notes or Pages or any of their standard installed stuff except mail, calendar and contacts so I guess I don’t have any issues. I think they are meant to be barely functional entries in their respective app spaces not something you can actually use to run a serious business.

I do like Safari much better than alternatives but it’s more a user interface thing. It works well with 1Password and DEVONThink whereas Chrome and Firefox frequently don’t

2 Likes

I am seriously considering going to Linux as well. There isn’t really a ready made system with Linux Mint that’s why I’m hesitating.

Running Linux in a VM on a Mac is a pretty good way to get the best of both worlds while avoiding the worst of them as well. You still get macOS for the things it’s good for and you avoid the issues that come with running Linux on bare metal.

5 Likes

This company makes some dedicated Linux systems and even an smartphone.

2 Likes

Wow. With all those problems, you must be the un-luckiest person on planet earth…

But the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence, dude. I am in both ecosystems (Windows & Apple) every working day and never, ever regret using my Apple ecosystem.

Good luck with that…

9 Likes

Just for comparison, thought I’d type out a point by point comparison w/ the OP - caveat, I’m retired and none of my usage is mission-critical. I’m perfectly willing to ditch something if it lets me down. I also note that the OP gave very little detail about why he didn’t trust things, or what exactly the bugs were he was experiencing. Having said that:

Reminders - absolutely trust it, no reason not to. Just don’t need it.

Calendar - absolutely trust it, no reason not to. Shared with spouse via family settings.

Browser - can’t say I’ve noticed any bugs. Dropped Chrome to take advantage of syncing tabs, etc.

iCloud - I’m rethinking this with relation to photos, mainly due to problems with overall workflow. Haven’t ruled it out yet, just rethinking.

Mail - some quirks on Catalina, but nothing critical.

Contacts - No complaints, no issues noticed.

Never lost any photos that I’m aware of.

Keychain? Iffy? It’s been rock-solid for me. Now that I’m back to an all-Mac setup I may drop BitWarden. Keychain password recall/use is SO much easier.

Drafts - I really like it. Haven’t explored its full potential yet…

Shortcuts - after an initial exploration, I have not delved into this more, but I absolutely will. They are freakin’ awesome!

RE: leaving Windows - if you think Apple’s OS and update system has problems on par with Windows (and/or Linux) then I think you may have forgotten what that is like. I’ve used both within the last couple of years, and not only is there ZERO phone/tablet/watch/laptop/desktop syncing and integration, the updates are truly roll-the-dice, and the decision to hold off on an update is often not (easily) in your hands.

In summary, most people use whatever software works best. Sometimes it’s Apple’s, sometimes it’s not. If you find yourself using almost none of the apps from Apple, why does this have to mean that Apple has somehow let you down?

8 Likes

jsob7797 and donblanco. It is ok to have a different opinion than someone else. It is not ok to be disrespectful of another person. There is a difference between the two.

I pointed out the facts, Apple has a problem, and that problem is effecting me, as it is effecting 1000’s of others too. I also pointed out that I was looking at alternatives. Hopefully my post has helped others succeed in finding solutions too.

agree 100%! Not sure why you brought it up, though…

1 Like

@Ricky have you looked at Agenda?
It just keeps getting better for me. It might help some of the notes/calendars/reminders pain you are experiencing with Apple’s offerings.

1 Like

No Sir Mr. JohnAtl, I have not, but I WILL look at it tonight! Thanks for recommending it!

1 Like

I liked the last update, but organising a lot of projects is still messy. If they work on that and add encryption, I would probably go back to using it.

1 Like

Yeah. When I left the UK and was running a Windows machine, I would come back to my flat after a week away and spend an hour updating. The Dell machine had developed a broken pixel the first week I had it. Tough luck was their response. Still managed to load a virus and was, actually doing very little work on the machine. Constantly wiping it back to factory settings if I remember right. First thing I did in USA was buy Apple. Never regreted it and I am by no means uncritical of Apple as folk here know. There is no comparison though between the two, same goes for Android v iPhone.

3 Likes

I got an email yesterday about the latest version of Agenda being their biggest update to date, introducing the sidebar and manual project rearranging (finally!), subcategories, and the ability to archive or bin projects. (And the next update will bring the long-awaited sharing extension to Agenda for iOS and iPadOS.) When I was originally evaluating it I decided I preferred NotePlan for Mac/iOS given my preferred workflow, but Agenda looks like it’s iterating quickly.

4 Likes

I get frustrated at times with my Apple stuff, too, but I remind myself how I typically spend more time in a week troubleshooting my paralegal’s Windows PC and my Windows install in Parallels, then I do all my Apple stuff combined. But that doesn’t mean my experience is the same as Ricky’s, so I understand where he’s coming from (and it sounds like he was talking more about finding software alternatives, than moving off Apple devices, if I read the original post correctly).

4 Likes

I purchased Agenda a while back, and then didn’t use it much — I just couldn’t quite wrap my head around it. But in the last week or so something just clicked for me, and I think it’s really going to work well.

That sharing extension is something I’m really looking forward to. I’ve got three more months on premium, so I hope it comes before then. Really, the only other features that I’d really want are handwriting recognition and conversion to text.

For now, I’m using Nebo to hand write, then I can copy and paste the converted text into Agenda. Just the sharing extension will cut out a step.

Edited to add: several threads in the Agenda community forums suggest that, until the native extension is available, it’s possible to get the behavior I want with Shortcuts. So perhaps it’s finally time for me to learn…

3 Likes

Yep Evan, ya read my original post correctly. In “my” opinion, Apple devices are top notch, and I intend to stay there. What I was trying to say, (and could have done better), is that currently, Apple apps, more precisely iCloud and iCloud Drive, are very buggy, and that is costing me time and money in my business, so, like any wise person would/should do when income is on the line, I have started looking at all alternatives, and I agree with ‘cha 1000%, Windows is STILL not attractive. I had tried very hard to make the standard Apple apps work for me, because they integrate so well with each other, (Siri, cal, email, etc), but for now, it is not working, and I must find apps that DO work, so “I” can continue to work too.

It’s comforting to hear that others are experiencing the same concerns, and are testing other apps as well.

I am sure that someday Apple will get it right. Until then, we all have gotta do what we gotta do, which is pay ‘da bills. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::tada::star_struck:

2 Likes

I experienced the Agenda click too. It was kind of squirmy in my head for a while, left it alone. I came back to it and had kind of a eureka moment.

3 Likes