Desk setup dilemma - what would you do?

If you’re talking to IT support, “acceptable” is a nice code word for “it’s not broken enough for it to be worth us trying to fix it.” :slight_smile:

If you can’t do RDP because they’re security nuts the odds seem low that they’d let you run a Parallels VM. I’d highly suggest trying a KVM.

I remember those times in 2000 We deployed Citrix to about 60 sites to allow the various managers to access the financial system.

The Manchester (uk) office had a 128k leased line to head office and two satellite offices had 64k lines into Manchester. This was back when you had to pay for a leased line by the mile.

When someone in the Manchester Office would open a large spreadsheet from the HO file server it would take more than 10 minutes to load and all three offices would slow to a crawl.

Using Citrix allowed us to eke a bit more life out of the WAN before our MPLS network was installed.

Oh the Parallels route is something I would love but know will never happen. I work for a bank and they definitely (and reasonably) won’t want VMs deployed on hardware they don’t control entirely. Similar to why you can’t RDP directly into the machine from any other machine. It opens up too many security holes.

Are there KVM switches that would work with the Studio display? My understanding is most of them are still limited to HDMI or other connectors. I’d likely lose the webcam as well if I went that route.

Now that’s my kind of desk. I appreciate the pens being on the LHS too, plus the post it notes on the bottom of the monitor.

1 Like

Michael, that is a great desk setup, with some top end gadgets, would love a breakdown! Was deceived at first glance but would be interested in what you’ve got there. The streamdecks, the minis, the stands, the keyboard - an interesting setup!

That’s unfortunate. In my case, it’s really no different to being there for most tasks. Playing video looks a wee bit choppy, but even that is doable if needed. General work with text editors, terminals, browsers, and the like is completely normal. I even sometimes run it via a personal VPN by accident and there’s barely a slow-down.

My company does have a fairly large Citrix footprint, mind you, including providing access to some companies we work with so they can be “in” our LAN, so perhaps the connectivity is very well provisioned compared to your company.

An option would be to hook one monitor to your windows computer and the other to your Mac.

Then use Synergy to allow you to use your windows computer as a “second screen” which is controlled by your Mac keyboard and mouse. I did this for years with a Mac laptop and Linux workstation and it worked great.

1 Like

Vote: “Other”

Keep the two 27" and use Parallells.
You will get used to the large monitors, and eventually be happy for the larger screen area.

I remember 15+ years ago when I bought a 24" monitor and cursed at it for being too large! Today I use a Wide Screen 35" and will never go back to anything smaller (in fact, I’m currently looking to buy the 40" LG).

With Parallells you will always have the PC ready for you, whenever you need it.

/$0.02

FWIW, I have been using an app called Barrier to do a “virtual KVM” between my Mac mini (running Open Core/Ventura) and my MacBook Air (Sonoma)… works pretty well, but I may not be as work-conscious as you (I don’t think it would be as efficient in a work environment)

Just how many streamdecks do you have on the go there?

1 Like