DevonThink but Not DevonSync - I give up

The medium database I mentioned is indexing 127GB of data. My biggest DT database is 13GB I do a rebuild every month and had just completed that.

OTOH my mac is a 2013 iMac with 16GB of RAM

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I have found DT’s syncing to be quite reliable when using a WebDAV server. I have not tried syncing via Dropbox or iCloud, so I cannot comment on how reliable that is.

I use a Synology as the WebDAV server, and it is accessible (via WebDAVs so connections are encrypted) from both within my home LAN and from the internet as needed.

If you do not wish to invest in a device like a Synology, you could consider a cheaper solution of a Raspberry Pi plus a USB drive. I used that for some time before I decided to get my current Synology, and it worked quite well at a pretty low cost. You do need a bit of technical expertise to set up the Raspberry, but it really isn’t hard (I’d be happy to provide a walk through if you cannot find a good enough tutorial via TheGoogle).

As far as DTTG goes, the client is poor IMHO, and I primarily use it when I need to retrieve a document for review while on the go. I do not find it great for document creation. I have hard that DevonTechnologies intends to work on DTTG “this year” and I am hoping whatever they come up with will provide to be an advancement over the current DTTG operation.

1 Like

100% agree. Love Mac DEVONthink but DTTG is terrible.

2 Likes

Adding another data point.

7 databases; 16 gig comprised of 3,600 files. Files are a mix of 100+meg movies down to small text files and tons of PDFs.

I started on WebDAV using digital ocean $5/month server. Flawless and fast.

Switched to iCloud syncing since I already pay for 2TB plan shared with my family. Almost always flawless and fast to sync changes between DTTG on iPad and iPhone and MacOS.

For a while I used direct syncing via bonjour in addition to iCloud but haven’t had the need for that in a while. Pre pandemic I would go without internet for a week a time when traveling.

I know we can’t say too much but second the idea of checking out the beta of DTTG if you have sync issues.

Boujour? Only syncs when on wifi? Simply not acceptable in 2020.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas. Will check out the beta. As it stands now, my iCloud sync to iOS just is not working.

So frustrating isn’t it? I really want to use the tool but it just does not function on iOS.

2 Likes

Probably need to take that up with Apple. My understanding is than Boujour is intended to be a local network tool, not for across bigger networks where routing required.

Or get a networking expert involved who might know how to make Bonjour work beyond local. I’ve never taken the time to look into it as when my device not on local, Dropbox works well.

Assertions that DEVONthink syncing does not work are just not true. It’s probably true to say that for a number of people that iCloud on IOS is not robust enough to sync the files DEVONthink places into the iCloud folders (and probably other apps that have complex syncing needs beyond individual files). Probably depends on file size and rate of change of those files simultaneous to sync), but again that probably best solved by working with Apple to fix their product.

But I’ll stop saying that. Meantime for me, it all works and has worked for years (as I described above).

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll definitely keep this in mind.

Seeing how awful DTTG and Circus Ponies Notebook apps are, no iOS app isn’t a deal breaker.

It would be nice if there were a demo before shelling out for another app I may or may not use.

If not having an iOS app isn’t a deal breaker, why not just stick with DEVONthink and not use the mobile app?

1 Like

I’m using DTTG as a, very expensive, document viewer but there are things I still don’t like about editing in DevonThink on Mac so I occasionally have to pass a file over to BBEditt and then go back. It’s frustrating that DTTG can’t edit RTF, which is what I use for all new notes.

I really loved the outlining features of Circus Ponies Notebook where I could collapse/expand pretty much anything. I also tried using Omni Outliner Pro as a notebook, but that didn’t work well for me.

That came up recently on DEVONthink’s forum … due to limitations with IOS 13. Hey I'm not dumb! Inputting text is hard! - DEVONthink To Go - DEVONtechnologies Community

Yep, me too. WedDAV is the best way to go.

My advice is: hang on for a while.

DTTG beta is looking really good and sync is working perfectly.

Would you mind providing the walk through on the Pi WebDAV, please?

Thanks for all the contributions in this thread. They saved me a bunch of time and hassle. After reading this, I gave up on iCloud sync, especially after DEVONthink support suggested the best way to “fix” it was to drop the sync connection and reboot everything. I switched to Bonjour, sync started immediately and finished in a couple hours for my 16GB database. So far so good and meets my use case since I really just want DTG for capture and the occasional lookup when I’m not at my desk. I work from home (already was pre-Covid), so I’m not away that much.

3 Likes

FYI:

The relevant bit for this thread:

We have also made the synchronization more efficient, use less cloud or disk space, and resume interrupted syncs more reliably.

5 Likes