DEVONthink (DEVONtechnologies) new website

DEVONtechnologies, producer of DEVONthink, launched its new website today.

New site. New logo. New … what’s next?

1 Like

New UI :slight_smile: And hopefully new version of OCR engine. And probably new version to buy …

3 Likes

Would gladly pay for an update UI, and new OCR engine…

2 Likes

That was about time. The old one wasn’t even web 1.0, but 0.9

2 Likes

Agreed. I tried Evernote last year for a couple of months but ended up abandoning it, in part because the UI was just too ugly. Would love to give it another spin.

Looks better but some things like the info about the different versions of the software have highlighted blue text but I can’t click on it yet to give me more info.

I do hope they still show the various use cases for the software as the old website did.

Now I’m craving a very needed UI update for DevonThink which looks lost in 2005.

The website HAS to be a hint that DT3 is coming. I haven’t actually used DT2, since I moved from DT1 to Yojimbo back in the day, and then moved all my stuff over into folders on Dropbox when Yojimbo went the way of the Apple Weather Widget (lack of updates over time gradually killing it)
Anyway, I’ve looked at DT2, but my experience with DT1 wasn’t that rosy, and the UI on DT2 makes me shiver, so the only way I’m going back to DT is with a proper update.

Yes - the front page hero image with the bird. The iOS app looks the same, but that’s not how my Mac DEVONThink looks.

And see this thread on their discourse…

2 Likes

the “Not yet, but soon!” on the discourse thread mentioned is a nice giveaway.

Oh crap, now I have to scroll through screen after screen of useless eye candy to get to the meat of the deal. I hate that they’ve jumped on the bandwagon of huge front page pictures. I don’t LIKE to scroll. The bird could be a sidebar with the useful stuff right there. Why or why do “redesigns” ALWAYS make it HARDER to find the information you need to determine if the item is useful to you or not?

Even newspapers know that you put the important stuff above the fold. I want everything accessible on a single screen in a normal browser window on a mid range computer. Is that really so hard to do while still including nice pictures and readable text?

1 Like

Like the UI? anyone?

Of the app or of the web site?

Of the app I find it compact, efficient and easy to use. YMMV

The web site is bloated, eye candy and doesn’t provide me with useful information easily.

My main wish on the UI of the app is in 3 pane mode (which I use almost exclusively) I wish I had control of what columns are in the upper right section.

Right at the very tippy-top of the front page are menus that take you right to the meaty stuff. One click opens the menu, and you pick where you want to go. No scrolling needed.

too late? macstories now promoting evernote :wink:

Switching between apps is part of the MacStories business model isn’t it? As someone who is frequently tempted I appreciate their leading the way there.

1 Like

Wait three months and Federico will have traipsed over to something else. I remember back when OmniFocus was his final, grail task app, then he switched to Todoist because his business “needed” sharing lists. Then that need mysteriously dissipated and he went to Things, then GoodTask then… I lose track, and I might have forgotten some apps along the way.

Viticci does good reviews and makes insightful comments about apps, but I wouldn’t make his recommendation the determinant for choosing anything, since he’s obviously not looking to wed himself to an app to get into deeply, but to dabble. Plus, he doesn’t pay attention to Mac apps and doesn’t delve much into the cross-platform abilities of apps he uses.

4 Likes

I don’t view Evernote and DEVONthink as binary options (one or the other). They have “overlaps” and uniquenesses, and generally are designed for different missions, IMO. So like a lot of things, these can co-exist if the user chooses.

Could you expound, what are the different missions?

Evernote is a note taking app, with several related features

DEVONthink is data management software

DEVONthink is DEVONtechnologies’ document and information management solution. It supports a large variety of file formats and stores them in a database enhanced by artificial intelligence (AI). Many document formats can be directly viewed, edited, and annotated. A powerful search language finds documents in an instant, smart groups keep them always at hand.

Sophisticated organization tools, AI-based techniques that handle even the largest collections, and numerous integration options make DEVONthink the work environment of choice for researchers, lawyers, and educators. Smart rules, flexible reminders, and deep AppleScript support allow automating even complex repeating tasks. And with its fast, reliable, and secure synchronization users keep their data available on all their Macs. DEVONthink To Go for iPad and iPhone completes the DEVONthink ecosystem.

1 Like