Devonthink - Dropbox or iCloud sync?

@Mkcmobile alas it seems that Box.com will stop working for DT from 30 Jan 2019.

Deprecation: WebDAV Support
It seems Box has decided WebDAV support isn’t worth it, which is unfortunate because I used it for a couple of different services (not DTPO though). I guess it’s time to spin up WebDAV on my Synology.

Just an FYI in case you may be looking into it as an alternative, I’ve found CloudMe to be incredibly unreliable on uptime during the weekends. When I first tried it, it worked fine for a couple of weeks, then multiple weekends in a row found it unreachable and contacting support stated they were having technical difficulties.

Questions for DEVONthink pro users. I have been struggling to fully understand how DEVONthink stores my data on my computer and in iCloud.

I am using iCloud to sync this database to my DTTG app on my iPhone. Using the Daisy Disk utility, I can see 3 spots that DEVONthink appears to be taking up space on my hard drive.

1. My DEVONthink database file shows up in a folder on my hard drive totaling at 21 GB (I can see this folder in Finder as well).
  2. I see an Applications Support section that contains a DEVONthink file of 13 GB.
  3. I see a Mobile Documents section that contains a DEVONthink file of 20 GB.
  4. On my iPhone, in iCloud Storage I see DEVONthink To Go takes up 18 GB.

I am especially confused on the Application Support and Mobile Documents data. Does DEVONthink store an extra copy of my database on my computer in these spots in order to use iCloud to sync? Some of what I read above makes me think like this was supposed to be temporary until iCloud moved all that data into the cloud. I have never seen these sections on my computer get smaller. Or, am I mistaken in how these folders work and they actually do not take up space on computer.

Finally, if I were to use Dropbox instead of iCloud for syncing, would Dropbox not need to take up this space on my computer in the Application Support and Mobile Documents sections?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

I switched to iCloud sync when it came up but quickly switched back to Dropbox. I had issues with things not syncing reliably.

:frowning: … figures…

Thanks for the warning.

@Philalethes you’ll get a faster, more accurate answer and advice if you open a support ticket at DEVONtechnologies (support@devontechnologies.com)

2 Likes

I switched to iCloud syncing. Rock solid. Never looked back

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @anon41602260. I have asked DEVONthink support about this and haven’t ever really recieved a clear answer. Plus, similar questions on the DEVONthink forums turn up confusing responses.

I guess I was looking for first-hand experience from other users who are using iCloud if they are seeing similar things. I would then like to know if a Dropbox sync stores information differently.

Dropbox does handle sync differently.

I have not noticed this issue myself using iCloud sync, but it seems like a fair number do.

I was using box.com to sync DEVON think for about 3 years. In looking for an alternative, I considered iCloud, but I share 2 databases with my wife, and iCloud can’t accommodate that use case. After some reading, I moved to Bonjour, and with one caveat it is just fabulous. I keep a master copy of my databases on my almost always on iMac. The databases are in a shared iMac folder. My wife and I sync our separate mobile devices (phones, iPad and laptop) using Bonjour. It is so much faster and more reliable than the cloud option. The occasional sync errors we used to get have disappeared. The only minor downside is that everything only syncs on my home Wi-Fi network. In practice that is no problem, as I very infrequently need files across multiple devices before I go home each night. I am so in the cloud ecosystem, that I didn’t even imagine that I could operate outside the cloud. If you have your stuff in box.com, I’d thoroughly recommend giving Bonjour a try.

2 Likes