DEVONthink Field Guide!

@MacSparky I just read the newsletter and I can’t wait for the DEVONthink Field Guide. I’ll for sure be buying it day one.

12 Likes

Doing my new field guide dance already! Finally will be able to do something with DevonThink!

2 Likes

Ah I would be excited but for all of these reports of lost files???

2 Likes
  • What can’t you do with DEVONthink?
  • Have you looked at the built in Help or manual?
3 Likes

There aren’t “all these reports of list files” as noted in my response in that thread.

2 Likes

How about the TakeControl of DEVONthink book, or the Kourosh Dini book on taking notes with DEVONthink? Both of these are great resources (as is the VERY good built in Help in DEVONthink).

I am looking forward to David’s Field Guide, too - always nice to have more approaches, presented in different mediums.

6 Likes

I have been a HEAVY user of DEVONthink since version 1 (almost 20 years now), and it has never let me down. I am one of those folks who rarely use the Finder, and keep everything in DEVONthink, except my git repos which are indexed by DEVONthink. Well, all my music stuff isn’t there either, I guess. Awesome software.

9 Likes

I will have top check out those materials. I need all the help I can get with DEVONthink. I like it but I don’t have the time to fiddle around with it without knowing what I’m doing, and I don’t want to mess something up and loose everything.

1 Like

I’m just getting started with DEVONThink. I’m really struggling with importing v. indexing.

This is covered in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing section. And yes, anyone interested in indexing should read this section, especially Indexing and the filesystem.

PS: We have our own DEVONtech forums for specific discussion of DEVONtech apps.

2 Likes

If you can operate the Finder, you can operate DEVONthink. Not hyperbole or marketing hype.

I suggest you check out the Help > Documentation > Getting Started chapter.

And again… Remember we have our own DEVONtech forums for specific discussion of DEVONtech apps.

2 Likes

My problem is that when I don’t fully understand the database/inbox/groups. I’ve tried to make separate databases for separate needs but they never seem to sync right or show up correctly. It’s definitely user error on my part and I need to go through the tutorials. Right now my use case is just exporting receipt emails to PDF and then adding them to my main DEVONThink Inbox. I want to do more and need to get on top of it.

How do I get hooked up with that?!

Just click the link in my response and register on our forums. We also use Discourse for our forums so it will feel familiar there too.

I don’t fully understand the database/inbox/groups.

Covered in Getting Started > DEVONthink Simplified. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just created an account for it! Thank you.

1 Like

My pleasure. Welcome aboard.

PS: Our forums and support ticket system are my yard.
In the MPU forums, I’m just playing at the neighbor’s house :wink:

9 Likes

You won’t loose everything unless you stick it in DEVONthink’s trash, then empty the trash. If you have backups running WITHIN DEVONthink, you can also recover from there, as well as from Time Machine, etc, etc.

DEVONthink also rocks because you can always EXPORT everything from it’s database and stop using it - no harm, no foul.

3 Likes

You won’t loose everything unless you stick it in DEVONthink’s trash, then empty the trash.

And to slightly amend this…
Emptying a database’s Trash in DEVONthink does not delete the files from the filesystem. It put them in the system Trash. If you empty the Trash in the Finder, then they’re more gone :slight_smile:

@dsh1705:

If you have backups running WITHIN DEVONthink…

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

1 Like

I forgot that backups happen automatically now - they used to be a preference in DEVONthink (am I remembering correctly?)

There are internal metadata backups per database. DEVONthink makes a weekly backup, preserving two backups. (There used to be a preference to specify the interval and number of backups in DEVONthink 2.x but we ran into people setting these too high and frequent, causing their databases to grow much larger than is reasonable.)

Just to clarify for passers-by: DEVONthink doesn’t do file backups.
Also, Sync is ​not ​a backup, neither advertised nor advocated as such. We strongly advocate proper primary backups using TimeMachine (or similar snapshot-style backup applications) and external drives. Also, you should read the series of articles we posted: DEVONtechnologies | Search & Find

1 Like