DEVONthink for thinking and knowledge management

I don’t like the new V3 UI. The old one, in particular the much missed 3 pane view is still a very sore point with me. New one is harder to use, and harder on the eyes. Much like the latest OF is as well.

OK. Buy this, and this. Think of a color. Start writing.

3 Likes

And don’t forget a sharpener.

I just spent a long time reading the 8 gazillion-post threat on the DEVONthink forum about this very topic. I don’t miss it, but I can’t believe they haven’t either 1) re-implemented it or 2) explained sufficiently WHY they haven’t implemented it.

I find this version, in general, nicer to look at. I’d appreciate some more refinements, though.

3 Likes

That’s not what they do.
I’ve begun emailing tech support directly with any suggestions or issues I have to avoid their tech support person on the forum that essentially says, “That’s the way we made it.”

Here’s a prime example

2 Likes

I’m not so sure about that pencil sharpener. Isn’t a desk-mounted one better? Then you’ll always know where it is. And don’t forget you’ll want a little one in case you need it on the go. Also, what’s the best approach to sharpening? A professor at my design school alma mater ran an entire 1.5 hour workshop-lecture on sharpening a pencil and how to use it as a ritual for readying yourself for the work…

Wait, did someone say something about keeping it simple? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

No, sadly it isn’t. There’s a certain taciturn and stubborn sentiment at Devon. Over the years I went from using DevonNote in 2007 to DT to DTP. It was a mostly satisfying experience but it got increasingly frustrating. I did not need DTP’s uniquely useful capabilities so it enabled me to easily jump ship to EagleFiler in 2016 after banging my head against Devon’s Customer Service wall about a bug they refused to address for literally years (then fixed soon after I switched).

3 Likes

Yes, I admit I sometimes go in there to read that developer’s responses just for entertainment value. It’s kind of funny when it’s not MY problem.

1 Like

Or you could go this route, too bad they’re sold out.

2 Likes

Oh snap! @beck went all northwestern on us!

3 Likes

Huh. DT’s developer says that backlinks will be implemented in a future release:

https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/can-wiki-link-gather-notes-like-roam-research-did-for-internal-link/56468/2

4 Likes

Coming soon in DT 4.6

4 Likes

Do you know that for a fact? (Sorry if you’re a DT dev, can’t see that from your profile)
Please say yes :grin:

Nah just estimating based on how long a lot of the v2 suggestions took to appear…

1 Like

4.6 would be exciting. We’ll probably see it in Spring of 2026? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Is that when the aliens are landing?

1 Like

Damn I just realized I read 3.6.
:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

No, it’s when the aliens have sucked all the valuable minerals up and headed off to Arcturus to look for the Zettlekasten mines.

4 Likes

The mines, you say…