DEVONthink ‚ should I buy it?

I think the “it’s not about the nail” video might apply to DEVONthink more than marriage… (this isn’t an insult; if you think it is, you missed the point of the video!)

I have to keep annual archives of some projects anyway, so I just copy the Databases folder onto that drive while I’m at it. It’s not a setup everyone is going to be able to manage, admittedly. The old drives are fun to occasionally browse.

1 Like

Don’t think it backs up iCloud?

Show me where it was acknowledged on the Offical DT forums or in a release notice as an official big fix, ,where a cause was identifed and where a fix was proven to work. Then I’ll believe you.

Until then, sorry, no dice.

Onee burned more than twice shy when what I lost is STILL, years later, causing me problems because I no longer have the data that I depended on DEVONThink to safeguard for me.

2 Likes

I am not sure what “it” is, but if you are referring to TimeMachine, I “hear” it does from reading.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251256047

Other articles out there. Try it and see.

The comment you are referring to is related to standard for system backups, e.g. TimeMachine, CCC, Chronosync, Backblaze, etc.). If you have concerns about these backups methods and tools discuss with those vendors I guess.

…and if anyone needs my improved AppleScript version of my script included in that thread just let me know!

To be clear, what my version now does it to create archived backups of all open DEVONthink databases and then provides, at the end, an option to re-open the workspace you had open at the start (i.e., before opening all the other databases you wish to archive).

Edit: corrected to refer to opening the original workspace, rather than a single database. (I’d not examined my script for a while!)

Stephen

2 Likes

Not only did you not answer the question, you completely missed the point. At least you’re consistent! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind offer. I’ll reach out to you if I decide to use DT as a primary repository rather than using it as a utility app, which is what I am now doing. Thanks again!

Actually, I’m importing files to DT. Because I have not decided whether or not to use DT as a primary repository for my research files, I have two locations of the same files—Finder AND imported into DT. The conflicting opinions and experiences of those in this forum concerning the reliability of DT makes my decision a difficult one. I like the power and flexibility of DT but given the experiences of some, I’m hesitant to trust these important files exclusively to DT. :thinking:

3 Likes

cc: @95omega @Medievalist

From what I understand about how DEVONthink and other database systems work, I distrust that open databases will always be picked up correctly on the fly by Time Machine and other tools such as Carbon Copy Cloner. I recommend quitting DEVONthink or at at least closing any open databases so that backup software does not capture them in an intermediate state.

However, DT does make its own internal copies of your databases, which you can restore from, and these are complete and will be saved when your usual backup tools run.

I would also recommend using DEVONthink’s File > Export Database Archive command, whenever you think of it, to put copies of your databases on your local drive. These are complete and will be picked up correctly by standard backup tools.

2 Likes

You are not supposed to trust your file exclusively to DT!
You should have a solid BackUp-Strategy to secure your files, no matter whether they are in a Finder-Folder, or a DT-Group (which is only a “special” kind of Finder Folder!).
DT3 is not a DataSafe, and there could be thousands of different reasons why files became damaged.

2 Likes

I do. I have multiple weekly backups to different hard drives located in two different locations. I’ve also used BackBlaze but I may not continue using BB. Between my backup protocol plus iCloud, I think my backup process is sufficient.

So, in this case you do not trust your data to DT, but to your BackUp System… :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

Well yes. Currently, I depend on Finder/iCloud plus multiple on and off-site backups to multiple hard drives. This is not incompatible with a concern about data corruption in DT given the bad experiences shared in this forum. What I have to determine is the extent to which I conclude those experiences are outliers given the large number of users depending on DT without issue.

There is no perfect system or completely fail safe system. We delude ourselves if we think so. What I do know is that the more pieces and complexity in a system, the more points of potential failure there are. For me the question is, “do I add DT to my system and trust it along side my backup strategies to enable me to retrieve critical information if the worst happens?”

4 Likes

Having two locations of the same files require a certain discipline otherwise you may unadvertently change things on both locations and lose consistency. Edit one file here, another file there, a minor change, … and after a couple of days you will be wondering which of the two locations are the authoritative source of truth?

Also, you need to consider the mobile aspect. Do you need to access your files while on mobile or tablet? Last time I used it, DTTG was useable but not exactly enjoyable.

As a “solution” to achieve interoperability on mobile I decided to index iCloud Drive folders into my DT databases. That’s a no-go. Don’t index iCloud Drive folders into your database, never, it’s not endorsed by DEVON and I have experienced first hand all the unpleasant stuff that happens when DT sync and iCloud Drive sync start doing funky dance movements together.

If memory serves well, on mobile/iPad with DTTG you should see a DT location inside your Files app, which should be accessing the items imported into your DT databases, that would be the best approach for accessing or modifying your files on the go.

1 Like

Thanks for the good input.

Having two locations of the same files require a certain discipline otherwise you may unadvertently change things on both locations and lose consistency.

Currently I only work with the files via the associated application. I have a recurring task to import to DT. IF I go exclusively with DT, I’ll only work with the files within DT or via “Open with”. I’ll then archive and export on a recurring schedule to Finder as additional “backup”.

Also, you need to consider the mobile aspect. Do you need to access your files while on mobile or tablet? Last time I used it, DTTG was useable but not exactly enjoyable.

I use mobile to add or quickly review files. I agree with your assessment of DTTG.

I’m importing, not indexing, for the reasons you mention.

If memory serves well, on mobile/iPad with DTTG you should see a DT location inside your Files app, which should be accessing the items imported into your DT databases, that would be the best approach for accessing or modifying your files on the go.

I was not aware of this, I’ll check it out.

Thanks again!

DTTG user manual, page 31.

1 Like

This whole thread was a pleasant and fun read. I’m about 50/50 on each half of the argument.

The thread really does about some up devonthink in my experience too…this thing is crazy powerful, super quirky (I mean who requires scripts to be able to back something up, or write a script to do everything!), has amazing integration with UUID, but if you ask a question or have an issue (devs do respond but often times seem very confrontational) it feels like “no soup for you!”

4 Likes

Love the Seinfeld reference. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I think some of the tone may be language dependent? The tone of German responses is very different.

4 Likes