DEVONthink: stuck at the bottom of the hill

DTP is a great document manager and I too had trouble getting started with it when I wanted to move from EN.
To help myself start, I imported all my EN stuff into one database, with all the messiness that is part of the transfer, and then promptly forgot about it.
I then started a brand new database and started adding documents (bills, receipts, web clippings in the form of PDF or webarchive) to it, creating folders/structure as I go.
Then when I find a little bit of free time, I take a few minutes to look through my old database and move a couple of files from there to the new database.

By moving everything to DTP in one go I eliminate the awkward phase of being in two apps at once, and by storing old stuff in a separate database Iā€™m free to create a new working environment without legacy structures getting in my way.

Hope that helps.

5 Likes

Another tip (from a guy who recently made just this same transition): Start slow. Donā€™t even THINK about importing your Evernote notes to DevonThink at first. Just start using DevonThink for new projects while continuing to use Evernote for anything thatā€™s already in Evernote. Use them both side-by-side for a while.

Thatā€™s the opposite of @vishaeā€™s advice, of course!

Itā€™s been a couple of months for me and Iā€™m STILL using both Evernote and DevonThink. Iā€™m now going whole days without opening Evernote at all. Iā€™m starting to think now is the time to import some of my most important Evernote notes into DevonThink. But Iā€™m in no rush.

Iā€™m still finding DevonThink sync to iOS slow and confusing. I donā€™t trust it.

1 Like

@handyman Iā€™m another happy Bear user. The web clipper was a major attraction with Evernote - i clipped everything - and recently Bearā€™s clipper - under Share on IOS- has become as good as Evernoteā€™s clipper.
The thing about Bear is i enjoy using it, this is why i keep using it.
And Bear syncs MacOS / iOS fast and flawless.

There is a learning curve to DEVONthink, but as many have pointed out try starting with a small problem you are trying to solve. For example I started scanning our kidsā€™ artwork and using tags for each childā€™s name to see a combined total per child of their artwork. Then we focused on capturing receipts. Once we got the database setup it was onto the iPhone as a capture device using Scanbot or Scanner Pro. As soon as either app uploads to iCloud, Hazel then runs on one of our Macā€™s at home and files it into DevonThink. My wife loves these two workflows! She said the interface makes more sense than Evernote did (although DTP is much uglier, especially on the Mac, than Evernote). We did this slowly over several months and left Evernote as is during this time. Then we imported all the Evernote databases into a single DEVONthink database so we had all the notes, but started with clean databases and moved content as needed. We also exported all of our Evernote notebooks as .enex files just in case weā€™d ever need to import them again into Evernote or DTP.

DevonThinkā€™s web clipper also has a ton of options. You can clip as a web archive or as markdown with an option for clutter-free layout. This drastically reduces the size of the files. The web archive downloads the images and the text, markdown just the links so each time you view the file you download the images. However, you can also easily edit the markdown file down to just the content you need for your reference file. Other options for clipping in DTP are plain text, rich text, bookmark, formatted note and one page and paginated PDF. Bearā€™s clipper is really good as well. Especially if you like markdown. There are times when DEVONthink has not been able to clip a web page so I switch to Bear and it almost always can do the trick, then I move the markdown into DTP.

DEVONthink also just came out with support for iCloud for database sync stores and this makes the setup a lot easier across multiple devices. However if you want to share databases with another DEVONthink user, then Dropbox, Box.com or a WebDAV server will be your best bet. Note that you can encrypt your databases on cloud storage which gives another layer of protection, and you can have some databases in iCloud and some in shared cloud storage providers.

Take Control has a great book to get you started as well.

I do not regret the move from Evernote to DEVONthink. At the same time, I still recommend Evernote to a lot of people. Both great reference tools and each has their downsides and strengths. And as a few have mentioned, Bear is another option for reference and notes. In terms of simple to more complex, Iā€™d rank them as Bear, then Evernote and last DEVONthink. And the more data you collect, the more likely you may want to consider moving towards DEVONthink.

5 Likes

I have one database for personal, one for work, another for Evernote files that had been imported, and then another called research. What do other people use for databases?

1 Like

Mine are:
Personal records
Personal research and web clippings
Work records
Work research, law, and web clippings
1 database each for 3 local bar association committees I sit on
Contacts and Experts
Presentations
Jury Verdict database
Seminars
Daily notebook
Evernote (just an import of my Evernote files from years ago)

I also have a few databases for some one-off things. For example, if it is a year where I sit on an arbitration panel for a week, I start a database for that and all the info for the cases Iā€™ll hear goes in there.

Iā€™ve thought about combining the two personal databases into 1, and the 2 work databases into one, although I seem to recall them being combined in the past, and I had a reason for splitting them apart that I no longer remember. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Fantastic! 2 days on this forum gave me more ideas than 2 months hunting online. @MitchWagner @schmidgall @vishae @FrMichaelFanous I will give many of your tips a try. @Simonbnz and @Handyman Bear sounds great, but I have very little text-based data in the flow I am looking to optimized.

Thanks again to all!

Maybe now I wonā€™t have to be embarrassed with these two buttons fighting it out in Safari:
buttons

2 Likes

Now I just need a workflow to scrape my old file structure for PDFā€™s that do not have text and OCR them in placeā€¦
Has anyone solved that one?

Exactly. This screenshot shows that I can open and annotate a PDF from DT. When I save and close PDF Expert, the annotations I made are saved to the PDF in DT. Works like a charm! :slight_smile: Annotate%20PDF%20in%20DTOP

3 Likes

and with that trick successfully completed, I now officially get DTP.
:fist:t3:

2 Likes

I use bothā€¦ Evernote for work and DevonThink for personal items. The reason I still use Evernote ā€“ it syncs with the Windows computer Iā€™m forced to use at work.

1 Like

My databases:

• Clippings - All the non-work articles I read on the web get clipped here. I want a personal Google for those I-know-I-read-that-somewhere moments.

• Informa finance and benefits - the company I work for is called ā€œInforma.ā€ Possibly I should make that a group of my Misc database. There isnā€™t much in it.

• La Mesa-Foothills Democratic Club - I volunteer for that organization.

• Light Reading content - Light Reading is the name of the publication Informa pays me to write for. This is my primary database; itā€™s all my research for all my articles. It also includes all my work-related web clippings, including random articles I might find useful later.

• Light Reading misc - policies and procedures for work.

• Misc. The most random of random databases. Current contents include a map of some local walking trails, tickets to a Wordcamp (I ended up not attending), my United MileagePlus number (other frequent flyer numbers are spread out among Evernote and 1Password) and, oh, yes, notes toward a blog post on first impressions about Evernote.

1 Like

Similarly, I write my articles using Folding Text, which is a very nice MultiMarkdown editor. But I first create the document in DevonThink, and it lives inside DevonThink ever thereafter.

Now I just need a workflow to scrape my old file structure for PDFā€™s that do not have text and OCR them in placeā€¦
Has anyone solved that one?

@Isaac, you can use DTP to determine whether PDFs have searchable text or not by adding the ā€˜Kindā€™ attribute to the document-list view. PDFs that are searchable will have a ā€˜PDF+Textā€™ value, whereas those without OCR, will have a ā€˜PDFā€™ value.

From your question it isnā€™t clear to me whether you have already mirrored your old file structure into DTP using the ā€˜indexā€™ feature. If you have not, you will have to index the highest-level folder containing your PDFs in your old file structure. Once the folder (and its subfolders) are indexed, you should be able to search using the ā€˜Kindā€™ attribute in order to limit what you see in the document-list view to those items that are ā€˜PDFā€™ (i.e., without text). Select all (command + A) within the document list and then go to the Data menu in the menu bar, select Convert, and then ā€˜Searchable PDF.ā€™ After a little while, all of your PDFs will be made searchable.

Iā€™m still relatively new to DTP, but one thing I learned: Create the databases you need, and then make groups within them. Setting up a database and getting it to sync across multiple Macs and iOS takes some time, so I set up three and no more (for now):

Clients - for current client projects
Ongoing - for clients that have ā€œliveā€ websites, for ongoing smaller tasks
Archives - for inactive projects

The key is I only sync Clients and Ongoing between my Macs and iPad Pro. Archives only lives on my desktop Mac.

So no more time setting up databases and getting them to sync (I use Dropbox) - I simply add a new group for a new client/project in the appropriate database. When a project is done, I copy it to the Archives database as a group, and when the copy is successful, I delete the group from the original database.

So the syncing setup does not change, and everything appears magically where it ought to be :wink:

1. I like the simplicity of your system.
  2. DTP now syncs with iCloud, might be more reliable then Dropbox.
  3. Why not move the project from one database to the other and not have to delete it from the original database?

Hokey smokes you have a lot of databases! Iā€™d personal advocate if youā€™re willing and comfortable combining into just 2 or 3 databases. Just me personally though. When you clip stuff from the web or add stuff into DevonThink, do you send it to itā€™s respective database or have it go to the inbox to sort later?

Ok. Is it ok to admit that I purchased DEVONThink on a deal not too long ago. I bought it because David spoke so highly about it at one point and I remember that he noted that the files you put in stay easy to access and pull out if needed (his roach motel analogy worked on me regarding Evernote).

With that out, I have to also admit that I have absolutely no idea what DT does. I thought that buying it and installing it would helpā€¦not so much. With that Take Control book help with learning what it actually does?

I am struggling to get my digital life in order. I have a sense that DT can help, but at the original post implied, I too am stuck at the bottom of the hillā€¦and I am not even sure if it is a hill!

2 Likes

@SteveT I admitted it yesterday when I started this discussion and 38 posts later there are some really good tips to dig in. Check out post #24 above as a great start.

I usually send it to its database. I even have some Drafts actions for notes to go to different Dropbox folders that are automatically pulled into the right databases on my Mac.

I know of other people who have many more databases than me. If I recall correctly, Gabe Weatherhead (Macdrifter.com) is someone who has a ton. I started a few years ago with just work and personal, but I like the segregation I have now.