DEVONthink: stuck at the bottom of the hill

@Scottisloud Thank you so much. This is really helpful. Loved the group level setting.
One other question, once you downloaded a document, how to put it back to cloud (on demand) so that you can free up that space in the phone?

The command you want in DTTG is ā€œpurgeā€ as explained under section 3 here.

1 Like

Thanks. I saw the Purge action button on individual file/group level but the ā€œDownloadedā€ folder does not have any Purge button. I am sure over the time, it is hard to see what is downloaded in what group/database and idea for a separate ā€œDownloadedā€ folder was to quickly see all offline files available and i hoped there was a quick Purge function there too. Am i missing something or we just need to wait for feature update.

Where is the 'Downloaded" folder? Is it a group you created in DTPO?

In Mobile app, it is one of the smart folder/group. When you click ā€˜Editā€™ on right top corner then there are list of folders which you can select to display all time. Will share screenshot later.

This is definitely a matter of personal preference. I professionally advocate smaller, more focused databases over large consolidated ones.

The number of items who retain their downloaded contents is controlled the DTTGā€™s Settings > Keep slider.

Iā€™ve personally oscillated between fewer, more generalized databases and a larger number of more focused databases. Iā€™m still not sure which one works the best for my situation, Iā€™m currently back on a ā€œlarger number of more focusedā€ databases kick right now.

The nice thing is, itā€™s actually fairly trivial to divide up or combine databases so these moves require little effort or disruption (unless you have a larger number of indexed files, in which case you do need to take a bit more care).

@rkv, a possible alternative to Evernoteā€™s web clipping is to use Pop Clip with the DevonThink extension. (I also use it with Evernote.) Select a piece of text anywhere, a small popup bar appears and select the DevonThink button. It sends the text into the DT inbox. Only drawback might be that it is text-based only.

1 Like

I have been using Devonthink for 8 years. It has everything in it. However recently started using Evernote to keep current projects etc

Can replicants exist across databases? I wasnā€™t able to get that to work, which is why Iā€™ve consolidated into a few broader scope databases.

@SteveH Replicants are unable to be used across Databases. This is because they are really just aliases and the DB wouldnā€™t have access to it if the originating DB was closed or not on that computer, not to mention that it may not even have access to the other DB if you password protected either DB 1 or DB 2.

2 Likes

Thanks, Josh. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve observed, although I was holding out hope.

Just checking/stating the obvious - Replicants cannot, but Duplicates can span DBā€™s.

OCR Hand-written Notes workflow for DTP?

There is one function that I canā€™t seem to replicate. I like to handwrite my work meeting notes in pen and paper and then scan them once I capture the tasks. I liked that EN did OCR on handwriting, but got creeped out when they changed their privacy.

Either Goodnotes or Notability should do the job for you.

I have considered DEVONthink several times, but not sure if I really need it. I usually place all my notes and reference material in a note/writing app. At the moment that app is Ulysses. I really love Ulysses, but pictures, pdf-files often end up in Finder. Folder structure becomes a chore and sometimes I just delete stuff because I get tired of thinking out where I should place it. Web pages I could print to pdf and put in finder, but I rarely do. Would be nice to have everything in one place. Could DEVONthink be for me? And how would that integrate with Ulysses? Export my own notes to DEVONthink?

I am moving to DEVONthink, per Rosemary Orchardā€™s, after reading her thoughts on the program. #1 reason: To have everything in one place. I am not a PowerMac person. So, DEVONthink will be a continuous learning process. But this is part of life!

1 Like

Does DT link with other apps, particularly Documents by Reedle? I like how this app is linked with iCloud so I can annotate documents on iOS and still have access to them on MAC. How would I annotate documents on the iPad and then keep them in DT? With that, it would kill my workflow for sureā€¦
I keep coming back to DT but I am just not convinced.
thank you
Hank

Itā€™s a document provider that works in Files, but Documents canā€™t reach into all the document providers (Apple limitation), so you canā€™t view the DT DB there as it stands.

I just open PDFExpert (for example), and then open the document from DT, then when it saves it saves back to that location (thatā€™s how document providers work), which updates it in DT for me.

1 Like