Did DEVONthink get the DTTG3 pricing right?

Yes I agree with you on this one. People’s reactions are often overdone. It’s probably not an issue specific here in our case. I understand your stance that devs don’t deserve this. But I wish there was a better way. Because usually if people are not getting in arms, nothing can be changed.

1 Like

This. There are some things that are priced for a particular market, and the price is sane for that market - but not others.

A hairstylist friend of mine buys $300 scissors. She understands the reason for them, and presumably they provide $280 more in value than the $20 scissors I’d probably buy for the same task, otherwise she wouldn’t buy them. :slight_smile:

I’d obviously prefer to spend less on everything I have to buy, but the DTTG3 pricing doesn’t feel like an outright cash grab to me. Some other apps have definitely felt that way when they made the transition to subscription (doubling or tripling the app’s one-time price, then charging that per year!)

1 Like

Well, let’s say I didn’t participate in that discussion (I think it was on Fantastical?) for a reason. :slight_smile:

Software costs money and I do understand that it’s preferable, from a developer’s point of view, to have a constant stream of income as opposed to one-off income. On the other hand, like it or not, selling your own app (or even owning a business which sells apps) makes you an entrepreneur who may have to cope with some uncertainties, which can probably be tough especially for indie developers who… well, chose to be creators of a great product and are only entrepreneur “by accident”/because they didn’t have much of a choice.

I’m not here to tell anybody how to sell his/her app or which model to like. If it’s your app, you get to decide how much you want people to pay for it and how often people are to pay for it. But I think the way Devon Technologies and the Omni Group give users a choice may actually be a really smart business decision, because it allows these companies to basically reap the entire market of “users who are, in general, willing to pay for a quality product”. The subscription model has made me step away from software which I like to use only on and on/off-basis, so that revenue was lost to the developer. And yes, I could have paid for a subscription when I want to use the app and then immediately cancel, but I don’t want to actively manage subscriptions, I want to use good software and stay flexible.

That being said, the option of buying a monthly OmniGraffle subscription gave me the opportunity to use it for one specific project, which will probably only take me 2-3 months. So without Omni Group going “subscription, but optional”, I would probably now painfully build a network diagram in PowerPoint. :wink: In other words, choice can be a great thing in both directions and not only avoid losing customers, but actually winning some additional customer revenue. I really feel that’s a win-win, but maybe that’s a minority opinion.

3 Likes

And the fact that it’s useful now might prod you to buy it after the first couple months if you discover some other things it’s useful for.

People tend to find creative uses for things beyond their initial rationale for purchasing/trying. :slight_smile:

I actually bought DTTG initially intending to use it as an everything document organiser. That didn’t go well for a few reasons. So I ended up using it more like a shelf app, albeit way too expensive and advanced in this category.

That it indeed very likely. I tried OmniGraffle before, but I did not have a specific use-case which made me need it. It was more like “Let’s try to do some stuff here because MacSparky always says how useful it is… oh well, that’s weird, the software feels different from drawing charts in PowerPoint. Whatever.”. Now I “have” to use it because it’s the better option for my need, and I’ll have enough time to get used to the product.

It is actually somehow comparable to DevonThink, minus the subscription: DT’s trial period has been insanely long. But that gave me enough time to actually get used to its somehow different approach to things and eventually, I was hooked and bought it. (Even though I could probably still be using the trial version.)

I think DT thought of everything with the new pricing. No complaints, especially about the long trial for users who are upgrading. I expect I won’t think twice about paying my fee in June.

Re: Omni, I like their flexibility as well because OF is a 366-days-a-year app for me, so it makes a lot of sense to buy it, and OmniGraffle is also a periodic burst of use app for me, so I’m glad I can always rent the latest version when I need it.

Whatever advances are letting mobile developers implement these increasingly sophisticated pricing models are welcome.

1 Like

Yup. I’m going to give the app a solid once-over once the rest of my data syncs, and I probably won’t even wait until June. In the long term, “now” vs. “June” isn’t a huge timeframe when we’re only talking about $20. :slight_smile:

Upgrade pricing was a no brainer.
nice transition like this, think they did well by everyone.

4 Likes

V3 is so much better than v2.x. Appreciate DT giving customers different payment options and I’ve paid for upgrade straight away.

I think it’s pretty much on the money for me. If oyu had a DT 2 license you get the free till mid summer discount. I’ll almost certainly spring for the yearly subscription then.

1 Like

Perfect. I bought the upgrade immediately even though I could use it free through June. I prefer a one time purchase, but if I had to do the 1.99 a month, or 14.99 a year, I’d be fine with it.

They nailed it for me. :dart:

They did nail it.

Version 3 is much better and the upgrade pricing is really fair.