Did you Pre-Order the Studio Display Monitor?

I am considering between the standard and nano display option. I am not entirely sure I want an upgrade because my LG ultrafine on VESA mount is doing the job. My plan is to check it out and if its not that much different, I will be returning it and keeping the ultrafine that has served me well for years.

any thoughts on Nano vs standard?

From what I can tell, the nano is more delicate. Given the number of times I touch my screen to e.g. clean it, reposition it, etc. I went with standard. I’m lucky though, the glare isn’t too bad for my office.

1 Like

I went with nanotexture. My current office is arranged so that glare is not a problem, but I hope to use these displays for a good long time (that’s what I told myself to justify the cost, anyway). When I move, the nanotexture display may give me more flexibility in how I set up my next office.

I went with nano texture. My understanding is that the nano-texture display here does not add perceptible cloudiness to the image, which is what sets it apart from old-school matte displays.

I think if the nano options were worse in any way, you would hear about it from more people. But certainly, if you’re the sort of person who touches your monitor ever (I am not), then it would behoove you to consider the glossy instead.

1 Like

I bought the standard display option. This display should be just like the display on an M1 iMac, correct? That’s what I want. I like a glossy display.

I’m still trying to figure out how I can afford a $7,337.12 price tag for a new desktop setup.

2 Likes

I can’t figure out what to do with the mount. I’d rather get the apple adjustable but I think it’s only adjustable 4 inches of height. That doesn’t seem like enough to me so I’m planning to go VESA unless someone can correct my math or perspective. I use my sit/stand desk in both positions every day and need to move my monitor all the time.

1 Like

This still sounds totally fine. I saw the nano textured one in an Apple Store and wasn’t bothered. Of course, I don’t have 20/20 vision anymore, so YMMV.

2 Likes

Yep. Can’t wait to see it on my Desk.

I use a VESA mount with my sit/stand desk and I love it. It frees up desk surface space and is infinitely and easily adjustable (any height, side to side, forward and back). I will choose VESA over an adjustable stand for all future purchases.

1 Like

I did this for the first time on my desk (as opposed to just messing with AR). Sill ordering some Studio Displays.

1 Like

Yes, $50 in sheer drapes from Pottery Barn will fix the glare problem instantly.

1 Like

Joe Cieplinski:

Advice for those looking into that new display: See it in the store before assuming you want the matte finish. I find it dulls the colors so badly it’s not worth the glare reduction. Better to invest in improving your office lighting.

Stammy:

If nano-texture on this display is anything like the XDR - don’t get it.

It works soo well for reducing glare but wow it’s so ridiculously delicate. I’m super careful around it and have random scratches

Source:
https://mjtsai.com/blog/2022/03/08/studio-display/

1 Like

I ordered a TouchID keyboard as well. Should be arriving Friday.

1 Like

The better question is did I WANT to order the display. Yes. But, no, I did not. Just bought a 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro. My budget is shot.

2 Likes

What is the advantage of the 5K 27" Studio monitor over the LG 27" 5K Ultrafine?

1. Build quality and enclosure
  2. Speaker quality
  3. Much better webcam with centre stage
  4. If I’m not mistaken, the USB ports are faster
  5. The LG has a production flaw involving some soldering, or so I’ve been told, that guarantees it will always die at the USB-C connection point for your Mac. I doubt this is true of the Studio Display.
  6. A matte option is available.
  7. The screen has a glass cover and is not recessed like the LG.

They’re not really that comparable unless your only metric is image quality.

3 Likes

And we both forgot: it’s also about 20% brighter.

2 Likes

I didn’t preorder one, but I’ll definitely be replacing an LG 5K with one this year, and then putting the LG with another machine. No shame in a good monitor being bumped by a great one. :slight_smile:

For me the main benefits are going to be the greater brightness, better speakers, True Tone, and perhaps improved port passthrough vs. what I’m able to do now. Things that won’t matter to me (yet anyway) are the stand, the camera, and the case material/look. I use Vesa mounting, which is why the stand doesn’t matter (can’t stand wobble.)

I’m interested, but not convinced.

Wish they offered a cheaper one without camera, speakers, and A13 chip.

1 Like