Disappointed (or not) by Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

No sorry. It was one of the major site reviews with a seeded unit whose video was posted once the embargo date passed. Maybe Dieter Bohn’s review, cant be sure

Can you point me to that? To my knowledge Apple itself never advertised iPhones in cases.

Frankly I wish you had, but TLDR.

2 Likes

sure, there you go: https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=iphone+5c+commercial

Where’s the commercial showing the 5C in a case?

Honestly, I’m not sure if I’m more frustrated or disappointed by this keyboard. Apple has done nothing to solve my biggest problem with lap-based use while working on the couch! Nothing! How am I supposed to work like this?

8 Likes

I’m surprised you can even manage one typing hand vs. that professional cuddler!

2 Likes

This one has it: https://youtu.be/nmB-IyIX3pM

Thanks. I stand corrected. So Apple did produce one commercial with a case on a product; it just happened to be the worst case they sold (holes randomly and unpleasantly covering text and logo) for a phone that did most poorly compared to Apple’s expectations. (First - and last- iPhone sold that was “unapologetically plastic.”) Wonder if they took a lesson from that…

Received mine today. I have the iPad Pro 2020 11 inch. First impression is that the quality is great. The keyboard is better than the one on my Macbook Pro 13 2017. The touchpad is very good, but not as good as on my Macbook. The reduced trackpad size is also something I have to get used to.

Right now I could definetly use my iPad for everything I do at work on my Macbook. Might go for at 12.9 iPad Pro instead of a Macbook next time. For now I plan to use my iPad at home. Mostly as a tablet without a case. When writing I will simply put it in the Magic keyboard and write with style.

1 Like

Neat trick. I read about “drafting mode” on MacRumors, I think. It works well!

(not sure why Discourse rotated the image. weird. edit: apparently it’s a known bug in iOS 13)

1 Like

I tried really hard to make the 11 inch keyboard work for me but I just sent a second one back (I ordered the Arabic keyboard at first but found the keys too cluttered and the shift key was impossibly small). I wanted to agree with everyone that the weight of it is not an issue but I found it impacting the circulation in my legs sporadically (oddly, my MBP 13 doesn’t do that, perhaps because the weight is better distributed). I was also starting to feel RSI issues (which I don’t normally have) in neck and wrist. I wanted to love the trackpad but it ultimately felt too cramped. I think I hold an ipad on my lap closer to me than I do a laptop and that was part of the problem. For me being able to fold the Smart Keyboard folio back on itself while using the pencil is important. I don’t actually really like using the ipad on its own (I tried a lot this weekend. It gets heavy to hold and the edges are kind of sharp).If I didn’t have a laptop I probably would have kept it. Also, if I did a ton of writing and editing on my ipad I’m sure I would have kept it. In fact, it was my hope that the keyboard would be so nice that I would use if more for writing, but in the end it feels more cramped to me than the 11 inch smart folio keyboard cover’s keyboard does. Maybe it is because on the latter there is more space between the keys. I am not a fan of the butterfly keyboard on my 2018 MBP, but somehow I like it on the smart folio.

Hey gang, let’s keep it about the keyboard, and be cool toward each other. Have had a couple of comments flagged as inappropriate.

6 Likes

@ismh it was Folly (my greyhound) wasn’t it? The adoption agency did tell us she was a “flashy and flirty diva.”

More on topic: Gruber and Dieter Bohn discuss the keyboard on the latest episode of The Talk Show. In particular, they dive into the difference between the 11” and 12.9” experience. (Stephen gets into this a bit in the latest episode of Connected, too, but Gruber and Dieter really get into the details.)

https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2020/04/30/ep-283

The difference between the 11” and the 12.9” is apparently substantial. It might explain the polar differences in experience between people in this thread. I noticed some of the things Gruber mentions immediately—the various squeezed keys are definitely weird. I am getting used to it pretty quickly, though. Perhaps I have a higher tolerance… I did just try to go ortholinear.

Otherwise it’s been a lovely addition to the iPad. I’ve used it on couches, armchairs, and on lawn chaise-type chairs in the backyard (great timing to get this just before summer!). It reminds me of the 11” MacBook Air that was my entry into macOS. Super joyful to just pick up and take somewhere comfortable to escape the desk.

I initially was worried about the limited viewing angles. The moment you first tilt it back as far as it can go is jarring. But then, in actual use, it hasn’t seemed to matter. I imagine this is the kind of thing that was heavily tested and addressed in Apple’s design labs.

One caveat: I have had shoulder pain after 2/2 solid typing experiences. As I write this I’m trying to be conscious of my ergonomics beyond the wrists—I have a hunch that’ll help. (Pun intended.)

1 Like

I opted for the new Brydge. Haven’t received it yet but hopefully soon. I have a MacBook Pro that need to be retired and I am hoping my new iPad and keyboard will fill the bill- especially cutting and pasting spreadsheets and word docs. If so I intend to get a Mac mini for my office at home.

I’m super bummed I didn’t love the Magic Keyboard because I really had high expectations making the purchase. I was going to give it some time and continue using it because of all of the acclaim it is receiving from fellow Macheads, but reliability issues led me to print my return label yesterday. I’m guessing I got a dud/defective unit because at times clicks on the trackpad would not register and the keyboard would randomly lose connectivity and prevent me from typing. I haven’t seen these issues reported anywhere else. These events would inevitably happen when I was typing out chart notes and I would have to scramble to not miss documenting valuable information while patients were talking to me. As someone who still uses a 2015 MacBook Pro 13 inch every day to avoid the butterfly keyboard, I just couldn’t put up with a typing experience that wasn’t close to 100% reliable.

When I put it side by side with the Keyboard Folio I couldn’t say it was worth the 2-3x price difference. The extra weight and thickness made me feel like it was more of a dock than a case accessory, and I feel like a better docked setup can be had with an adjustable iPad stand and the Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad. I can see why some people love it because of the nice key feel and the extra USB-C port for charging, but ultimately using the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro left me underwhelmed for the price.

4 Likes

I have received the new Magic Keyboard. I can’t speak for others but I think it is awesome! I love the typing experience and the ability to keep my hands on the keyboard and not have to reach up. I think this is going to be a game changer. I wrote in a previous post why using the iPad exclusively would be of value.

Since that post I have been using the iPad for 80%+ of my work. With this new magic keyboard with the trackpad I should be able to use the iPad for 99%. For my work needs the only sticking point I see is when I need to do multiple file manipulation. It will take me a couple of days to retrain my muscle memory but this should be a great experience overall. For 99% of my work I will have one device, one OS, one GUI to use. While there will be points of friction, for my use case, they will be minimal compared to the overall productivity, modular capabilities, mobility, long battery life, and ease of use.

6 Likes

I was conservative and only just now got the keyboard for the 12.9”, replacing the keyboard folio. It’s been a good choice. The keyboard is much, much more pleasant to type on. My hands sit on it naturally (for the device size) without the track pad interfering. The weight doesn’t feel like it’s in the iPad range but has been fine (I’m used to carrying around an iPad and a laptop, or an iPad and a book, at the same time.) I haven’t had connection/typing delay issues yet, but I bet I will and they are what they are—I couldn’t get rid of them with the keyboard folio either, despite doing a replacement with Apple.

I do sign documents and read PDFs in portrait sometimes and so far the workflow has been fine. For quick portrait, I just grab the back of the iPad and rotate with the keyboard like I was doing before (more reliably, since the magnets are stronger.) For reading, discarding the keyboard has been fine. I don’t think I’d be okay with it on a train with no bag, but that’s a rare situation for me.

For the trackpad, enabling Tap to Click has been essential for editing. Scrolling input windows (like this one) has been my most used feature. I’ve yet to use the trackpad to do much UI interaction outside of text editing, but maybe I will when I’ve just finished an arm day workout and my body won’t move for me. :slight_smile:

No issues with the screen or the hinge. Like many, I could use an extra 5 degrees, but more of the screen is a good viewing zone than it was with the keyboard folio. Lap balance is fine.

It feels very weird to purchase what’s essentially a $1500 touch laptop in two pieces, but looking strictly at the benefits (better typing, editing, viewing, movie watching, and more safety for the iPad), this purchase works.

1 Like

So I recently received the Magic Keyboard for my iPad Pro. I absolutely love typing on it. There are a few things that drive me a bit nuts, though, and I know they are petty…

• It is HEAVY
  • many keyboard shortcuts work, but not all. It’s surprising what works and what doesn’t
  • can’t enter accents by holding a key and selecting the desired character
  • there’s no escape key
  • can’t swipe slide over screens away

And I know this is crazy first-world stuff, but it is more difficult to open than with the standard leather cover on my last iPad Pro. I actually opt for my phone at times just because its easier to get started for a quick task.

But I love so many things

• I am so much faster on this keyboard than on the on-screen
  • drag and drop is a dream!
  • I am simply more productive using this set up as a Mac replacement
  • gestures—need I say anything more?

All-in-all a winner!

One other note not related to the keyboard is the fabulous way the new pencil stays attached to the top of the iPad. It hasn’t fallen off yet. Very pleasant surprise…

Thar slide over thing drives me nuts as well!

Use Cmd + . for escape!

Mine failed within a month, then they’ve been out of stock of U.S. versions in my region so that I don’t know if I’ll ever replace it. It functions well in its basic uses, but with the weight thing, I might as well carry a laptop. I also use it a lot as a grab-and-go musicmaking device because the speakers are so good (considering the form factor), and taking it off a stand is much more convenient that detaching it from its magnets. That also goes for using it for drawing with the Pencil 2, which I love. It seems in my use case, and given my other MacBooks, iPad Mini, and iPhone, I simply don’t need a keyboard for this iPad Pro.

I bought the Magic Keyboard for my iPad Pro 12.9" (2018) and have really been enjoying it. I bought it and it took a few weeks to show up. In the mean time, I dropped my Magic Trackpad which I had been using, and it broke the glass. Can anyone say splinters in your fingers? Timing worked out and there’s not much chance of me breaking the trackpad on the keyboard. I was really surprised at how easy it is to pull the iPad away from the keyboard, yet it stays on with no issues. I’ll be keeping mine.

Etz