Discord vs discourse - rant

Yes, but with a seven member senior leadership team that would require a conference call. In this particular instance, group text messaging is better. :slightly_smiling_face:

Discord just seems like a lot every time I try and use it.

need a night class to get the gist of it.

just trying to small talk on the web with others over here – not trying to fly a space shuttle.

It’s not that hard, a few buttons and dials. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, no big deal :smiley:
The biggest problem was, that there are stones out there, with a better glider ratio, than an Space Shuttle…

1 Like

Discord is more of a “chat” platform than a “discussion” platform.

It seems like Discord is trying to combat that.

I agree. My fellow club members do not, however… :unamused:

But no Apple CarPlay. :crazy_face:

1 Like

It has AirPlay instead. :rofl:

1 Like

Given that Discord and Discourse are for different things, as many have pointed out, one question that remains unanswered here is: Why do so many people gravitate towards discord for everything? I mean: even when discourse would be more suitable, they still use discord.

Example from personal experience: I took an online course with several hundred participants and at the end of the course, people wanted to keep in touch, post learning progress, ask for advice, etc. During the course someone had created a WhatsApp-Group, but people wanted something better, some didn’t want to share their phone number via WhatsApp. Do someone set up a discord server and I contributed a discourse forum.

Most people signed up for discord, rather few (maybe 20) for discourse.

To me, the choice of the majority didn’t make any sense since we clearly didn’t need real time chat.

I don’t mean to discuss this specific example, it’s just to illustrate what is puzzling me. It seems that similar trends can be observed in other settings.

So I have a few (non-mutually exclusive) hypotheses as to why people gravitate towards discord:

1. More people are familiar with it and stick to what they know. They are familiar with it because it is extremely easy to set up so that many community admins use it. They are also more familiar with the name because most discord servers are referred to as discord servers. Many, perhaps most people on discourse forums don’t even know that they’re on a discourse forum.

2. Casual users may not think so much about the different communication formats: you type messages to other people and they reply, and then you reply back.

3. People are attracted by the business of a discord server. Messages popping up all the time and people respond quickly. It feels like being with people.

4. Discord is easier to understand and find your way around. There is a main channel and a limited number of thematic channels so you know where to go. Discourse has sooo many topics…

1 Like

I find the opposite–some of the discord servers I’ve joined have so many channels that they’re overwhelming. RelayFM is one example. Where do I start? How do I keep up?

On the other hand, I’ve been doing bulletin boards of one kind or another for more than 30 years. Discourse is familiar–it’s just the latest iteration of that BBS technology. You follow the topics that interest you, and ignore the vast majority of topics, which don’t.

I do participate in a few Discords. Smaller, less active ones.

7 Likes

Discord is free and extremely easy to set up, especially in comparison to Discourse.

I remember them and I’m only 61… Fidonet. Fun times!

1 Like

That various software developer groups all use Discourse says something positive about that environment. Other than the Discourse development team themselves, the Ruby with Ruby-on-Rails, Mozilla, Scrivener, Aeon Timeline, Python, and the LLVM teams all rely on user interactions via Discourse. LLVM being the group that develops what Apple uses as clang for compiling/linking macOS, iOS, iPadOS programs and apps.

On my few ventures into Discord it seems an appropriately named system.

1 Like

Discord was developed by and for gamers to use via voice (VOIP) or chat. That is it’s roots. Anything else since then has been bolted on.

1 Like

I can still remember my Fidonet node number and I’m 51 :slight_smile:

3 Likes