Discourse Notifications

Does anyone know if you can turn off the “you’ve earned (meaningless badge/award)” notifications in Discourse?

I don’t think they can be disabled. The creators of Discourse have strong opinions, and they created these badges/awards for a definite purpose. From What is Discourse? | Discourse - Civilized Discussion (emphasis added)

Our trust system means that the community builds a natural immune system to defend itself from trolls, bad actors, and spammers — and the most engaged community members can assist in the governance of their community. We put a trash can on every street corner with a simple, low-friction flagging system. Positive behaviors are encouraged through likes and badges. We gently, constantly educate members in a just-in-time manner on the universal rules of civilized discourse.

The badges are pretty low friction, and once you’ve been using Discourse for a while you’ll have gotten all of the easy badge/awards so you won’t see them very often any more. I’m very active on some other Discourse forums and I haven’t seen any awards/badges for a while, so it’s been kind of fun racking them up here the last couple of days.

By the way, depending on the forum settings, as you get awards and badges your trust level will go up, and you’ll have less restrictions on what you can posts (multiple links, for example). I’ve never seen any spam on any of the Discourse forums I’ve used, which is pretty awesome.

2 Likes

This is the 1st time I’ve used Discourse and so far I’m very impressed with it.

I deleted my Facebook account some time back so very pleased that MPU has moved to Discourse.

MPU has very quickly become my favourite forum.

Jeff Atwood (Discourse founder) just posted this blog entry today, I thought it seemed germane to this discussion.

I don’t care that the stupid badges EXIST, I simply don’t want to be notified that I posted with an emoji or I liked a post.

2 Likes

Is there no way to set granularity to the notifications?