Do you sometimes get tired of digital life?

Now that you mention it, being limited to 36 shots did keep you focused.

Well, it’s easy to pack additional film. :slight_smile: But I shoot a lot of medium format (120, 6x6, 12 shots) or large format (4x4, only 2 shots per holder). It certaily forces you to think more than being able to shoot thousands of frames at 9fps. Since I can only develop 6 4x5 sheets per batch, that’s the limit I settle for, trying to shoot 1-4 photos per “excursion”. 4 because I have negative carriers for 4.

1 Like

I understand. I had a Mamiya RB67 for a couple of years but I did most of my work with a pair of motor drive Nikons.

That was one place I went the other direction from my minimalist, ‘try to go back to analogue sometimes at least’ creed. I had a lifetime obsession with exact time keeping; for no real reason in my later years. I had a G-shock watch controlled from the time signals in Greenwich and it worked here in America for years from the weaker Colorado signal. I couldn’t resist perfect time on apple watch though. I use the time and date functions, the ‘unlock my mac’ function and nothing else. I do hav a yen for mechanical accurate watches still too.

1 Like

I still have one of those. Nikon F5, the best SLR ever built.

While I have an Apple Watch and like it’s features, especially for sports, I wear a real watch half the time.

Do you know how to set a once a minute ting or haptic on apple watch and/or iPhone? Or anybody. I find as I go more minimalist I can do less and less even when I want to on watch and phone. I really do nearly all my IT on the Mac now.

Yeah, I am really pondering whether to replace my steel apple watch when it stops taking updates or working, it is quite old and works well and I really do love it, but… I am really of two minds about it. I don’t use, on principle, any of the ‘health’ functions for complicated reasons I dare not introduce here. I actually think they are counter productive.

I have Universal time showing as well as the stop watch and timer functions that I use a lot for my excercise, cooking and other things. I use the Canadian 5BX airforce program still, in a spiral bound book but I know my stages by heart. I time it with a minute ting though, I have a rowing machine and stationary bike; mostly my wife uses them. They are good and have no electrical or electronic parts, other than some kind of battery powered gauge for ‘distance’ on both that I never use myself. I don’t really need either, the Airfiorce 5BX program works with no equipment at all other than either keeping your eye on a clock for minute intervals and timing runs or walks. I do use a minute TINGER that is all I use Intervals Pro for, since I couldn’t figure out how to do the apple watch native stuff for that. Any ideas anybody?
I also use the stop watch for my walks and runs. I established months ago, mile and other markers from maps and so on. Main thing is consistency with 5BX so dead accuracy doesn’t matter really.

Don’t laugh. Back in the pre-digital dark age I occasionally needed to know elapsed time when I couldn’t look at a watch. So I had a cassette tape that played a tone once a minute.

3 Likes

That is clever. Made my day as a matter of fact, I am dealing with a lot of dreary helpless behavior today.
That is a smart solution. I haven’t got a cassette player left, if I did I would use this! Not jokin’ Do you know another way on a iPhone without loading a special app?
In my case I don’t need split second timing, a second or so either side wouldn’t natter. I use an sand filled set of ‘hour glasses’ in the kitchen, some as short as two minutes but if I am excercising I can’t turn them over!

Why not play the video on your Mac and record the audio on your iPhone Voice Memo app?

1 Like

Genius. pure genius.

1 Like

@TudorEynon Could this also work?

I found the 5BX book when I was at school. I tried it but have to admit I didn’t believe it. You couldn’t get fit in 11 minutes!

And back then (1970s), fitness was pretty much for weirdos. (e.g. we’d see a guy going for a run and my mum was exclaim, “There goes a fitness fanatic!” and it always seemed to be a criticism.)

1 Like

When I was young and dumb, after my mandatory military service, I stayed in for a few years. Ours was the “Daily 12” and I still do them occasionally. When the fitness center closed during lockdown, almost daily.

1 Like

I was doing a lot of running and biking in the early ‘80s and a nurse that worked for me said I was “just buying an extra five years in a nursing home”.

3 Likes

Ahhh! thanks. Really interesting too.
It says ‘along with other activities’ and I have never done the ‘scissor’ jumps but the run and walks which you can substitute, which take the time way beyond 11 minutes in truth. It is quite tricky to understand in fact and one needs to read it very carefully.

The real core program is designed to keep you fit in an very limited environment, if you get my drift!
It does also say ‘along with regular activities’ which, I admit is ambiguous and includes suggestions to take stairs two at a time, which I do still. I do other stuff and even a bit of rowing machine and so on, so I can’t personally vouch for it. There was never a period what the 5BX was ALL that I did.

I too find it hard to believe, I think it does work but I am not going to pin my reputation to the claim especially since I have no idea how they arrived at the program :slightly_smiling_face: I have to say I find it more plausible now than I would have a few years ago; it doesn’t take much to turn round some of us.

1 Like

Well you know, all my rugby playing friends and relatives of my age are now walking round stiff legged, while I… I don’t want to tempt fate though, it is all coming down the pike. soreness in my knees takes a lot longer to pass, I am not as agile, not quite and, and…
I am glad I neglected the Rugby though. Some stuff is not so amusing regarding head blows either so I shouldn’t make light maybe.

1 Like

I just read an HBR article where companies now are looking to develop “digital athletes” to help sustain transformations. Finally a term I can confidently claim in the realm of athletics :muscle:t2:

4 Likes

Having started my photography in the SLR days, I just cannot bring myself to use continuous shooting on my DSLRs. It goes against every fibre of my being! But I still way, way prefer DSLR shooting. With the long cycle between shooting and holding the prints in my hand, I never improved much on SLRs. With the short cycle of a DSLR I have improved a lot.

Continuous shooting is great for wildlife, especially bird photography. And for transient phenomena such as the green flash.

And I totally agree about the immediate feedback loop improving my images.

But I have no interest in spending any time in a chemical darkroom. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was able to sell all my darkroom equipment in the late 90s before digital became pervasive. If I had waited a few years I probably couldn’t have given it away.

Continuous shooting is also useful in motorsports.

1 Like