Do you subscribe to news services?

That would be amazing. I wish they would spin off the opinion pieces into a different publication or a clearly separate part of the website.

Another thing that would be interesting is to have source checks on data and that if an experiment/data/ evidence was changed, that it could flag forward to all the articles that reference that data. How do we get closer to the primary source?

NYT
WaPo
LA Times
& since the pandemic started, Pasadena Star-News

When Apple One becomes available I will have Apple News +. I donā€™t right now. So what sort of things can I look forward to? Iā€™ll make the ā€œ2021ā€ joke so you donā€™t have to. :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s a one-month free trial, so itā€™s easy to sign up and figure out if you like News+.

News+ includes a larger selection of newspapers and magazines, and some other content such as Fresh Air from NPR in the U.S., etc.

1 Like

I guess now WOULD be a good time to get access to US newspapers.

If you like opinion opinion opinion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, but THEY (as you manifest Canadian) :slight_smile: can keep the ā€œs***s**wā€. :slight_smile:

If I want news (I.e. WHAT is happening), Iā€™ll generally tend towards BBC.

If I want an opinion, Iā€™ll tend toward the Guardian (Iā€™m quite satisfied with my echo chamber).

3 Likes

The problem with many of the mainstream news outlets like the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, NPR, etc. is that they tell you A story, not THE story. Itā€™s all slanted towards what their subscribers want and expect, otherwise those outlets would lose subscribers and associated revenue. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t subscribe to any of them.

Itā€™s so much more work to get the truth these days, you have to go to the original sources and see or hear them for yourself instead of through a ā€œnewsā€ filter. Two different news sources will have completely different takes and narratives on the same event or story. You end up not knowing what to believe.

3 Likes

This gets to the heart of what people want news FOR. Not necessarily to take action based on objective facts. (This, which is not a criticism of consumers, includes me.)

You must stay very busy attending all those events lie press briefings, committee hearings, protests, etc. being there in person is the only original source. Anything else is filtered through someone. Video and audio gets edited.

I have Ben a reader of the Washington Post for almost 60 years. I have found it to very reliable for hard news coverage. Very rarely are mistakes made and when they happen, they are corrected. You might not agree with the editorial pages but thatā€™s just opinions, not news. Compare that to the defense that Fox News used in the Tucker Carlson defamation case - that no reasonable person would think he was being factual.

1 Like