Does anyone actually use Apple Books?

Amazon accused Apple and five publishers of collusion and ebook price-fixing, and the DOJ sided with Amazon and against Apple. Apple used Agency pricing; this was standard in printed book distribution. Amazon, subsequently, adopted Agency Pricing.

The persons who suffer most are writers, public library patrons, and readers.

Amazon is, in my opinion, bad for publishing including writers. Part of the problem is that publishing is far more complicated as a business model and eco system than outsiders, including the judge, understand, and Apple did a terrible job of explaining things.

I’m biased, but I built a timeline.

3 Likes

I would love to see publishers cut out of the entire ebook process with 100% of ebook sales going to the author as the publisher really doesn’t add anything from my point of view… but I am just a reader so the probable ugliness of that business is unknown to me except when it occasionally leaks out…

I’m a writer, and that’s not true for me. I have a far bigger audience now that I am, effectively, my own publisher.

I can get my books printed and downloaded all around the world, and it costs me very little.

The same with my audiobooks.

1 Like

It’s always good to get a report from someone who deals with Amazon as an author. I’m glad your experience was positive. Some authors have expressed unhappiness with Amazon’s treatment of them and the terms of their payments.

Have you worked with a traditional publisher? I’m curious how that experience compared to publishing with Amazon.

How does the publisher make money then? They’re being paid to help get the author’s book out into the hands of hundreds, thousands, sometimes even millions of people.

The publisher adds a lot. Editing. Copyediting. Proofreading. Book design. Cover design. Typography (yes, even for ebooks), and distribution. You can produce a high-quality self-published books, but it requires not only writing talent, but you will likely have to pay other creatives. And then there’s marketing. The vast majority of self-pub books don’t sell even 2000 copies.

If you add printed books into the mix, the publisher makes a huge difference, because of cost to produce the printed book (POD is not cheap nor is the quality comparable, and the cover price is high) and distribution. WHolesalers and distributors are key to getting books in bookstores. It’s really hard to do it on a large scale with a self-published printed book.

1 Like

Yes, but you are not affected by the DOJ decision, nor by agency pricing. You set your prices.

My point is that the DOJ decision effectively lets Amazon control the ebook market. And they’re not exactly super even to self-published authors. You kinda have to have your ebooks for sale on Amazon. That is, with rare exceptions for certain niche markets, where most sales will happen.

It is quite possible to have a stellar self-published experience. But not everyone wants to be responsible for writing, editing, design, production, distribution and marketing. Moreover Amazon is not great about dealing with fake reviews, or plagiarism.

I’ve done trade publishing and self-publishing. I like both. I’ve also done scholarly publishing, where the purpose is to make a book that libraries will buy.

I also worked at The Voyager Company, where we gave authors 40% of the cover price for ebboks (not net, not held against returns).

Mostly I wish that there was a really high-quality ebook reader that was multi-format, and that had all the features of the better .pdf readers. I also wish that DRM wasn’t a part of the process.

Physical books maybe, but ebooks are just an upload away on Amazon from reaching hundreds of thousands of people…

I am speaking about authors that wanted to self publish. Amazon presents an option that allows one to avoid the big publishers. Michael J Sullivan is a good example of someone that is doing it successfully (Kickstarting his books, then printing, publishing). The talent of the author is the biggest factor in success, which is how it should be.

It would be very nice, but it’s not realistic. Publishers add the marketing machine. That’s the whole advantage of record labels, film distributors, and book publishers → They move product; hopefully, in great quantities. Bands love 360 deals to cut out labels, which work great while they are young and on tour. As soon as they need passive income, nothing beats the record label. Publishing works similarly.

Had I read @Medievalist’s posts before this, I might have omitted adding these words. Good explanation there.

1 Like

His own bio on Amazon says his wife handles his business for him. My guess would be that that entails hiring freelancers to do all the work a publisher would do.

3 Likes

yes, but for some, paying a wife and son to handle this stuff (keeping the $$ in the family) is better than paying others… his family handles all of the book printing coordination too. He has a couple of proofreaders I believe he pays, but thats it. he has no need of publishers.

I think that’s great, sincerely, and I would never tell you that every book published should go through a traditional publisher.

But as someone who has worked in various types of publishing for many years — and who has had friends ask for (free) editing, copyediting, and marketing help as they try to get “self-published” via Amazon — I can tell you this guy is an extreme outlier.

He married a person who is good at running the business of a self-published author. No matter how good he is, I would argue that his success is entirely the result of who he married, not his talent.

Again, from his own bio:

“When Michael refused to jump back onto the query-go-round, Robin took over the publication tasks, and she has run the business side of his writing ever since.”

She doesn’t just run his business — she dragged him into it! That’s a one-in-a-billion success story and certainly not an argument for getting rid of publishing houses, however unseemly they are.

5 Likes

Yeah, me too. It’s not Kindle I dislike so much but the mechanism for getting library books onto the Kindle is very clunky.

1 Like

This is good information but, as you pointed out, the target keeps moving. Even the author says “How long this code will work is anyone’s guess”. Maybe I’ll give it another try, though. Thanks.

any road blocks are temporary… all DRM gets cracked eventually. Dr. Malcolm sums it up.

3 Likes

Here’s a youtube link if you’re having trouble seeing the clip

The change in conversation has been interesting. My wife and I own a small traditional publishing company. And, before you jump one way or another, we’ll be closing the extended publishing part this year after more that 15 years of being in business. Why? Well, for a publisher that assumes all of the financial risks, all of the editing, designing, and a lower profit to give back to the authors that put forth much effort in writing good stories, the model isn’t working these days.

For those that think the app stores requesting 30% is ridiculous, try getting paperback books into book stores. They would like a 55% discount off the cover price. That means the most profit you could make on a print book is 45% of the cover price. But wait, there are printing costs, distribution costs, and shipping costs. For a book that costs $15 in print, you are down to about $3 per book sold if you are lucky. If we even split the “profit” for a book 50/50 between us and the author, we each get $1.50 per book. We had more favorable terms for the authors. So, it would take many sales to pay for graphics, ISBNs, editing, marketing, and so forth. We did well with some titles, but others, not so much.

With digital books, Amazon asks if you would like to vary prices to their liking with a higher profit margin. While this usually works out well, the profit is still lower. Since the different companies can not decide on format, you then need to adjust the files for the different platforms. This requires more editing if you want to maintain a great experience for your readers on the different platforms.

Many authors do not have the skills the individuals of this great group have and they can not format a book well, include a table of contents, or design a cover that reflects the content and doesn’t infringe on the copyright of others. I am not saying all authors, just many. It takes time to do these things and align it to the requirements of each distribution provider. We did it to help those that had good stories share it with others.

The story itself was not enough most of the times. The authors needed to be willing to get out there and do what Robin did for Michael Sullivan, market the book and encourage more stories to be told. We interviewed Robin and Michael around the time they released his first three books. Robin was a driving force that believed in the stories and helped every step of the way. Michael wrote the stories for his family. If I remember correctly, they did not publish the books until Michael had written all in the first series. They have done well because they had drive and a good story. We’ve followed them for many years. It has been great to see them where they are now.

If you have a story to tell, there are so many opportunities to share. Self-publishing is definitely an option, especially for new authors. Get those first few books out of the way before searching for a publisher so you can get some feedback from your readers. Attend conferences, post your work in online forums, engage your audience whenever possible. You need to be as passionate about sharing your work as you are about telling the story in the first place.

I know many of you may have had other experiences, so no worries. I just wanted to share part of our story.

And, to tie this back to the original topic, I have many books in Apple Books. Some were imported from other sources and some purchased through Apple. If we want to share books, we sometimes use Amazon since I can share the books with my wife. Apple has some good sales on books at times. That is when we purchase directly from Apple.

I apologize for the long post. I guess I had to just get it out of my system. Thank you for reading…hopefully…:slight_smile:

17 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing your insights. :grinning:

1 Like