Does anyone use ScanSnap Home software?

Keep in mind that ScanSnap manager still works in Mojave. So there is still a year in which to complain before you are stuck with the ScanSnap Home.

I can address 5.a, b, and c.

5.a. and b. You “sign out” on the old computer first. If you don’t you can file a ticket with Fujitsu support and they will reset it for you. Note that there is no provision for borrowing the scanner – you may be restricted from signing back in on the original computer.

9932A69E-B77F-4CD8-8FFD-B0B12EDB6617
5.c. Easy – see above. Attaching the license to the new computer is automatic – you don’t even realize there is a license until you try to add a second computer.

If you want to be able to sign in on multiple computers you would need to buy a license, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do so for the iX500, just the iX1500 (which comes with a 5 computer license).

I agree. I am looking at a replacement unit for my ScanSnap S1300. The ADF [Auto Document Feeder] switch does not know when the last page goes thru. I need to tap the cover to release the switch. I do not need a $450+ unit. As of now, I scan about 3-5 pages per week. I purchased my S1300 in June 2012. I attempted to check the page count but … the software would not load due to I am running High Sierra version 10.13.6.

I thinking the unit [S1300] may need to be retired. So I am checking Canon, Epson, and Brother units. Maybe another Fujitsu unit, but I need the scanner to be accessed by all hardware.

Interesting discussion, thanks both. As ScanSnapManager is working OK on Mojave at the moment I think I will hold off on any upgrade to Home for the time being. There does not seem to be any big advantage and possibly licence hassle which i could do without!

Is the new ScanSnap Home better than ScanSnap Manager? I have a ton of ScnaSnap apps on my MBP that I have no clue as to what they do.

I had to fresh install my mac and was directed by Fujitsu’s support site to the Scansnap Home software. I’m digging around here for solutions, since it is not obvious where my documents are being stored, whether they are OCR’d, and how to get specific profiles to save directly to Dropbox

Simply put: the Home app is messing up all my workflows without obvious solutions. I’ll have to tinker to see what I can do.

I would hold off upgrading until you MUST if you have extensive workflows already built to incorporate your scans.

Quick Scansnap Home Lesson. From the Scan window press the button outlined:
9B16CA36-7F17-4B53-BA32-B64073AF804F
From here you can adjust everything for the profile. The button (above) with the + sign in the circle lets you create new profiles. Anyway:
35C9252B-EB64-4F57-9DE7-48F52F0DADD9

The top row selects the profile to edit. Document type detection either lets it guess or you can specify a specific type (document, business card, receipt, or photo). If it is automatic the scan settings will have tabs for all four types, otherwise there will be settings only for the selected type.

You can make basic changes to the settings here, or press Detailed settings:

8BC36204-794D-4ADE-8AB2-D0BB07F67F6E

from here you can set how the title is set, select the file format (including enabling OCR – “Convert to Searchable PDF”) adjust all the scanning features and the file size. Basically everything you could do with ScanSnap manager.

Back on the previous window, under the Scan settings, you can select a tag to add (I guess for the ScanSnap Home file manager), Feed settings (feed the entire document at a time or wait for more pages), the destination folder and “Application”. They provide three choices, “None” where the scanning gives no feedback, “Verify and save” which puts up a window just like ScanSnap Manager did showing the document and letting you select a different destination and name, “Scan to E-Mail”, and the ability to add any application that can accept a document (ScanSnap Manager did the same).

In my case, a few changes to the “Auto Scan” did everything I needed and now I don’t have to worry that I have selected the right scan type (in my case Receipt or Document) prior to hitting the scan button.

2 Likes

I guess I’m “fortunate” that my old workhorse 2011 MBP won’t run Mojave (or, presumably, next year’s macOS), hence won’t ever require 64-bit software. I suppose Fujitsu is hoping to squeeze revenue out of business teams and families who want to share a scanner by forcing them to buy multiple software licenses. Dick move.

3 Likes

See https://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/faq/ssh-inst02.html regarding the licensing issue. I haven’t updated yet but it seems that this is a login issue and not really limited to one license.

@StephenL - Technically correct, thank you, but the entire sign-in/account creation/license requirement is a needless complication for most of us, or at least many of us. We just want our bought-and-paid-for scanners to scan documents into a computer - or multiple computers - without a the hassle of another cloud account, sign-in, licenses, etc.

Someone please remind me exactly what was the problem that the new ScanSnap Home was supposed to solve? Oh right - the 64-bit requirement. Unfortunately Fujitsu has gone far beyond that and has now created other problems for formerly satisfied users. @Eurobubba is correct - Fujitsu’s changes leave the impression of a revenue squeeze.

User @Brisbane in another thread on this forum kindly provided a weblink to VueScan software that provides drivers for thousands of scanners, including the ScanSnap scanners that have been “obsoleted” by Fujitsu. Here is link to VueScan, provided by @Brisbane: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/fujitsu.html#scanner-drivers

Link to the MPU forum thread in which the VueScan driver is mentioned: https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/64-bit-fujitsu-scansnap-app-finally-out/9769/19

Being lazy here - I have an (old) S1300i in my office & deciding what to do for my mobile office- be interested to know what folks experience is with non Fujitsu scanners…
(I say mobile - it doesn’t have to be amazingly portable & I was going to do same again to get duplex…)
TIA

2 Likes

I’ve seen that page before, and it didn’t help me at all. I had Mojave beta on an external drive and installed ScanSnap Home on that. When I went to upgrade the same computer to Mojave, ScanSnap Home would not install and gave that message. I contacted Fujitsu and they said I had to “uninistall” on the external to install and license on the internal drive. For those thinking of moving between systems by just doing uninstalls and reinstalls, it won’t work because they only allow a limited number of system changes.

The problem would be fixed if they just sold extra licenses for these models.

Do you have to create an account to use the new ScanSnap Home?

When I tried it, I was able to scan without creating an account, but I’ve only tried it for a short time. If you could scan without creating an account, would that allow the hardware to be used on more than one Mac?

1 Like

This new software is awful, I changed Macs and downloaded it. Not at all intuitive. Does anyone know of an alternative ? I am also having trouble locating and installing the original Scanmanager.

3 Likes

Here is a link to the “old” ScanSnap Manager:
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/faq/hsierra004.html
There is no telling how long this will be available. It would be wise to download the appropriate files right away, then keep backups.
Follow the instructions in the “Workaround” section. Short version: download and install the .dmg file for V6.3L50. Then same for the update V6.3L61, then update for V6.3L70. You can ignore the language files if you don’t need them.
You did not specify which version of ScanSnap you have. It is my understanding that this version will work for several models, including the “obsolete” S1500M and other non-obsolete and obsolete models.
If you are using macOS Mojave, you might see a warning about incompatible software since the software is 32-bit. Ignore the warning, just plow on through. Apple has declared that future versions of macOS will not support 32-bit software.

Re: alternative software, VueScan and Exact Scan have been mentioned in this forum. There have been so many Fujitsu-related threads that I can’t remember where these were mentioned - just do a search. Both appear to be quality software.

Hope this helps. We Fujitsu orphans - oops, owners need a support group.

Edited: Just found the link to Vue Scan: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/fujitsu.html
And Exact Scan: http://exactscan.com

I have now updated to ScanSnap Home and have to say that all seems OK. There are a couple of niggles:

1. the function to scan directly to Evernote is gone - this is a pain for me as I am a heavy user of Evernote
  2. the profiles do not migrate over, they have to be set up again from scratch

Apart from the above point, all seems OK at the moment.

Greetings. Came across this thread as I was researching the warnings popped up on Mojave by SS Manager.

Just archived all the latest installers/updates just in case. Human nature hates change even if it is potentially good change. That said, it does often feel like software/product teams really do a terrible job of major forced upgrades…so I am wary to try the new software until I am forced to. At some point I will test this for myself…but questions for those of you who have gone through the process…

• If you use the offline installer for Fujitsu home…does it force you to sign-in or create any type of account?
  • If you don’t have to create and account or sign-in…do you still have any issue using the scanner with multiple computers? ie…is scansnap sending your scanner serial number to their servers in the background in order to validate/“license” your install of ScanSnap Home?

I am hoping that they don’t require an account or sign-in. I hate how every company wants to have a cloud service even when it isn’t necessary, helpful or appropriate for their product. My personal data is abused enough as is.

So hoping the account/sign-in is optional and not messing with it avoids having any of these problems with the new software.

If they are doing something more nefarious (like using your serial number in the background)…then I imagine they will run into issues pretty quickly due to the recent EU privacy legislation. Changing the terms of use of the product…ie you must send personally identifiable data like a serial number to their servers in order to continue to use the product seems like a pretty big deal.

Hoping that it really just comes down to stupid user experience with their new software…avoid creating and account or signing in. Then we just have to deal with whether the same feature set is available and whether the user experience for our personal workflows is different or more painful. Hopefully not.

I’ll post a review of my new Brother scanner, bought to replace my aging S510M, as soon as it arrives on Tuesday and I get it installed and tested.

2 Likes

The license can be activated without setting up an account (or sign in) but you provide the serial number for the printer – the software verifies the printer matches the serial number and it “phones home” to make sure the serial number is not already in use.

There is a revised (12/2018) EULA that attempts to clarify the license issue. I quote:

1. Until You register a Scan Snap account, You may install and use the Software on any one (1) computer, tablet or other mobile device at a time. Installing, copying or sharing (or permitting the installation, copying or sharing) of the Software on more than one computer or other device is strictly prohibited and a material breach of this EULA. Once You register a Scan Snap account, You may install and use the Software on up to five (5) computers or devices in total. Details for Scan Snap account registration will be shown after You installed the Software.
  2. If the Product which You purchased is “ScanSnap iX1500” model, You may share and use the Product with up to four (4) users including You. If the Product which You purchased is any model other than “ScanSnap iX1500”, You may use the Product by yourself only, and shall not share the Product with any other person.

However the mention of 5 computers seems to be in error, I think that only applies to the iX1500. The documentation has plenty of confusing statements about the license, mostly a matter of being in fractured English.

Here’s the Account page in ScanSnap Home Preferences:

It shows that I’m licensed without an account. But the note at the bottom says that if I log in I can use it on multiple computers, which I’ve found (and a call to Fujitsu confirmed) is not the case.

1 Like

@tomalmy - Thank you for your post; it adds useful information to the Fujitsu licensing issue.

There is simply no good reason to require internet access to “phone home” to Fujitsu’s website or to limit the number of computers allowed to use a high-cost scanner.

Over the past 6 years my ScanSnap S1500M has been used on at least 6 iMac and MacBook computers. Even this simple non-business use exceeded the meager allowance in the new Fujitsu license.

One of my use cases involved taking the scanner and a MacBook computer on frequent 10-hour car trips when visiting my elderly mother. I scanned her pertinent documents (bills, bank/credit card statements, trust documents, tax documents, contacts info, etc.) to PDF files stored in Dropbox. This enabled me to completely handle her financial and legal affairs during her lifetime and after her death in late 2017.

It would have been difficult or impossible to do this if Fujitsu’s restrictive policy had been in place. There was no internet access in my mother’s home to access Fujitsu’s website to “activate” or “transfer” a license. In the last 2 or 3 years my iPhone could be used as a hotspot for the MacBook, but that would have been an unnecessary hassle. For the first few years that I owned the ScanSnap I used an Android phone. At that time Verizon would not allow use of the phone as a wifi hotspot without an additional charge or a higher-cost cellular plan.

If Fujitsu continues use of its current software license policy, my days using ScanSnap scanners are over. Prospective ScanSnap purchasers should be warned of the use limitations imposed by Fujitsu and of the ambiguities kindly pointed out by @tomalmy.

Are they trying to create a world where you don’t even own your own hardware, just license it? Dick move if you ask me.

3 Likes