DOJ sues Apple over iPhone monopoly

So what’s the point of the case? On a broad level, the short story is that Apple used to be wondrous. But monopoly power, as it turns out, has poisoned the firm. Once a great innovator, Apple has decayed, moving away from its roots as a competitive technology firm, and spending its resources making it harder and harder for consumers and businesses to get out of the Apple ecosystem, and then trying to extend that ecosystem from smartphones into cars, business software, and banks. Apple has become a dangerous corporation, with designs on imposing an authoritarian vision over as much of the economy as it can get away with.

In other words, the broad allegation is about how power corrupts. The complaint may be about technology, but the story here is as old as time. Let’s dive in.

The last reason to care is that, if this monopolization continues, we are handing over the future to Apple, and not just in smartphones. Using its position as the gatekeeper that lives in the pockets of a billion people, that corporation is entering the financial services, fitness, gaming, social media, news media, entertainment, and automotive markets, “often by doing so in exclusionary ways that further reinforce and deepen the competitive moat around the iPhone.”

For instance, the iPhone is now a wallet, with $200 billion of transactions done via ‘tap to pay’ in 2022 alone, according to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Importantly, the tap-to-pay feature uses a standard near-field communication chip, but Apple Pay is the only app on the iPhone allowed to use tap-to-pay. This exclusionary behavior is intentional, as “Apple envisions that Apple Wallet will ultimately supplant multiple functions of physical wallets to become a single app for shopping, digital keys, transit, identification, travel, entertainment, and more,” and that it will contribute to the stickiness of the Apple ecosystem. (It’s also profitable, Apple already takes a fee of .15% from banks for every transaction that goes over the tap-to-pay on its iPhone.)

“We have been in discussions with gatekeepers for months to help them adapt . . . “

1 Like

I can’t disagree more. Apple is the ONLY company out there that seems to care about user privacy and security.

One of the best examples is Apple Pay is how it’s open, not closed, to numerous financial institutions. You are not limited to the Apple credit card or Apple Cash. Yet, when you use it, your personally identifiable information is protected. The place you use Apple Pay doesn’t get your name or anything else - other than what it needs to make the purchase. But - THIS is why people who don’t like that - advertisers, retail shops, etc that take and sell your data, want to disrupt it. And the fee? EVERYONE pays a fee to use a credit card. There are processor charges places that accept cards pay that are a LOT more than what Apple charges.

I’d argue that overall, it’s no more difficult leaving the Apple ecosystem than it was upgrading from one phone to another when PDA Phones first became a thing.

Much of what I’ve read about the DOJ is simple minded people who fail to understand technology, trying to influence it to what competitors of Apple have been lobbying for. It’s been happening in the the EU. And now they want to bring it to the States. Spotify for one - what a joke THAT company is

1 Like

Yes, Apple cares about privacy and security but they are not the only company. Large corporations, banks, health care providers, and governments, etc. do business with many other companies. And many/most of those companies have to comply with all kinds of regulations around the world.

1 Like

This seems to be the case for more than Apple Pay.

See: Digital wallets and the “only Apple Pay does this” mythology

2 Likes

I get that. But as someone in healthcare IT, caring about it and executing are two different things. The best security is expensive and impedes work. There’s a balance. Just look at what happened with Change Healthcare and the downstream impact.

In a way, you help make my point. There are other options. So Apple doesn’t have a corner on the market. You are not limited to only using Apple Wallet to pay for things electronically.

2 Likes

Hey - thanks for posting that link. Great read. What I got out of it was it’s mainly about web based transactions. When you buy over the web, the merchant needs to know where to send the product. Makes sense.

You can get a DPAN number to use from some credit card companies. One I use has a thing where you can get a one time web purchase number. It’s not automatic. Not sure how prevalent that is.

I’m mainly talking about when you go to a brick and mortar store and use a physical card. I’ve seen the difference in what pops up on the screen. It was when Apple Pay first came out, so not sure if others have adopted and who they may be.

I’m a strong believer in what Apple has done with the secure enclave. It’s not infallible, but it’s the best option I’ve come across out there. Limiting access from third party apps to the secure enclave is not a monopoly, but a security feature.

Lastly - I’ll add my main comparisons are with Android based products. I don’t trust them and would not do financial transactions on them. Understand there may be some droid products out there that may be trusted more than others. But…

Credit Card transactions are governed by PCI (Payment Card Industry Compliance). But like other regs, not everyone implements them well. One of the things I see on a continuous basis from a service providing me dark web data breach notifications on is LOTS of credit cards for sale. They are a lot more common than login id/password breaches.

I understand how Apple Pay can prevent a merchant from knowing who you are. As long as you do not use the merchant’s loyalty card and/or app, and turn off bluetooth on your phone before entering the store. And the fines the FCC just hit T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T with actually stops them from selling our location data. :wink:

1 Like