Dropbox versus iCloud

Well I had to turn off iCloud altogether, reboot, turn it back on, and after about 15 minutes the empty iCloud Drive folder started filling up. Ulysses still wasn’t working though when I left the office… I think I’m gonna stick with Dropbox for the time being for most purposes.

I find that OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox are all very similar in what they feature with the exception of versioning in Dropbox if you opt for that.

iCloud is a bit different. First of all, it is obviously optimized for the Apple ecosystem although you can install it on a Windows PC or access it via the web.

However with that said, I find a lot of things seem to use iCloud in the background. It’s nice that I can continue working on an app I was working on on my iPad when I get to my Mac and all my devices are synced with the same data…but that is only made possible because it is all syncing through iCloud.

From my experience, I see iCloud as kind of two services in one. First, their is just the plain iCloud which my systems use to sync data and photos between devices.

Then there is iCloud Drive which seems to function a bit more like the other file sharing services. I can drag and drop files I want to save there as I choose rather than as the systems choose.

I can access all of them through the Files app, but the stuff in iCloud I don’t really understand. Why do I have a folder for Pages? I have never used Pages and iCloud just has this empty folder there. Why??? Same with a few other applications.

iCloud is getting better and eventually I will move to it fully. For right now I will hang on to my tried and true Dropbox account. I just let Office 365 use my OneDrive account. If it wasn’t included in the subscription I wouldn’t subscribe to it, but since it is the Microsoft Office files can all live in there.

I guess you’ve put your finger on it then, you’ve actually read the T&C’s. That’s better than me, and obviously better than the plaintiffs you mention. Guess we’ll have to wait and see what decision comes down?

No native end to end encryption? Not for my data.

I don’t think you have to read the T’s & C’s to know that. They’ve openly talked about much of this. I remember when they talked about iTunes being run on Azure years ago.