Dropbox vs Google Drive vs Box vs?

The online versions are basically light versions and lack full functionality, Your average person might not even notice a difference though. They are much better for collaboration (which does not work well in the desktop version).

1 Like

Unless I am collaborating with someone I send a document to, I never ever send source code (Word DOC, Word DOX, Pages, etc.). I always send PDF so that I (me) can control the quality of the document, not the other person(s).

2 Likes

Same, but in many cases a .doc/.xls file is preferred, if not required. School work is where I had an issue, but in my experience most places want resumes in .doc format as well.

Well, if a requirement that is something different.

And then the receivers have no right to complain about formatting that they control and the sender cannot complain if the contents are said to change.

When I took some college classes as an adult, I didnā€™t want to pay for Word (or deal with it) so I wrote a paper in Pages. Formatting for this professor was very important. I saved it a .doc, sent in and soon found out some of my formatting was changed in the conversion. Luckily, I told her why it was wrong and she told me Word was free for students, so I got it, and fixed it. Itā€™s probably not relevant for most people here, just something to keep in mind.

2 Likes

If you need to exchange MS Office documents with other people, you need MS Office. I havenā€™t found any other word processor thatā€™s 100% compatible with Word, and Iā€™m not taking chances with Excel or PowerPoint files, either. That was the number one reason I gave up on trying to use desktop Linux as my main OS.

2 Likes

Neither have I. In fact there was a time when the current version of MS Word couldnā€™t open files created in much older versions. OTOH I never had a problem exchanging simple spreadsheets (add, subtract, multiply, divide, and link) between MS Excel and OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

Today if I needed MS Word for a simple document I could use the online version in my free Outlook.com account.

Unfortunately, I didnā€™t find the browser-based version of MS Office an adequate replacement for the locally installed apps for my purposes, but theyā€™re probably fine for casual/occasional use.

1 Like

I used pCloud and was happy with it for a number of years as it was the best option for linux, which was my main desktop OS until I switched to an M1 Air as my primary machine. pCloud at the time did not support M1 even though they said on their site they did. I opened a support ticket and at first was thrilled that the dev replied fairly quickly (within a week) with a development build to try. It didnā€™t work either. A couple more tries and it never did work and I was irked that by then they specifically said on their website they DID support Apple Silicon which was not true. I eventually gave up on them.

+1 sync.com. Beyond being a little slower, the security is top tier, and itā€™s worked very well for me.

1 Like

I agree. The only downside Iā€™ve found is the lack of a Linux app, which isnā€™t likely to be an issue for most people in this forum.