Easier way to block a contact on iOS?

I’m getting an annoying amount of spam text messages. I realize they’re not coming from actual numbers - or at least not from the number they claim to be from - but it satisfies me in some petty way to block the number anyway. The problem is, it takes ELEVEN clicks to block a number and then delete the message.

But maybe I’m missing something. Is there a way to block a number right from the messages app? Or do I really have to click through to the number, get the info, block, confirm, etc.?

If you are getting SMS spam you can report it to your carrier. For example on AT&T you forward it to 7726 and then report the number when requested. If the messages are data and the sender is changing his number with each message there is little you can do. IMO.

I filter messages from unknown senders. If they aren’t in my contact list I’m not notified when they arrive and I look through the list from time to time to make sure I’ve not missed a legitimate message. (Before turning this feature on I made a list of the numbers used by my bank, etc. for notifications, 2 Factor codes, etc.)

So I have contacts like ATT Notice, Bank Notice, etc. with 4 and 5 digit “phone numbers” so I still get notices when logging in and when my credit cards, etc. are used. Not perfect but it works for me.

You might want to check out the Hiya app to see if it meets your needs.

1. You can click on the sender on top of the message.
  2. Click on the „Info“ on the right
  3. Click on the „Blocking“- Button
  4. Confirm blocking
  5. Go back onto the overview
  6. delete the messages with a left swipe
  7. and a click on delete
  8. confirm it.

So I saved three clicks…:grinning:

2 Likes

I’ll take a 3-click savings! LOL!

1 Like

Thanks - I hadn’t heard of that, so I’ll check it out.

Thanks for the link. I was trying to avoid filtering, because I do sometimes get messages from people I don’t know but still need to see. I’ll take a look at that article though and see how I might be able to make that work.

1 Like