Edge case network workflow - need help!

Hi everyone. Given the nature of this problem I’m trying to solve, I couldn’t think of a better group of people to ask than MacPowerUser listeners.

At work I have my MacBook Air (running Ventura) connected to both ethernet and wifi networks. The ethernet is required for access to certain work applications, and needs to be given sort order priority between the two networks for me to access those applications.

My issue is that the ethernet network has fairly aggressive website filtering in place, meaning that access is blocked to a variety of applications/websites, but in particular Discord and Mastadon (but oddly not Slack or Twitter). The wifi network I have access to is more permissive and does allow access to these sites and services.

I have tried to search (in vain) for a way to tell my computer to use the ethernet for the work applications (and then move the wifi network to the higher sort order), or to have my Mac use the wifi for those services that would otherwise be blocked. I found some older items online, but when they started going through network tables in terminal I got a little hesitant.

One important thing to note is that I can’t control anything about either network itself. Any tweaking has to be on my device only.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and let me know if I’m missing any information you need to give me some direction.

There’s a terminal command to reorder interfaces:

networksetup -ordernetworkservices <service1> <service2> <service3> <...>

ref

Otherwise, static routes might be the only way to go. When doing so, it might be easier to have Wi-Fi be the default, and set up static routes to your company’s up range.
script here

Or just use your phone :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @JohnAtl I’ll check out the static route option. I can reorder the services in the Network Services section of System Settings, but once I have the ethernet as the top option, I can’t access the blocked sites/services.

I agree and as much as I hate static routes, I think that’s probably the best thing to do: Static routes to you work network(s) through your ethernet interface and a default route through your WiFi interface.

Thanks for the extra vote. I’ll see what I can do to try this in a couple of weeks. I’m supposed to be beta testing a new device management system for BYOD users at work soon and if that doesn’t yield a usable result I’ll try to set up the static route as recommended.

1 Like