Either doing something right or things are falling through the cracks - weekly inbox Zero

A bit more on topic: I only receive essential email, and that really helps achieve Inbox Zero.

My work doesn’t have a strong email culture among staff. My boss refuses to send any and always calls or occasionally uses Teams. We normally resolve any problem in a couple of mins on the phone, much better than exchanging a dozen emails! I manage all my teams using Basecamp and never get any emails from them.

So, my emails are all students and clients, which are normally quick response or actions. Plus, they’re the ones that I really need to be responsive to, being quick to reply makes them happier and helps my reputation where it matters.

I hit it more than not, but all attempts to hit it every day/have a downloading/wind down phase in the final 30 minutes of my work never stick. Work noise takes over. Or, I leave my desk thinking I’ll come back and do it. To then not.

For me, Inbox Zero means achieving it in three places:

1. OmniFocus
  2. Verse = work email
  3. gmail = personal

I should include Evernote in this but I don’t as I keep a lot of drafts in my Inbox there.

More discipline required!

Very occasionally I will hit inbox zero for personal emails. I could/should probably hit it more often.

At work I will never hit inbox zero. With the exception of a few automated email types, everything arrives in my inbox and leaves a year later through automatic archiving. Read/unread status rules the roost. Unread means it can’t be forgotten yet. Lately that’s been up to 50 emails but normally it hovers around 10-20. This works well for me because the only thing I ever have to worry about is when to mark as read. I do use the ‘unread only’ filter as my daily view.

I started reading this thread thinking I’d be jealous of y’all, but you’re only talking about email! How effortlessly does everyone in this thread reach inbox zero in the following? (Whatever is applicable)

• task management apps
  • notes
  • Slack/Discord teams
  • this forum
  • social networks
  • reading lists
  • RSS feeds
  • messages/WhatsApp/other DMs
  • physical inboxes

Before you answer: I no longer think getting these to “zero” is the point. It was originally (see Merlin Mann’s original Google TechTalks on the subject), but Merlin reframed the issue in recent years.

Nowadays he seems to argue that Inbox Zero actually means striving to spend zero time in your inbox(es).

So, I have been trying to relax about my inboxes. I try to treat them less as a stock that can be emptied and more as streams that I should participate in.

The streams metaphor is particularly poignant when you consider actually trying to catch everything coming through a physical stream. It’s impossible! Just try to catch the interesting and important stuff, and try to let the rest go.

Nonetheless, email is still the hardest one to let go of. I’m thinking about applying some of the Hey.com principles to my own email set up. To this end, GitHub user stefan736 crafted a set of instructions for FastMail that should apply to other email services/apps, too.

1 Like

“Inbox Zero” in RSS feeds? I doubt will ever achieve that, because ‘Mark All as Read’ is one button that scares me. I set article as unread by opening it and skim a little if slightly interesting.

Back to topic. I sport 1 GSuite(office), 2 Personal Gmails and 1 Personal Domain.

Previously, for each of the personal addresses I created 3 more mailboxes: Files & Licenses, Subscriptions and Receipts. Other non-classifiable mails either stay in Inbox or go straight to Trash.

Last month, I want to try ‘Inbox Zero’, in which all processed mails go archived. It works well with the personal domain (currently Fastmail), but Gmail has its own opinion for what ‘Archive’ mailbox is. I disagree with Gmail’s opinion.

So I created 1 more mailbox (or ‘Label’ as Gmail calls them) named ‘Archived Mail’ and set Apple Mail to set it as Archive Mailbox.

Every weekend, I will backup the mails in Inbox to EagleFiler as .eml file, then classify or archive them.

Before striving for “inbox zero” or any related state in other apps, consider this: why do you need to achieve it?

If it’s because you read somewhere that it’s “the right thing” to do… smart people work out what their problems actually are before trying to solve them. Having 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 emails in your inbox isn’t a problem in itself.

If it’s because you need to solve an identified problem (missed emails, responses too late etc) then go for it, but know that emptying your inbox still isn’t the goal.

It may be helpful for me to clarify something. I am not striving to get to inbox zero. I see no value in such a goal.

But, I think that our inboxes can be reflective of an efficient workflow or an inefficient one. I say can because some prefer to keep emails in the inbox for a variety of reasons. However, I have seen inboxes with a massive number of emails in them, in more extreme cases, tens of thousands. I also know a lot of people who are late in responding to emails or never bother to respond to them at all. I consider late to be more than 24 hours during the workweek.

For me, a “clean” inbox indicates that I have responded in a timely fashion to all emails, have largely eliminated spam, and that I am “on top of things.” That is the goal, not inbox zero.

6 Likes

This is me. It’s similar to leaving the office with a clean desk and an empty inbox.

At the same time, I don’t worry about clearing the decks in Read Laters, Evernote, RSS, Social Media, or much of anything else anymore. Got tired of fiddling.

3 Likes

I’m exactly the same. I have a physical inbox and email and clearing them each day makes me feel that I’ve no pending issues to deal with. I also have my tasks inbox, but that’s normally empty as I assign dates immediately when creating tasks. Basecamp is great as usually my teams members reply to other staff members, and I normally only have to deal with 1-2 issues a week max, this helps reduce my workload significantly. Aside from these I have no other inboxes at all, I don’t do social media and I refuse to use more apps that need my attention regularly.

I used to have a 48hr response time, and often I’d be too late responding to important emails, and this was bad for my reputation. I now frequently get told about colleagues “who ignore their students”, referring to people who don’t respond quickly. This is usually from the students themselves.

I’ve been trying to achieve GTD for years to reduce stress, and it really does work. Now, I never think about work when with family. When I had lots of pending emails left unanswered that was not the case, as I’d frequently remember important people I needed to respond to even when not working - my mind wasn’t at rest like it is now. I recommend everyone should at least try it for a while.

1 Like

Same for me. Inbox Zero, across my three mentioned apps, means I’ve dealt with all things pending/unprocessed. Nothing hangs over me or risks getting forgotten. It’s either done, deleted, or the next action is defined and stored in a system I trust.

After lots of experimenting it’s one of the better techniques for the way I work. Appreciating it’s not for everyone. There is no one-size fits all.

3 Likes

My approach: just don’t care about “inbox zero” with many of them. “Inbox Zero” is, in my opinion, a dogmatic concept that doesn’t always add any value or meaning, but effort.

Examples from your list

• RSS feeds: sometimes I browse to them, sometimes they pile up. When I didn’t find any time (sometimes a whole week), I just mark all as read. Absolutely no FOMO.
  • “this forum” (and 2 other I follow): sometimes I have time, sometimes not. I just click on “mark all read” and am done with it.
  • social networks: absolutely no value for me, I left all of them. If I would still be using FB or else, I would just go through current stuff. A lot of shared links, meaningless photos, etc. Why worry?
  • others: I don’t feel the need or stress to answer everything immediately. If I miss a DM, people will follow up if it was important
  • crucial: email (see my thoughts on that above - reduction!), task management, project management, invoice software (I just start my day with it)
4 Likes

Several of these (RSS feeds and read later apps, for instance), I view as “idea Netflix”. I’m interested in too many things for my own good and sometimes story ideas come from the most unexpected directions (something seen in a store, a line in an article, etc) so I capture like crazy, but with the clear contract that I’m not supposed to read everything. (If something has to be read, it’s a task that goes in OmniFocus)
So I view these not as inboxes but as Netflix: I’m not supposed to watch everything in there, only what catches my fancy in a given moment. And it’s fine.

A question for you email inbox zero ninjas: some of you have answered already in part but I’m curious in general - do you apply the meticulous workflow of sending messages to your task manager to come back to later, or do you find that it’s a waste of time and dealing with stuff in the inbox is enough, through deliberate habit and time?

2 Likes

I’m no ninja but I do not waste time clearing out my email inbox by sending emails to my task manager (OF) inbox to remind me to process them later. I see no value in such a process.

I process my emails in my email client (Apple Mail). I only send an email to OF (by bccing to OF) when I have assigned a task to someone by email. I then tag that email in OF with that person’s name + a “Waiting For” tag. That ensures my follow-up and his or her accountability. Prior to meeting with members of my SLT, I prepare an agenda, part of which includes items delegated in OF for that team member.

1 Like

Similar to @Bmosbacker, I process it in the inbox. For email that means: do action, reply, and/or file. If further actions are required, I log the actions in OmniFocus. Work and home mail are setup with folders that loosely mirror OF. Moving things around doesn’t appeal/work for me. The context sets where it goes in each app.

Handily, Verse lets me add a follow-up flag/reminder to track if I sent something depending on a reply. If the sent email is a dependancy and/or delegating something, I might add a task in OF to track it in the wider context of the work/project it is related to. That’s rare and on a case by case basis.

Snooze in gmail lets me do similar, super rare for non-work tasks.

1 Like

I would hate that myself. I much prefer email to phone conversations. My reason is that often times the people I am dealing with are scattered across 2 countries and a bunch of timezones. We are all farmers and the needs of the farm and animals are not easy to schedule. The problems and questions are dealt with by me asynchronously via email whereas with a phone conversation I’d have to take copious notes, then revisit it all when I am at my computer and could look up stuff. In many cases the issues involve pedigreees or details about registered sheep and the exact spelling of the name is critical to get the right animal. Think Bryn, Brynn, and Brynne and there may be 4 or 5 flocks that each use that as a sheep name so the real true name could be Desert Weyr Bryn, or Burp Hollow Bryn and when you’r talking genetics it really matters which is which. Getting that in writing means faster more accurate results back to the person with the question.

This prompted me to look at what I consider inboxes vs what i conside Someday/maybe lists.

Task management - I don’t use the Omnifocus Inbox except for Siri stuff which is then properly processed as soon as I am back at my main computer into the rest of my OF system. So an example is a note I made by asking siri to remind me that sheep tag number 1680 was lost and mom was across the pasture ingnoring the baas. I’ll note it as a downcheck on the mother because she lost her lamb. So it’s at zero within hours of gettign something in it.

Notes - I have an inbox in both my Obsidian vault and my main notebook DEVONThink Database. The DT one gets emptied for sure at least once a week and I try to get it emptied at the end of each day but often the things sitting in there at the end of the day are Rich Text clippings that need to be annotated. Obsidian right now is huge because I’m moving things into it from DT and using that as an opportunity to totally revisit everything I put in there. Some stuff sits in the Obsidian inbox for a long time as I decide how to adapt it to Markdown and what to do with it. Since I am also playing with my Obsidian structure and workflow I’m not too concerned about that at this time. Once this conversion and structure process is done I expect the Obsidian inbox to be emptied pretty much every day as well.

Slack/Discord teams - I have 1 slack channel that I am in that is for my Mastermind group and it gets reviewed several times a day. I don’t use Discord except under duress when I need an immediate answer to something as I am working. I don’t like real time conversations in general and find that sort of real time chat disrupting. I prefer forums like this where I can hold a conversation without caring about timezones or locations.

Forums - I follow several forums and check most of them daily. They include MPU, the Black Welsh Mountain Sheep forum, GTD Connect and Linking Your Thinking. If I am dealing with a problem or issue I check forums like the Obsidian, DEVONThink, Zotero, Lightroom Queen or others as needed. I don’t really consider them inboxes as I can dump all of my forums and have if other work takes precedence. The only one that is critical that I must check daily is the Black Welsh one because I am the administrator.

Social networks - I don’t use social networks. I am on Twitter and post there but I only go and read it if I feel I have time. So maybe once or twice a week I’ll look at stuff. I use Tweetdeck and have the people I “follow” sorted so I can quickly get to the the few I care about. Don’t use any other social networks. I can leave Twitter unread for months and just pick up where I left off. No need toscroll and read anything there.

Reading Lists are not inboxes. I keep a long list of books I want to read that are new and one of books I want to re-read but that is more like a Someday/Maybe list than an inbox. I never expect it to ever be at zero. I don’t use any save for later reading apps for web stuff. Either I go read it when I read the news (max 1/2 hour a day) and if necessary I’ll clip the resulting article as a reference if I want to keep it but I never mark it for reading later.

RSS feeds - none

Messages - Again not an inbox. I deal with all text messages at my first available opportunity. I don’t use whatsApp or anything other than standard messages on the iPhone. Often the people I correspond with use text messages in place of phone calls again because of the asynchronous nature of the interaction and because there is a clear written trail of what was said which is very important to me. So I treat them like a ohone call and deal with them as soon as my hands are free.

Physical inboxes: I really only have 1 and I get it to empty at least once a week.

An Inbox that you didn’t include is the Safari Bookmarks list. When I an researching something I often read a lot and quickly save bookmarks of useful web pages into the Safari bookmark list. At the end of the project or the section of the project that I was researching I go through it and either delete them, add them to a note in DEVONThink as project support material, clip the article for project support or make a specific note with a subset of a web page (like for code snippets) So my Safari inbox gets to zero on an irregular basis. I do also make sure that at least once a month I go in and clean any trash out of it that is not part of an ongoing project.

I do consider inbox zero or at least well processed inputs a critical function. I try to allow about 2 hours a day to process new inputs into my systems. Right now during lambing I’m lucky to get an hour a day in and things are starting to pile up. It looks like we have a lambing lull with no ewes expected to lamb in the next day so I’ll make a concerted effort to fully process everything today.

4 Likes

Thank you @Bmosbacker and @iOlly for your insights! :pray:

1 Like