Escaping the iCloud roach motel

Also in Europe, but you can get a 1TB Nextcloud instance at Hetzner in Germany for €5,11/month.

3 Likes

you’ve got it. New discussion thread set up

Synology Photo versus PhotoPrism

there may be use case that DT database needs to be in the cloud. In my case, my primary DT databases are in a Mac Mini which obviously is stationary. I want to sync all the databases to my 14"MBP so that when I am away from home, I have the most up-to-date information. Not sure using DT Cloudkit sync is the only way to do this. I would like to hear other suggestions

Syncing is different, the files should still be stored on a hard drive, they’re just syncing to other devices.

I use CloudKit to sync (also be aware CloudKit is different to iCloud Drive, they’re separate services though I think run on the same infrastructure. You cannot “see” stuff that’s syncing via CloudKit. It’s not like opening iCloud and there all your files are - you can’t see what happens with CloudKit). Anyway CloudKit is rubbish and has been unreliable for weeks now, so I certainly don’t recommend it and the DT developers don’t either. (I also suspect CloudKit is how Apple Notes syncs and as we know that’s also been rubbish for weeks now…)

DT recommend Bonjour for syncing devices on the same network, which I will probably switch to soon, and there are other options. There’s a section in the manual that explains different options and how to set them up. But, the files themselves will still reside on your Mac.

2 Likes

In addition to the iCloud Drive method, various posts have described at least four different methods used by Apple behind the scenes to synchronize apps between devices, all called CloudKit. Syncing behavior with CloudKit-enabled apps varies depending upon the goals, designs, and skills of the developer behind each app. Also, at times, Apple’s infrastructure, or parts thereof, suffer outages and partial outages. All these factors affect the performance that we observe.

I think that CloudKit, with all these factors taken into consideration, works well for me.

@r2d2 just posted a useful iCloud diagnostic link on another thread.

2 Likes

I just checked my Dropbox account that I hardly ever log in to. Well, except to share a video or two, once in a blue moon.

I have 12.63GB of free space and my documents folder in iCloud is just over 3GB, so I could make the switch for free. I also only need it installed on 3 devices, so again, free works. Given all the scary stories on here and another on this week’s ATP podcast, and I’m thinking of moving over.

How do you use Google, under the DOD contract?!

1 Like

I’d be amazed if David, Stephen or the admins would expel anyone for telling the truth. They’re aware that Apple has it’s own challenges and deficiencies.

1 Like

I would think, that they would more likely make a bet, on how many storage the customer really use out of their 2TB available.
And I would expect, that the vast majority isn’t even close to the limit, so they spare a lot on the unused storage space.

Under the above consumption, it is way more likely, that more space out of the 2TB are in use, with more people using this plan.

You’ve not seen my Daughters’ photo libraries :wink:

2 Likes

I saw an article from Google where it implied (but not outright stated) that their entire infrastructure was audited to DoD standards. Can’t put my hands on the link at the moment, but it’s one of those weasel-y marketing things that could’ve been taken as meaning “our entire cloud” or “our entire government cloud”. My bet is on the latter.

This section talks about auditing stuff.

Nope. Under a standard PEM contract.

Pay Each Month.

Marco Arment made a similar comment on ATP #516

1 Like

Indeed, this certainly seems confirmed by my experience. Apple support failed to call me back so I called them again. I’m scheduled for a follow-up with senior engineers on Monday. This has been a sad and frustrating experience.

I thought CloudKit sync is a lot more robust than simple iCloud sync. This does not explain many issues mentioned in the Update v2: Needing Serious Advice re: Losing Faith in Apple Notes discussion

Sorry, I know next to nothing about how iCloud works and even less about Cloudkit. I have on occasion offered “solutions” that appeared to work for me, at least once.

The article that @R2D2 posted in “ Best Option . . . “ is one of the most informative I have read. I had no idea that iCloud is a database.

It states, "iCloud is one of those features in macOS which works almost all the time for the great majority of users.” I agree, and that’s why I don’t depend on it.

Dang this thread is informative. A heartfelt thank you to all

3 Likes

Per user, right?

Ah yes, I remember getting to the bottom of that and being unwilling to hit that big off switch, given I was already confident it would not work. (Because you can’t get a bigger off switch than wiping and selling the laptop and buying a new one and it still has the same problem.)

My case proved that sometimes it’s really not you and there is nothing you can do about it.

All I can offer is that I was exhilirated when mine started working 842 days after I first reported the issue.