Escaping the iCloud roach motel

Agreed. I do Time Machine backups and Backblaze as well. My super important files (videos/photos) are on an external drive backed up to both as well.

1 Like

Apparently, if you turn off iCloud Drive, then the other stuff (such as app data syncing) gets turned off also. This was recently discussed in Under the Radar (Marco Arment and David Smithā€™s developer podcast). Apparently it is a problem for people who are provisioned with devices by their employers who disable iCloud Drive. All apps which use any of the various iCloud options to sync data donā€™t work for those people.

Therefore, I would suggest simply moving your documents out of the synced directories but leaving iCloud drive enabled. Those directories can just be left empty and you can store your files elsewhere. Of course, you can specifically disable syncing of the desktop without turning off iCloud drive, so you can still do that.

I think that applies to just about all the options, doesnā€™t it?

This is what I do. No point turning it off completely, because some apps use it and itā€™s beneficial. But you donā€™t put more than necessary into a leaky boat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Putting Documents and Desktop in iCloud can be turned off separately from iCloud.

That was the source of some of my irritation: if you turn off iCloud, your Documents and Desktop are saved as an archive folder. If you only turn off Documents & Desktop in iCloud, they are just deleted

1 Like

Maybe thereā€™s no need to changešŸ™‚

As far as syncing, SyncThing works well. It doesnā€™t store anything in the cloud, only syncs between devices. Itā€™s cross platform, encrypted, etc.

If you also need storage, there are Nextcloud providers so you donā€™t have to set up your own server. They all seem to be in Europe, and expensive.
Linode has ā€œeasyā€ setups of Nextcloud servers. As I recall a small shared server is $10/mo for 50GiB. You could also use the server to run a personal website, etc.

I should also point out that Nextcloud offers more than just file sync - it also has apps for notes, tasks, working with OpenOffice, email, collaboration, etc. all through the web interface.

When I recently researched pricing for Dropbox alternatives, I found it to be among the more affordable options. E.g. Box is $10/mo for 100GiB.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used iCloud, Dropbox, and OneDrive, and Google Drive is hands down the fastest and most reliable.

Read their privacy policies. They do collect data on you when you use many of their free services but they keep it to themselves. They donā€™t if you are using their paid services. Google Workspace legal and compliance

Iā€™ve decided if the U.S. Department of Defenseā€™s (DOD) has given them Impact Level 4 (IL4) authorization my data is probably safe with them :wink:

Google Workspace is $12/month for email and 2TB storage.

1 Like

Does this refer to a service such as pCloud? Iā€™m really in the dark about all of this stuff though reading with earnest. I have a little bit of stuff there. Why is this dangerous? Thanks

Sorry @WayneG I really wish it was, but trust me when I tell you that this isnā€™t the way it worksā€¦

1 Like

Think of it this way.

• Storage costs a provider money on some sort of an ongoing basis. Whether thatā€™s a monthly payment to another provider, consistent replacement of drives in a storage array, or whatever, it costs money.
  • Bandwidth moving to and from their company costs them money on a monthly basis, guaranteed.

If a company has monthly bills, and is offering users a one-time fee for ā€œlifetimeā€ access, in order to be profitable that means the the one-time fee MUST be high enough to cover the entire lifetime of costs.

2 terabytes of storage at the cheapest utility-rate provider Iā€™m aware of (Backblaze B2) costs $10 per month. Dropbox, Apple, and Google are all comparable to that rate, and for that matter so is PCloud if you pay monthly. So at a rate of $399 for ā€œlifetimeā€ 2 TB, your $399 would pay for a little over 3 years of storage.

In a situation like that, one of these things must be true:

• They somehow figured out how to be a ton more profitable than Backblaze B2, Apple, Google, and Dropbox.
  • They arenā€™t planning to survive past a few years out (ā€œlifetimeā€ logically means ā€œthe life of the companyā€)
  • Theyā€™re intentionally running these ā€œlifetimeā€ subscriptions at a loss and possibly burning VC money, hoping to get acquired at some point
  • Theyā€™re running some sort of Ponzi scheme where they figure revenue from future customers will pay for current customers
  • Theyā€™ve figured out some sneaky way to monetize your data

None of those options are good for you.

There are good companies out there with solid business models. Depending on what youā€™re doing, Google Drive, Backblaze B2, Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. are all good, viable options by stable companies.

Iā€™d highly suggest you invest in one of them.

And if youā€™re just doing online backup, IMHO Backblaze Backup canā€™t be beat for the price. :slight_smile:

(EDIT: Edited the bulleted list to not single out PCloud directly.)

7 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. It makes great sense. I have used Backblaze for years which includes backing up my own external hard drives. I do no collaboration, only sync between my devices. I got a ā€œdealā€ on pcloud last year, so my investment isnā€™t great, but I really appreciate you explaining the business strategy aspect so I am more careful in the future.

1 Like

With DSM7 have been incredibly happy with Photos app. The auto upload works well, and option to delete photos from phone after upload is great. It now supported private and group folders, so my wife and I each upload all photos to private are, then we move over the keepers to the shared public folders.

Of note synology released a new photos Apple TV app which is great (and supports videos we uploaded from phone). Photoprism has some cool features but the Apple TV app and ease of use gives me enough to not mess with it.

A possibility, but maybe being a ton more profitable isnā€™t necessary, just profitable. Theyā€™re reselling cloud storage like many other companies, and we donā€™t know the wholesale rates for storage, bandwidth, etc.

Lots of accusations here, without any evidence.

Theyā€™ve been around 9 years and have 16 million users.

Not a Ponzi scheme.

Also not monetizing peoplesā€™ data, as itā€™s encrypted in transit and at rest, GDPR laws, etc.

They need to be profitable enough that, for 3.5 years of their own monthly rate, they can provide what an end user would expect by the term ā€œlifetime 2 TBā€. Their own definition of ā€œlifetimeā€ is ā€œ99 years or the lifetime of the subscriberā€.

The fact remains that every company - including themselves - is selling storage at a monthly rate of about $10 for 2 TB. Charging $400 for ā€œlifetime 2 TBā€ and bundling in all the transfer bandwidth canā€™t possibly be sustainable unless the current market price of storage from the other cloud providers is massively inflated above the actual costs.

Not necessarily intending to single out PCloud (although I used their name in the example since thatā€™s what we were talking about), but in general this is stuff thatā€™s all happened with other companies in the past.

And of course if you assert that theyā€™re profitable enough at $400 to provide ā€œlifetime 2 TBā€, then none of the other things would have to be true. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for pointing this out. I did not realised that Synology Photos has a TV app.

do you mean that the Synology Apple TV app is good enough so you are using Synology Photo and NOT Photoprism?

You write very well for a walrus.

Must be tricky with those big flippers.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Some of their other services seem overpriced to me. For example, the Family Lifetime plan is $595 for 2TiB, which is essentially the same $400 plan with a few more users. On average, adding Bob and the kids isnā€™t going to add that much demand for bandwidth.

They also have a Family Lifetime plan at $1499 for 10TiB.

They also have an encryption addon for $150 that adds client-side encryption. Seems to be a large profit margin on that.

And, their password manager $29/yr, $149/life.

If I were in need, I might give their monthly or annual plan a try. Their selective synchronization works the way youā€™d think all cloud services would work. Right-click a folder, select Sync, tell it where in your cloud to sync it to. Done. No ~/Library/CloudStorage annoyances.

Yes. The synology photos app is dead simple to set up and the Apple TV app is pretty darn good.

Fair warning I self host WebDAV server for devonthink, Zotero, self host audiobookshelf, Calibre-web, kavita, and paperless-ngx via docker (which takes a bit to learn), And while I can easily host something like photoprism, the synology app is so easy to set up, more than adequate, and most importantly hits that I wife acceptance factor that I run with it. Apple TV app was the cherry on top.

2 Likes

Yeah, as you mentioned the encryption seems ridiculously priced. They still advertise the vanilla service as AES encrypted, but itā€™s encrypted with keys that they control. So your data is effectively available to their company employees, and anybody else that manages to get the key.

No, but he kids might have 70 some years to go until ā€œlifetimeā€ runs out. :smiley:

All kidding aside, Iā€™m guessing that ā€œfamilyā€ plans mainly mean that the user is more likely to actually use their entire data cap, because there are more people.

If Iā€™m understanding correctly, thatā€™s actually a pretty slick feature. If Iā€™m understanding correctly, it sounds like they might actually be implementing Appleā€™s document/desktop cloud sync the way Apple should be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didnā€™t think pCloud was a reseller. Theyā€™re a low cost operation: about 40 employees with hardware in two data centers (EU and US.) Similar to Backblaze but about a fifth of the headcount.

Paying for four years of cloud storage up front is a pessimistic bet by the user that prices wonā€™t continue to be driven down. pCloud is an optimistic company.

just installed the Apple TV app. It is surprisingly good. Now I am more incline to send more photos (such as those from DSLR and mirrorless cameras) to my NAS and let Synology Photos deal with them. I intend to remove my Photoprism docker container now as I do not think it would be the same on Apple TV