Evernote..Anyone Still Using It?

I thought that activity was embarrassing. No significant new features for individual users for more than a year and a half, and then they come out with a major announcement that they’ve … refreshed their logo and font? GMAFB!

3 Likes

no. used to be a big fan but when they switched to pay, I dropped it. Apple notes and Notability handle my note taking needs; I also use blank PDFs in Documents by Reedle as a note canvas.
Hank

2 Likes

I’ve been looking over the fence. Right now I’m using Bear and I’d rather have notebooks and some of the sharing power, but I’m not about to pay over four times what I am now for my notes app. @robbyburns’s latest blog post has me feeling better about sticking with Bear.

1 Like

I am still using Evernote, but spreading myself over different apps. (which is bad to do). But I need to re-secure a proper workflow again.

1. Drafts on iOS (waiting for Mac) - Thought Begins
  2. I move the Drafts to ByWord - Distraction Free
  3. I move from Byword to Evernote - Final Form / Presenter Notes

Still experimenting with DevonThink, but half the time I forget I have it. It may be great for archival, but I can’t get my thoughts into it for some reason.

Extremely disappointed with Evernote’s recent update. A big hyped update over what a logo??? That was a big irritation.

3 Likes

I have to admit my disappointment. I saw the big countdown on their Twitter feed and got excited. Rebranding is always more exciting to employees of a company than it is to their users. They spent months with focus groups within and without the company and probably quite a lot of money (it’s expensive to rebrand). It sort of reminds me of how organizations come up with new strategic plans and all the internal people are so excited. Their constituents and customers, not so much.

1 Like

Yeh, I am really bummed out. When I saw all of the twitter traffic I thought we were getting a new version with a major software refresh… It’s a bust :frowning:

1 Like

I’m still using it, particularly for notes of interest to the family (generally coming from emails - via Airmail or via the Evernote email address).

But my keenness has worn off somewhat. They really haven’t done anything exciting in a long while.

1 Like

It’s not exciting to employees either. It’s exciting to the marketing department and the top brass. Maybe not even the top brass.

3 Likes

I have recently started using Keep IT from reinvented software. So far it does what I need. I mainly used EN for document storage.

3 Likes

You could be right. Depends on whether or not they’re giving out free logo stuff to go along with the rebranding launch.

I agree, the rebrand was more “fizzle” than “pop”. The rebranding article on Medium did little to impress me. It’s still the same app, and in the last few weeks I’ve been using more and more of my iCloud-based processes to see if I really need to hang onto EN.

hmmm ive been hesitant to respond as EN user since 2010… it fits my simple needs and i enjoy the accurate searching. I try not to follow the shiny new lights when it comes to tools aka I don’t switch out much …

I would say today I’m concerned about not just their ability to continue to innvoate (which I agree is lacking) but also their long term life; seeing this article from gruber site was like HMM

the rebranding was annoying and listening to the latest Cortex i agree w/ Grays feedback of all this PR around the brand isn’t helping the situation

Anyway i might pull my head out the sand and start looking at options- I mainly use EN for PDFs and text snippets but I don’t want to keep adding more notes if I need to move. Right now at 1400 notes which I could trim down a bit but this won’t be a small endeavor to take on

4 Likes

I agree, this is the first time I have been concerned. I am very invested in Evernote and my workflow revolves around it. Nothing else I have seen has the speed of getting information into and out of Evernote. Plus, all the quick ways you can get information into it including Scannable, the menu quick note, Skitch, emailing into it, and drag and drop.

This one will hurt if they don’t turn it around.

1 Like

I am no longer using Evernote. Dumped it for Notion.

There are a ton of tradeoffs using this but the company is gaining traction and is increasing their user base exponentially as Evernote stalls.

The real problems with Notion are because they need to be cross-platform, they use Electron for their desktop apps and React Native for the mobile apps. I understand the quick development time, but sometimes my dashboard refreshes and reloads since it is a web app first.

The other is I am waiting on a Web Clipper and iOS Share Extension. These are on the roadmap and I can’t wait to try them.

I don’t think, because of the tech used, it will be able to be automated with Drafts or anything like that. I hope it will but I doubt it. It’s easy to get info in and out: open a page and start typing. You can export your workspace as well.

I find the dashboard model far superior to Evernote’s notebook model, and Notion has markdown support.

With Things 3, Notion, and Fantastical 2 hooked up to Google Calendar, I have found my perfect system, at least for now.

1 Like

Sadly, I agree. I’ve also been using Evernote for many years, as I posted just last month. But it appears I need to start planning my EN exit strategy.

1 Like

Same boat as most. Used it since it started as a digital filing cabinet but read yesterday they have had a mass exodus of high level staff this month and are going to look for funding again so now starting to plan to move! Just don’t know what too, have tried the usual suspects previously and couldn’t find the right fit.

For some of us who are heavy EN users, can we suggest exit strategy solutions so that all of us can benefit and help each other out when the time comes? I have been experimenting with DevonThink, but I am struggling to get it to “stick” like Evernote into my workflow.

I am also concerned about the situation. I have been an EN user for quite a few years. I like Evernote — but have not been “thrilled” with it. I am not looking for new features, I am pretty happy with what it does (with one exception, I would like a clean, plain text way to get stuff out). For me, the issue has always been the somewhat idiosyncratic user experience.

I spent the last year playing with OneNote (on the Mac) and have pretty much given up. It is just lacking in so many ways. I played with DevonThink just a little bit about a year ago and wasn’t impressed — it just seemed like an alternative file system. I tried Bear last month but didn’t like the fact that the formatting tags (like HL1) showed up in the note — why do I want that?

So, right now I am at a loss. Maybe I should move to Apple Notes. I don’t know.

News like this makes me glad I got out of Evernote years ago when some early tectonic rumblings were being felt… This seems like a product about to die or do a 180º shift towards a new business model, both of which could be bad for a large portion of users…

(DEVONthink and Notes are what I have used for the last 5 or so years)

People seem to use Evernote so many different ways for so many different things that I’m guessing exit strategies will be pretty varied and individualized. For one person Apple Notes may be the best replacement, for someone else, DEVONthink, etc.

1 Like