External Monitor Issue

Hey MPU,

I have had a Dell P2715Q monitor hooked up to my Macbook Pro (retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) I have the DisplayPort of the monitor going into Thunderbolt 2 port on my mac. This worked great for the last 2 years. All of a sudden today it stopped working. I did countless resets, I tried a different macbook pro. No luck.

However, when I used the HDMI to HDMI connection that worked.

I thought about getting a new wire DisplayPort to HDMI (since I can pick that up today from a store locally) and see if the cause is the DisplayPort issue on the monitor.

I thought about getting a new wire DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 2 (will take a day or 2 , not sold locally - Amazon to help)

Thoughts? Best option to retain 4K resolution?

A different DisplayPort cable would be a good place to start. That will let you know if the issue is with your current cable or the monitor itself.

It’s technically possible to use 4K over an HDMI cable, but the Dell P2715Q only supports 30Hz, which is not very useable. I recommend sticking with DisplayPort.

If you haven’t already, you might also give Dell’s tech support a call. I used their services once before and found they were very helpful.

I hope this helps!

1 Like