Facebook buys Giphy

So I guess it’s time to uninstall the app and its keyboard if you ever happened to use it…

2 Likes

If anyone is looking for an alternative, I’m loving GifWrapped!

7 Likes

THANK YOU! Was hoping an alternative existed!

Second! I use it in the share sheet all the time.

1 Like

I just downloaded! What a great app. Outside of great search, turning Live Photo’s in GIFs easily and then save. Already paid for premium. Thanks for recommendation.

2 Likes

I met the developer at WWDC last year and he’s a lovely chap from Australia, I immediately switched to the app and haven’t regretted it once!

4 Likes

Australia FTW! I’m glad we’re not forgotten about being an island on the other side of the world :wink:

2 Likes

I love GIFwrapped for my personal library. It does use Giphy search but the developer does it right:

Personally, if you’re not signed in to Giphy, it’s probably fine. Having an Instagram account gives you way more exposure to Facebook.

Fear is where GIPHY is used. We know that FB has been very successful in creating shadow profiles (those not on FB), and given that GIPHY is used in Slack, iMessage, etc… what info can they grab from there? Might be nothing… but something people want to look at for sure.

1 Like

I know I’m never using Giphy anymore. (And I’m that close to deleting my whole Facebook presence, which I still need for promotional purposes, but the gap between using it and what I believe in is starting to border on the unbearable.)

1 Like

I don’t quite understand GIFwrapped. My main messaging app is WhatsApp and it has native GIF searching and ability to Star favorites built in. How does one use GIFwrapped in this case? I suppose if you are an iMessage user, you might find it useful.

You don’t use GIFwrapped in WhatsApp in the native GIF search engine because it’s powered by Giphy. Facebook now owns both. See the pattern…?

Yeah, and I can’t avoid WhatsApp as it’s the IM platform used by the whole country. I’m at Facebook’s mercy!

2 Likes
2 Likes