Facetime via iPhone - other person can't hear me ...?

Got my MacBook all set up. Trying to call somebody with Facetime on the Mac, dialed through my phone, using my Bluetooth headset on my Mac.

The Mac is set for both sound input and output to go through the Bluetooth. If I go to the sound preferences and talk, I can see the little bar moving to indicate I’m speaking. So far so good.

Dial Facetime. Facetime pops up that it’s making a call via my iPhone. Call connects, I can hear them just fine, but they can’t hear me at all.

If I pick up my phone and make the call the “normal” way, everything is fine. So it’s not the cellular connection.

Is there something obvious I’m missing?

Ah…answering my own question. FaceTime has its own settings, and for some reason isn’t defaulting to the system settings. It knew about the Bluetooth headset, but was pretty convinced I should be using the headset with the laptop’s internal microphone. :slight_smile:

I hate when this happens. Apple seems intent on doing things differently :smiley:

1 Like

Yep. A few months ago I spent an hour “troubleshooting” this problem, which really wasn’t getting anywhere, because I assumed the culprit was anything but FaceTime. Should have assumed it was nothing but FaceTime.

Reminds me of something from a collection of Murphy’s Law type axioms:

FINAGLE’S THIRD LAW - In any collection of data, the figure most obviously correct, beyond all need of checking, is the mistake.

It just boggled my brain when I found it in this case, because (a) I didn’t find the setting in Preferences for the app, and (b) absent a setting in Preferences, I would think the built-in, first party app would be the most likely app to respect the system’s default setting. Apparently not.

1 Like