Fantastical + Cardhop Price Increase

Has anyone from the Euro zone received a message from Flexibits regarding the price increase? In any case, I haven’t heard anything from them yet. Hopefully they will reconsider the move.

1 Like

Well, I unsubscribed, again. I think I’ll stick with the stock app for a while. And contrary to some of you, I prefer the stock app Widgets. The only thing that can be annoying once in a while is when iCloud sync acts up. Is Fantastical sync more reliable? If it’s using iCloud, I assume the answer would be no.

2 Likes

Thank you for getting me off my lazy behind. In looking over Fantastical’s support material again, it clicked that I needed to create a ‘meta’ calendar set that pulled from all the calendars that would impact my openings, and not just think in terms of my existing ‘personal’ or ‘work’ sets.

I was also getting hung up editing the ‘invitation template’ instead of looking at the main Openings setting in the Mac app itself.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

1 Like

Most of the time I unsubscribe right after paying for another year, thinking this will be the last time.

I guess this year will be no different!

3 Likes

To be honest: that is exactly how I deal with most of my subscriptions, too (all of the Apple App Store ones). I do not need “subscription tracker apps” because I am the subscription tracker: I actively extend most of my subscriptions, only when I miss them (which equals unsubscribing right after subscribing). Sometimes even after they have run out. And if I don’t miss them, I probably have not needed them in the first place.

7 Likes

Exactly! I am quite the same actually.

The only reason I use a subscription tracker is mainly because they offer a convenient monthly average cost of all subs combined. I could do the same in a spreadsheet I guess, it’s just more convenient this way.

1 Like

$57 a year for a calendar app? I like the way it looks but I don’t need any of the advanced features. I thought it was overly pricey before a 42% raise.

I’ve unsubscribed and will be using Apple Calendar or BusyCal as a part of a Setapp subscription.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something (or perhaps I’m grandfathered in), but I’ve been using Fantastical for free just fine. None of the advanced features are available, but I don’t use those anyways.

The bummer about Busycal on the Setapp subscription is I don’t think it includes the iOS apps.

1 Like

I can live without most of the advanced features, but I found the ability to have more calendar sets, and to have them syncing across devices, convenient. However I’m not sure the steep price increase justifies that for me, and my subscription expires right after the announced price increase deadline so I will likely drop Fantastical. Moreover they still have not updated the pricing info on the account page so I have no idea how much it will be in euros, which is unprofessional.

As for Cardhop, it was nice, but nothing I can’t do without using Google Contacts and the stock Apple app.

So I just went to check whether pricing in euros has been announced – and, yes, it has. And the increase is 59% (!) and not the 42% for those of us paying in euros:

€44 (€3.67 per month) → €70 per year (€5.83 per month).

cc @MarkusJ

1 Like

You’re right, BusyCal doesn’t include ios on SetApp. But it’s only $6.99 … I don’t know if I’ll use BusyCal or just go back to free Apple Calendar.

It seems to me that when I tried free Fantastical, it gave me almost no features, wouldn’t even show a weekly view (which is what I primarily use). Maybe they’ve changed that. We’ll see what happens when my subscription runs out in March.

The non-subscription Fantastical is very limited if you haven’t grandfathered in a 2.0 purchase.

Ah, I bet that’s why I have some functionality. I did purchase it direct from Flexibits at one point.

I don’t know where you’re getting your pricing from but on the UK app store the price is £38.99. Unless you’re talking about the family subscription?

I really like fantastical. There’s a mass of difference between it and the stock calendar. I use openings and it’s great as is being able to propose a meeting date without all the email tooing and froing. Cardhop is also great at allowing you to make time stamped notes.

It’s expensive if all you need is a calendar, but not if you need to be able to easily arrange meetings and make notes on people you connect with.

2 Likes

Looking at the flag I probably live in a different EU country than Dario, but I indeed see the exact same price increase: :cry:

• €44 (roughly the £38,99 svsmailus mentions) is the current yearly price, in the App Store
  • €5,83 is the new (2023) price per month, when paying yearly, on Flexibits

PS: finally a reason to use Soulver :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for that! Looks like the app store is lagging behind. When I logged in on flexibits it told me my sub has changed the new price is £60 a year.

Looks like I might have to rethink this :roll_eyes:.

Apologies to @dario for doubting his prices!

3 Likes

Found this via /r/macapps, this seems pretty comprehensive and it might be useful for those looking for alternatives to Fantastical:

I have cancelled my subscription for now (I was up for renewal right in January after the new pricing comes into effect). Not sure whether I will migrate to some other app or just wait and see whether I can manage with the free Fantastical (I’m mostly going to miss the calendar sets).

5 Likes

Same. Will miss the calendar sets too. Just wish they would have tiers. Like I don’t use cardhop and don’t need the weather nor the advanced meeting things.

Just the basic app with 1(!) extra calendar set. As a paid customer since v1 I feel a little bit…disappointed.

Oh well. Time for another app I guess.

1 Like

The new prices are now live in the App Store. 69,99 € per year (+59%) here in Germany. I don’t think this is justified and have just cancelled my subscription.

1 Like

I’m with you. The price increase is A LOT, and I’ve paid for every version since the initial release. I was excited for Cardhop, but it’s just not easy for me to use.

I’ve got a little while before I need to renew, and I’m willing to pay for software (and even a subscription!), but this increase for something when I don’t even use all those features, but love the general interface, is difficult to justify.