Yours was a bad comparison between developers who make and sell a wide variety of apps for Apple hardware and Uber’s ride-sharing business that uses an app to sell rides.
(emphasis in quoted material is mine)
If you really have a well-structured argument that mixes Apple’s hardware sales, Apple developer app sales, subscriptions, Uber, and the ride sharing business, then make it.
But cut the snark. You are on the MacPowerUser’s forum, not just any message board.
Okay. You started this by chiming in suggesting that I wasn’t following along. It’s all related, and the Uber and NYC analogy is a very relevant example of fixed market expansion (look it up). The original statement (I quoted) was about new customer acquisition and growth of device sales affecting dev’s ability to sell apps/subscriptions.
You’re focused on widgets and at the end of the day this is a business problem. I’m no genius, but I have had to analyze markets, come up with business plans, been a part of enterprise software sales orgs, and run my own business. I’ve literally had to address very similar problems. If you can’t see how all of this is related then I’ll just stop because this is fruitless…
So, about that Fantastical/Cardhop price increase. It’s been totally worth it for me.
With the discount offered by the MPU show a few weeks ago, I think I’m staying on.
I don’t use calendar sets and my work uses Outlook so I don’t use openings either. But entering and viewing events in Fantastical is so much faster than any other app I’ve tried.
Also, I can change the colour of the widgets (Outlook and stock apps are limited to “system” color), I can easily add interesting calendars (F1 and my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs, and they have the best watch app to boot. That’s worth it to me. Ease and speed of use multiple times per day.
That discount is no longer valid though, is it?
No, it’s not. I should have added it as a “to-do” remember it. ![]()
We were still using Apple IIe’s up until the late 90s at my school. And I still thought they were so cool in 1995
I got my email for the price increase on my October renewal today. It had been so long since the increase was announced, I thought this was a second increase. Luckily the Mac Power Users discount from episode #677 will save me 20% on the renewal. Though I am afraid this will be my last year on the subscription. Thanks again David and Stephen for a great episode and discount.
I wonder whether that’s still valid now.
no, ended feb 20 I believe.
Curious to ask, in which features does busy cal and contacts are better, feature wise than fantastical and carhop, was thinking between the two options. I’ve checked into busy cal vs fantastical, and had a grip on it, but busycontacts vs cardhop was very less seen in comparison, may I know which would you consider and why?