Fantastical justification

Big fan of Fantastical on Mac & iPhone but iPad just doesn’t work for me.

The new sidebar in Gmail to show G calendar is good, not quite as good as Fantastical mini view but they need to keep on their toes as other services are catching them up.

1 Like

When in Gmail or Google Calendar I absolutely love the one-click sidebar slideover to Google Keep, which I use quite often to save random checklists and bus maps. Great free cross-platform Google product, and no ads. So good I’m thinking of playing with Google Tasks as well, which also is available as a one click sidebar action.

I can’t stand the Fantastical UI on iOS, particularly iPad. I do keep the condensed version on Mac undocked for quick calendar entry and I leave it next to mail so I can quickly see my events but I prefer calendar.app in iOS.

Like mail, I keep hoping some app will sweep me off my feet with features but I often fall back to the stock calendar and mail apps. If the stock calendar had better parsing (and it should) I’d have no reason the use fantastical anymore really.

@ccoppin take a look at Readdle Calendars. On the iPad I almost always use the week view, but the others are attractive too.

4 Likes

Now that I think of it, I really don’t care much for Fantastical. I like the easy way you can enter data but that’s just about it. Bottomline it, I really don’t use a calendar much at all! I use to have a terrific app but I searched among my prior apps in the App Store for iOS so it had to have been back when I had a laptop.
I’m glad I happened upon this topic because I likely would have kept on using Fantastical minimally. I’d like to try using a calendar app a great deal more so I’m going to try Apple’s Calendar which already has Fantastical’s information. If I’m not wholehearted about that app, I’ll opt to try Calendar 5. The UI is attractive which for me is important and it looks like it handles the info well. Thanks to all of you!

Corey, I’ve been a BusyCal user since its beginning. Likely like many others here, I’ve tested out most on the market. I’ve come back to BusyCal over and over. If I understand your need correctly, I create the outcome you seek with a “view” using tags and it works beautifully. Happy to share more if needed/wanted.

Calendar 5 have served me well on iOS also since its inception. However, they don’t yet support BusyCal’s tags. BusyCal also has iOS app now which I’ve started to spend more time with and have yet to take a closer look at and syncing tags with it.

1 Like

Thanks, nplanchon! I think I’ll try Calendar for a while still. Then I’ll see how much I like Calendar5! If not, Busy Cal sounds intriguing! Or maybe I’ll try Busy Cal first. Thanks so much for all the information! It’s nice to know there are alternatives well recommended. I stayed with Fantastical far too long!

I’ve recently moved to a very similar set up and it works well for me. I struggle with Fantastical…I forked out for it on both Mac and iOS and I just don’t like it, but I figure I must be missing something so I keep going back to it…and so the cycle goes on.

I don’t know if this is helpful but I recently discovered a month + list view in Apple’s calendar. I have also used Fantastical but I’ve defaulted back to Apple Calendar. My assistant adds 99% of my calendar entries so ease of adding them is not an issue for me.

1 Like